43 road racers rounded up and 59 motorcycles seized in Bangkok

webfact

43 road racers rounded up and 59 motorcycles seized in Bangkok

By The Nation

499cf188b54d07b4f72a13e48201d8fa.jpeg

Police detained 43 road racers on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road and seized 59 motorcycles early Thursday.

Police received a tip-off that young racers would gather on Valentine's Day to race in the Din Daeng, Vibhavadi and Bang Khen areas, which they staked out.

6da8384b5ff374c870683dd62e0c1748.jpeg

At 3am, police found motorcyclists gathering on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road near Wat Samien Naree School and trapped them in a U-turn area before detaining them.

4d4c48d9115c698b7560a34d92614fde.jpeg

However, several drivers and passengers riding pillion managed to evade police, said Pol Lt-Colonel Pansak Amarapithak, a traffic police officer of Vibhavadi Police Station.

He said police would seek to make more arrests by tracing the owners of the seized motorcycles.

40a0befefa3a81c214f2bf813ff5f2b6.jpeg

25d7a41edcfb5fd8100209bbb8207afb.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30338896

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-15

2 hours ago, quandow said:

Is there anywhere legal for them to race? I lived in a county in Washington State that had a similar problem. They built a drag strip, charged entry for competition, sold refreshments, had EMT's present in case of injuries - voilà! Turned it into a profitable event. Win win.

Such a happening would take a lot of thinking through and I question if many Thais have that capability.  Also, who would sponsor such a project?  The government is too concerned about reducing the speed of the proposed "bullet" trains because of the cost, let alone the speeding motorbikes, and may be considering reducing the number of lines for such trains.  Therefore, they do not have sufficient funds.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, quandow said:

Is there anywhere legal for them to race? I lived in a county in Washington State that had a similar problem. They built a drag strip, charged entry for competition, sold refreshments, had EMT's present in case of injuries - voilà! Turned it into a profitable event. Win win.

Maybe too tame; would take some of the thrill out of it. And who would pay for a more controlled experience?

The small horde of racers I see many nights on the 3256 Tamru-Bangphlii seem to get as much kick out of evading the occasional police presence as in the racing itself. They have lookouts and staggered heats in various locations along the straight stretch of open road. When it gets hot they break up and go every which way, and then just move down the road a ways to resume. It's a kick to watch. And hard to bust without any police pursuit capability, and even then most would smoke any police bike or pickup I've seen.  

Edited by drtreelove
  • Like 2

Go for it boys.... Have fun while your young, run and ride from the cops and enjoy.... Rebel and if you get it wrong... you die....you won't be the first and you won't be the last. 

To the old crush, tax or ban posters.... Get a life, but I guess it is too late for most of you...... You've already missed out or never had fun

Edited by tryasimight
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Go for it boys.... Have fun while your young, run and ride from the cops and enjoy.... Rebel and if you get it wrong... you die....you won't be the first and you won't be the last. 

To the old crush, tax or ban posters.... Get a life, but I guess it is too late for most of you...... You've already missed out or never had fun

Wouldn't be any fun if the coppers didn't occasionally harass them. Have fun boys.

10 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

There’s proof that TV isn’t all “ old folk”. A few presumably younger element who classify “fun” as causing accidents and danger on the roads! You have integrated well into the crazier section of Thai society!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This has been going on for a very long time with every type of transportation ever invented. It's just plain natural to want to go fast.

29 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

There’s proof that TV isn’t all “ old folk”. A few presumably younger element who classify “fun” as causing accidents and danger on the roads! You have integrated well into the crazier section of Thai society!

I'm in the old fart category, but only because they put innocents at risk.  When I read that it's happening at 03:00, my objections go waaaaay down.  The wee hours are for sleeping.  And doing crazy things if you're so inclined.  Which, I'm not.