Crackdown On Air Pollution Caused By Industrial Estates

Jai Dee

Industry Ministry gears up to tackle air pollution caused by industrial estates

Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister Kosit Panpiemras (โฆษิต ปั้นเปี่ยมรัษฏ์) said it is high time to resolve air pollution caused by industrial estates.

Mr. Kosit said that two teams of committee have been set up to look after the environment at Maptapud (มาบตาพุด) industrial estate, adding the first team will consider on policies and the second team will be responsible for operations to reduce air pollution. The two teams have a one year period time frame to resolve the pollution issue.

In addition, people living near the industrial estate will be encouraged to take part in tackling air pollution. Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand will provide necessary equipments.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 January 2007

Great news.

I do so look forward to seeing another well thought out policy statement coming to full fruition. And within a year as well!! Nobody noticed all this pollution before then?

I'm doing my bit by giving up eating beans and sprouts. Mrs Dupont for her part, is giving up Pla Ra.

Maptaphut is my locale, and I'll guess that this time will be like the last in that foreign-owned companies will be targeted for environmental shakedown money, whilst the real Thai-owned filth factories will be left to go about their usual carte-blanche merry way.

They set up their pollution-measuring instruments directly opposite foreign companies to measure the <deleted> blowing over from the Thai companies directly behind. I sh*t you not. :o