Thai National Anthem

Jet Gorgon

Why would one be sitting down in Hualampong train station at any time outside a train?

Cause the banks, shops and pubs aren't open when I get there, so might as well have coffee and toast upstairs, read the once brilliant and now totally left-wing IHT newspaper, do the crossword, and wait for biz to start happening in the big city.

I don't stand up, I also would never stand up at my own countries anthem.

Well in a theater I would stand up, so I am not the only one who is sitting.

I generell I don't like any nationalistic things, I see myself of a world citizen.

Not regarding any country more than another one.

And I see no point in promoting nationalism. Coming from Austria (Hitlers country) I have enough from rasicm.

Is it necessary for farang to do so, or do you think it is "patronising"?

It's not necessary, you're not going to get arrested or beaten up.

I generally don't - ever listened to the words? Kinda strange for a foreigner to stand up for.

Thailand is the unity of Thai blood and body.

The whole country belongs to the Thai people, maintaining thus far for the Thai.

All Thais intend to unite together.

Thais love peace but do not fear to fight.

They will never let anyone threaten their independence.

They will sacrifice every drop of their blood to contribute to the nation, will serve their country with pride and prestige full of victory.

That's a nice translation.

Is it necessary for farang to do so, or do you think it is "patronising"?

It's not necessary, you're not going to get arrested or beaten up.

I generally don't - ever listened to the words? Kinda strange for a foreigner to stand up for.

Thailand is the unity of Thai blood and body.

The whole country belongs to the Thai people, maintaining thus far for the Thai.

All Thais intend to unite together.

Thais love peace but do not fear to fight.

They will never let anyone threaten their independence.

They will sacrifice every drop of their blood to contribute to the nation, will serve their country with pride and prestige full of victory.

That's a nice translation.

The words are irrelevant.

The closest analogy I can think of is at an international sports match or Olympics award ceremony, when they play the national anthems of the competing teams. There would be an outcry if the players from the opposing team wandered around warming up, while the other country's National Anthem was being played.

That's rubbish Bendix, if you want to draw that analogy look at the world cup, how many fans take an interest in their anthem, not all and what about the players, most of the time only half of them are singing.

Thailand is different, they have rules about being disrespectful toward you know who. I always stop what I'm doing when I hear the anthem out of respect for them.

Thanks for the translation Neernam.

The Thai Royal Anthem

The Thai Royal Anthem is reserved for the Royal Family as opposed to the Thai National Anthem which is for common folk. It is played in the presence of Royalty and in cinemas and temple fairs amongst other occasions when an image of the King is shown and everyone stands to attention to show respect.

The words were written by Prince Narisara Nuvadtivongs and the music by Pyotr Schurovsky and it has been in use since 1871 AD.

The Thai wording is as follows:

Kha Wora Phutthachao,

Ao Mano Lae Sira Kran,

Nop Phra Phumiban Bunya Direk,

Ek Baromma Chakkrin Phra Saya Min,

Phra Yotsa Ying Yon,

Yen Sira Phrao Phra Boriban,

Phon Phra Khun Tha Raksa,

Puang Pracha Pensuk San Kho Bandan,

Phra Prasong Dai, Chong Sarit Dang,

Wang Wora Harue Thai, Dut Thawai Chai, Chai-Yo.

This may be translated as:

We, Your Majesty's loyal subjects,

Pay homage with deep heartfelt veneration,

To the supreme Protector of the Realm,

The mightiest of monarchs complete with transcendent virtues,

Under whose benevolent rule, we your subjects,

Receive protection and happiness,

Prosperity and peace.

And we wish that whatsoever Your Majesty may desire,

The same may be fulfilled. Hurrah!

The Thai National Anthem

The National Anthem is played everyday at 8am and 6pm on every village public address system and all TV and radio channels. In country areas people stop and pay attention to the anthem. Even in crowded places such as outside the World Trade Centre in Bangkok the anthem is played and pedestrians stop walking for the duration of it. Such is the respect Thai people have for it.

The music of the Thai national anthem was composed in 1932 by Professor Phra Jenduriyang and its lyrics were written in 1939 by Colonel Luang Saranuprabhandi.

The Thai wording is as follows:

Pra thet thai ruam luat nu'a chat chu'a thai

Pen pra cha rat pha thai kho'ng thai thuk suan

Yu dam rong khong wai dai thang muan

Duay thai luan mai rak sa mak

khi Thai ni rak sa ngop

tae thu'ng rop mai khlat

Ek ka rat cha mai hai khrai khom khi

Sa la luat thuk yat pen chat phli

Tha loeng pra thet chat thai tha wi mi chai chai yo.

This may be translated as:

Thailand embraces in its bosom all people of Thai blood.

Every inch of Thailand belongs to the Thais.

It has long maintained its sovereignty,

Because the Thais have always been united.

The Thai people are peaceloving,

But they are no cowards at war.

They shall allow no one to rob them of their independence,

Nor shall they suffer tyranny.

All Thais are ready to give up every drop of blood

For the nation's safety, freedom and progress. Hurrah!

I sourced this information some time ago from various websites and saved it for future reference. My apologies for not quoting the original source... if it belongs to some reader's website, please PM me and I'll be happy to quote your site for reference.

Oh, Dear.

Robski, that is most disrespectful to fellow TV members and any country. :o

Sure, not all football hooligans and heathens stand up for anthems, but many do out of a sign of RESPECT.

Please wash your mouth out with soap and come back with more manners.

What are you on about? Explain please.

well miss jet,

i'll give you the drum mate,

if you love thailand and the thai people you will go with the flow and try and do the right thing by the people and the country.

thats means standing up at the cinema and showing respect for the king, and stopping still at 6.00pm when they play the anthem.

if you dont do this you should be givin a good flogging and then deported. :D

its not rocket science but plain old everyday respect. :o

makes me sick when i see farang not respecting the los. :D

Oh, Dear.

Sure, not all football hooligans and heathens stand up for anthems, but many do out of a sign of RESPECT.

Your post #37.

Recently I walked into Mochit bus station in BKK, not realizing what time it was - time for the national anthem. Everybody seemed to be standing, not sitting or walking. I did the same.

In some parts of Mexico at 8 am, for the playing of the national anthem, traffic stops and everybody gets out of the car and faces the location of the music.

My own national anthem is so bloody that I will only stand for it, and but I won't put my hand on my heart. If it's played in church, I walk out. It's best to know the fine line between respect and fanatical nationalism.

That's rubbish Bendix, if you want to draw that analogy look at the world cup, how many fans take an interest in their anthem, not all and what about the players, most of the time only half of them are singing.

Thailand is different, they have rules about being disrespectful toward you know who. I always stop what I'm doing when I hear the anthem out of respect for them.

Fair enough. Not the best analogy on reflection, but my point was not about fans or players knowing the words, more about what an outcry there would be if opposing players picked their noses, wandered around aimlessly, started exercises etc WHILE the opposing team's anthem was being played.

Either way, the point has been made by others much more succintly than me: It's such a simple and unobtrusive gesture; why would anyone NOT do it unless they're completely self-absorbed and disrespectful?

Edited by bendix

Oh, Dear.

Your post #37.

Yes I disagree with Bendix, a. because he says the lyrics are irrelevant and b. that he draws an analogy between the national anthem being played here in thailand and the national anthems of countries being played at international sports meetings.

There are rules against being disrespectful here and we should all respect that, at international sports events there is a degree of respect but nobody is compelled to respect the anthems and certainly even members of the national teams seem to have little enthusiasm for them.

My point; it's a poor analogy and Neernams' view shouldn't be dismissed so thoughtlessly.

Edited by Robski

Fair enough. Not the best analogy on reflection, but my point was not about fans or players knowing the words, more about what an outcry there would be if opposing players picked their noses, wandered around aimlessly, started exercises etc WHILE the opposing team's anthem was being played.

Either way, the point has been made by others much more succintly than me: It's such a simple and unobtrusive gesture; why would anyone NOT do it unless they're completely self-absorbed and disrespectful?

Ok thanks Bendix and no problem, I didn't mean to seem rude. Peace.

What's that you've been eating? You've got something on your chin. :D

Anyway sure you agree that we both agree that it was a poor analogy, but you still disagree with me. :o

Edited by Robski

Oh, Dear.

Robski, that is most disrespectful to fellow TV members and any country. :D

Did someone get out of the wrong side of bed this morning? :o

Anyway sure you agree that we both agree that it was a poor analogy, but you still disagree with me. :D

Oh, Dear.

Where are my muay thai punching bag emoticons when I need 'em. :D

Anyway sure you agree that we both agree that it was a poor analogy, but you still disagree with me. :D

Oh, Dear.

Where are my muay thai punching bag emoticons when I need 'em. :D

Don't worry Sis, your still on my friends list. I've had worse slaps than that on TV. We do agree that we should be respectful towards the Thai anthem, so there were back on topic. :bah: