More Bangkok people turning to face masks - though much viewed clip is old news

webfact

More Bangkok people turning to face masks - though much viewed clip is old news

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that a widely shared clip that purported to show the poor air quality of Bangkok was in fact old news.

A clip of small particles caught in the spotlight of a beam in the Lumpini Park area has been widely viewed after it was shared to the Mem Pho Dam site.

A poster called Pidech Ponpipat advised people "not to forget to wear face masks".

But Thai Rath said that the clip originally aired on February 3rd LAST year.

However, many believe that the air quality in the capital is poor enough to warrant action with doctors advising masks and the public being concerned, said the news media.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-13

I agree that the 'surgical' masks made of paper and other non-woven materials are useless, but an inexpensive properly fitted 3M N95 mask provides perfectly adequate protection against the smallest particulate pollutants.  The more complicated masks (eg one fitted with valves) are unnecessarily more expensive.

image.png.25ee127652bb1c484e25ab927d5407ec.png

46 minutes ago, DNPBC0 said:

I agree that the 'surgical' masks made of paper and other non-woven materials are useless, but an inexpensive properly fitted 3M N95 mask provides perfectly adequate protection against the smallest particulate pollutants.  The more complicated masks (eg one fitted with valves) are unnecessarily more expensive.

image.png.25ee127652bb1c484e25ab927d5407ec.png

I can't wear an N95 and a pair of glasses at the same time.  Move the mask down and the clips keep me from breathing though my nose; move the mask up and I can't see. 

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

i think people wear the surgical style masks when they are sick to prevent the spread of infection, they clearly offer no protection from pollution in the air

I meant, of course, useless for preventing the inhalation of small particle pollutants.

17 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

The wearing of masks by pedestrians and riders has become very noticeable in Bangkok. Now if only motorcycle riders wore helmets. 

Yes. And, it is getting sort of creepy, seeing a lot of mask-wearers all around. Don't get me wrong; I don't blame or judge them. It is just not a great sight :)

17 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I honestly do not care if motorcycle riders wear a helmet or not.

Why do you care?

That is the good thing with motorcycle riders.

Most of the time they only kill them self..... Sad but true