Permit to teach music without degree

Chrisdoc

Hi. I was a private piano teacher in Australia putting students through the Australian Music Examination Board system. I have no official qualifications except a 10 week Certificate 4 in Training and Assessment but worked for years as a professional musician so do have a wide knowledge of my subject including a number of CD'S. I also have copies of my exam students' results including a number of distinctions and high distinctions. My Thai friend is a music teacher and goes to several different schools each week to hold music workshops and I am interested in doing the same. (I believe permits are usually site specific). I was talking to a teacher a while ago and he said there was a permit for teachers with specific skills such as myself. He said that many sports coaches are employed using it. Unfortunately he has left Thailand so I can't ask him again but I wondered if anyone knows about this.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I taught music without a degree legally at several international schools near Pattaya. I was considered a private tutor and this worked. Over the last few years, budgets have tightened, lesson duration has shortened to allow more students per day, and foreign teachers are being forced out because Thai counterparts charge MUCH less. Advertise yourself as an experienced private tutor and the best of luck.

7 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

I was talking to a teacher a while ago and he said there was a permit for teachers with specific skills such as myself.

Are you asking about a work permit or about a qualification to put forward when applying to certain schools?

43 minutes ago, quandow said:

Advertise yourself as an experienced private tutor and the best of luck.

Does that pave the way for receiving a work permit?

I taught music without a degree legally at several international schools near Pattaya. I was considered a private tutor and this worked. Over the last few years, budgets have tightened, lesson duration has shortened to allow more students per day, and foreign teachers are being forced out because Thai counterparts charge MUCH less. Advertise yourself as an experienced private tutor and the best of luck.

Does that pave the way for receiving a work permit?

Thanks for that.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

Was asking about the permit. As far as I understood the guy I talked to said that was possible without an actual degree qualification.

I had no work permit at either of two schools. I was part time and considered a private tutor. These were two upstanding schools and I'm positive there was nothing illegal. I had no benefits, I was paid strictly per student.

On 2/16/2018 at 6:54 AM, quandow said:

I had no work permit at either of two schools. I was part time and considered a private tutor. These were two upstanding schools and I'm positive there was nothing illegal. I had no benefits, I was paid strictly per student.

No, it is illegal to teach privately without a work permit.   The work permit also has to include ALL places where you teach.   

You were working illegally.   

14 hours ago, somchaismith said:

No poster in this thread has any authority from the immigration department.

Well, I worked in the administrative area for a group of schools and I can assure you that a work permit IS required for any type of teaching, including private tutoring.  

It's frequently done, and more private tutoring is likely done without a work permit than with one, but the risk is still there.   One big difference is if people advertise or have an employer, then there is a greater chance of getting caught.   

The average person who gets a call from someone who knows someone who recommended you to tutor their child is at a pretty low risk of being caught, but it is still illegal.  

Archived