Mothers too young: Inequality fuels adolescent pregnancies in Thailand

webfact

Mothers too young: Inequality fuels adolescent pregnancies in Thailand

IMG_6762-2-Fern_newsbanner.jpg

Fern* is living in an emergency home, a shelter offering crisis care and maternal care for teen mothers. © UNFPA/Ruth Carr

BANGKOK, Thailand – “I had plans for my life, but since I got pregnant I had to plan for my life in a different way,” said Fern*, 18. “If I knew this was going to happen, I would have just focused on my studies. I would not have bothered with that guy.”

Dressed in a loose-fitting maternity dress, Fern sat in a room full of women and girls, some pregnant, others nursing newborns.

They are residents in a UNFPA-supported emergency home – a safe haven offering crisis care and shelter for women and girls who find themselves unexpectedly pregnant. The youngest is just 13, and the half dozen other teens are somewhere between 13 and 18.

Full story: https://www.unfpa.org/news/mothers-too-young-inequality-fuels-adolescent-pregnancies-thailand

-- UNFPA 2018-02-13

It is not the teacher's job to instill morals and responsibility in youth it is the parent's job role.  Parents are supposed to be role models for their children.

Saying that father has to be financially responsible does nothing. Just look at the success and single parent numbers in the US.

The issue to a certain extent is the lifestyle that kids are brought up in.  If you look at the music movies that kids watch.  If you take into account the lack of education of some of the parents and in fact a great deal of the teachers.  

You have to remember that the teachers that are teaching the kids were brought up and educated in the same system that they are now in.  

The youth have to be taught to respect and listen to their elders.  Those that are older and wiser. Thai society has to learn that what no means.

I worked in a school where one of my students showed up in class with bruises when I asked her how she told me and only me that her BF had done it.  When I reported it they said that I was wrong and I was not rehired.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

“She was academically gifted, but her home life was difficult. Her father had been absent for years, and her mother lived elsewhere as a domestic worker.

Fern was left alone, living in a single-room apartment.”

Yeah, clearly her fault eh...

Sigh.

Yeah, clearly her life is so much better now.

8 minutes ago, Genmai said:

For willingly having unprotected sex with a guy she met online? Yes.

The difficulties of one's home life may be an explanation for their irresponsible actions, but it is not an excuse. Despite seeing firsthand how difficult it was for her mother to get by without the father present she still consented to having unprotected sex with a guy she met online and now she is reaping the consequences of her actions. However I agree with the others here who have stated that schools needs to do a much better job of instilling common sense regarding sexual activity. But let's not kid ourselves that at the end of the day unless she was raped it came down to her individual choice.

She got pregnant. 

True. 

However, the circumstances of her upbringing cannot be discounted as a the dominant factor in how she acted. 

Lets hope the NGO supporting her can help her turn her life around for the better. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Genmai said:

Agreed, however those circumstances do not absolve her of responsibility. No matter how bad her upbringing was it does not discount the fact that she could have said "No", but chose not to. Rapists do not get a free pass by claiming to be victims of child abuse. The same principle holds here.

You're not going to help quell this epidemic by putting the blame on society. Individuals have to be held accountable to their actions and the (horrible) story of their consequences has to be spread and used to motivate others to make smarter decisions about their lives. When you play the compassion card and put all the blame on society you don't get smart responsible functional nations. You get Thailand instead.

I’m not playing any compassion card.

Her upbringing, and the harsh inequalities within it, contributed to her behaviour. 

Thankfully, there are groups like this NGO to help pick up the pieces. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

How was she paying for the apartment, food and school fees?

Just wondering ............

Are you sure?

Because it seems you are trying to blame the woman for what happened. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

Thailand needs more children to support the aging population. Good job!

And, do not, at any cost, teach schoolchildren about birth control, how to use condoms, or, god beware, give them any sex education! Thailand needs many children from teenage mothers, to be future cheap laborers... :ph34r:

There is a total lack of sex education in Thailand. Our village has mothers as young as 13, many have left there kids with the grandparents and gone to pattaya. Inequality is not the only reason for teenage mothers, lake of education and the fact that the fathers can just walk away with no financial contribution to the mother.

As a farther of a teenage daughter it is worrying. I am the only person who has talked to my daughter about sex as no one else will. It is not easy to talk to your kids about sex but it is better than having to look after your grand kids so your kid can go back to school.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Completely her fault. Teenage girls know where babies come from these days. She did not even have to “just say no” as oral contraceptives are available in any small mini-mart for a pittance.

Yes she is disadvantaged but it is well time to avoid the classic Liberal excuse mongering and admit certain life outcomes are the sole result of...
Personal Responsibility.

I’d rather avoid the classic right wing response. 

I also avoid the classic knee jerk reaction of victim blaming. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

There is a total lack of sex education in Thailand. Our village has mothers as young as 13, many have left there kids with the grandparents and gone to pattaya. Inequality is not the only reason for teenage mothers, lake of education and the fact that the fathers can just walk away with no financial contribution to the mother.

As a farther of a teenage daughter it is worrying. I am the only person who has talked to my daughter about sex as no one else will. It is not easy to talk to your kids about sex but it is better than having to look after your grand kids so your kid can go back to school.

Spot on!

Both of my ex. wife's sisters were pregnant by the age of 15, both did what a lot of them do in this situation, dumped the children on to Mum & Dad almost as soon as they were born, both sisters went on to produce a further 2 each before they were 20, all different fathers!

So even though the first ones may have been due to a lack of education, the following ones were certainly not, as they had already seen the consequences!

A lot of the time the issue is it is just so easy to dump the babies on to Mum & Dad and just carry on, harsh but true.

To be fair, my ex. wife did have to look after our 2 sons, but think that was more because she knew that was what was expected and I was there to pay for it all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

It is not the teacher's job to instill morals and responsibility in youth it is the parent's job role.  Parents are supposed to be role models for their children.

Saying that father has to be financially responsible does nothing. Just look at the success and single parent numbers in the US.

The issue to a certain extent is the lifestyle that kids are brought up in.  If you look at the music movies that kids watch.  If you take into account the lack of education of some of the parents and in fact a great deal of the teachers.  

You have to remember that the teachers that are teaching the kids were brought up and educated in the same system that they are now in.  

The youth have to be taught to respect and listen to their elders.  Those that are older and wiser. Thai society has to learn that what no means.

I worked in a school where one of my students showed up in class with bruises when I asked her how she told me and only me that her BF had done it.  When I reported it they said that I was wrong and I was not rehired.

It is not the teacher's job to instill morals and responsibility in youth it is the parent's job role. 

How can that not be the teacher's job? Doesn't sexual and other education take place at school and at home?

The problem is that Thai students never get material taught that's important to them. It's saddening that kids are not educated at school about diseases, pregnancies, and other related topics.

Many parents do not have the needed knowledge to teach their kids what they should know. BTW, too many kids can't talk to their parents about certain things in life, so they keep it for themselves. 

Edited by jenny2017

5 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

The problem is so many females get the pussy pass for their poor life decisions, along with a load of white knights excusing them.

Haven't you noticed yet, every problem a female has, is the fault of a man, men are bad, women are blameless.

Complete and utter BS!

Please point out, where men are blamed in this whole threat!

Saying, that the father should take a part of the responsibility, does not equal "blaming men"!

Asking for a sensible education at the <deleted> school, does not equal "blaming men"!

Are you denying, that a society, who lets men go free and #$%^ around, fathering children left and right without consequences, is the right way?

• Like 2