4G signal booster

I understand that Mobile signal boosters may have been discussed in the past, however as the search function for thaivisa is unusable I can't find anything remotely recent and nothing at all about 4G boosters.

We have good signal outside our house (5 dots on an iPad) but poor signal inside (1~2 dots) so we need a way to improve reception inside. The house is concrete and steel, both of which are good for blocking cell signals.

Help appreciated.

On 2/22/2018 at 9:31 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

as the search function for thaivisa is unusable I can't find anything remotely recent and nothing at all about 4G boosters

Try using the google search engine, by typing     

site:thaivisa.com {keyword} {keyword} {exact}-{keywordgroup}  {-excludekeyword]

So, an example would be

site:thaivisa.com 4G signal-booster

See what returns you get. I found some from 2012 but the mobile service landscape has changed dramatically since then.  If you want returns only from a certain timeframe then use the google search page menu option 'TOOLS' and change 'ANYTIME' to 'PAST YEAR' or 'CUSTOM RANGE'

Or do a more open google search for

LTE Signal Booster in Thailand

FYI, Signal Boosters generally only need to be have the same operating frequency as the mobile service you want to extent/strengthen and will repeat whatever signal is being received by the boosting device, so will work with 2G/3G/4G/LTE radio signals.

Better units will utilize two separate antenna system, one antenna that goes up on a pole to make the long directional link to the distant tower and the other antenna (usually on the booster device) providing the repeated signal link to mobile phones and devices in the nearby area. Issues can occur if the two antennas are too close together as they tend to step on each other's signals (cause loopback interference). 

Surprised the mobile carriers here don't offer anything similar to Verizon Wireless' LTE extender over wired Internet

Samsung
4G LTE Network Extender 2 (web link)

The 4G LTE Network Extender is like your very own mini cell tower for your home or office.* This sleek, compact device enhances your existing 4G LTE coverage at no additional monthly cost. 
Utilizes your always–on Internet connection.
Place the 4G LTE Network Extender in your home or office to extend your Verizon network and enhance your indoor service. Quick and easy to install, the device connects to your existing high–speed internet connection.
Supports up to 14 active users at once.
The 4G LTE Network Extender provides voice and data for up to 14 active users simultaneously.

16 hours ago, ArnonK said:

Do a search on Youtube! There a lot 'Technician' which claims to have great success, just be always careful! 

So then you mean you have no information relevant to any units available in Thailand?

The be careful is exactly why I am asking here! 

10 hours ago, RichCor said:

I found some from 2012 but the mobile service landscape has changed dramatically since then.

Thanks. It is exactly because of the major changes that I'm asking to see if anyone has any personal recent experience. Related to the frequencies and mobile standards in use in Thailand. As the USA has traditionally used Non compatible (to the rest of the world) systems I have no idea if any information from there is useful. 

I also found some old, 2012 and before, posts but because of the frequency and other changes since then have to assume that the information is no longer valid.

No clue what you're networking set-up is, who your mobile provider is, what spectrum you have, or what devices you have - all that detail can help narrow down recommendations, but very generally speaking I think you may be looking for a device which can provide WiFi sharing of a mobile data connection, and which may support an external antenna connection. The frequency (850/900/1800/2100) of the available spectrum can influence the antenna choice(s).

Pretty sure this topic has been covered in detail here, and that there are plenty of companies in Thailand which offer this sort of kit.

Again, without any detail, I might start off with a 4G/LTE capable Wireless router, positioned near an opening, or even sheltered outdoors, to provide WiFi to multiple devices within the house. Then maybe look at an external antenna if that doesn't satisfy.

http://www.totalaircard.com/products/Huawei-B593-4G{47}LTE-Wireless-Router.html

I believe @mtls2005 is suggesting an alternative option to the 'booster/repeater', i.e.: buying a LTE Wireless Router (or personal 3G/4G MiFi router) that has an option to connect an external connector for better antenna placement. 

While that is an option, that only helps if you are only interested in sharing WiFi Internet. But it is a valid option.

31 minutes ago, RichCor said:

While that is an option, that only helps if you are only interested in sharing WiFi Internet.

Most of these 4G routers also support wired ethernet connections, and you are really "sharing" the mobile data (4G/3G) connection.

But yes, this option only works for devices with WiFi or ethernet, which includes pretty much everything in the typical home requiring an internet connection?

• Like 1

Another option you might try is a Passive Repeater, since you have full signal coverage outside. You might be able to passively redirect that signal to inside by using a reflector to 'bounce' the signal, or two connected antennas to 'guide' the signal.

See Wikipedia: Passive Repeater for examples.

This and other options are described in this document I found directed at the Australian market:

Mobile-Network-Guide-Improving-Mobile-Signal.pdf

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

But yes, this option only works for devices with WiFi or ethernet

The OP hasn't yet stated their ultimate need.

Does he want to make sure anyone in the building has individual Mobile Signal coverage that provide Voice/Data/Internet, or does he want just want to provide shared Internet. 

If the issue is making and receiving voice calls then some sort of booster/repeater might be required?

I didn't get that impression from the OP (iPad w/ SIM used for data), but who knows?

I think all three providers do offer VoWiFi calling, so that might be an option as well?

20 hours ago, RichCor said:

The OP hasn't yet stated their ultimate need.

Does he want to make sure anyone in the building has individual Mobile Signal coverage that provide Voice/Data/Internet, or does he want just want to provide shared Internet. 

As I essentially stated in my original post. (The only details missing were that I use AIS on iPads) I want to boost the 4G connection.

Not WiFi, not Ethernet but the 4G signal reception within the building. 

At some point we will have a terrestrial internet connection however it will not be AIS as they don't serve our area. It is likely to be TOT but as far as I know there is no way to improve an AIS 4G connection other than a 4G signal booster.

So far I haven't seen that anyone has used anything that does this job in Thailand, while it is perfectly possible that overseas equipment may work I have no interest in buying something that has the potential to be an expensive (or cheap) waste of money.

I can find nothing that relates to the current 4G systems in any of the previous discussions

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As I essentially stated in my original post. (The only details missing were that I use AIS on iPads) I want to boost the 4G connection.

Not WiFi, not Ethernet but the 4G signal reception within the building. 

We're wondering what you ultimately need. That's why we're posting our thoughts.

A. If what you need is MOBILE PHONE and DATA INTERNET service, so MANY people can use their individual mobile contract Data Internet, but do so inside a building that currently doesn't have coverage, then a Mobile Phone Signal Booster Repeater Amplifier (sample link1, link2) is what you need.

AIS 4G/LTE operates on 900MHz, 1800MHz or 2100MHz bandwidths (though it would be best to verify which are used and working in your location).

Booster/Repeaters need careful installation to ensure they don't cause radio or mobile network interference, as they transmit on frequencies owned and licensed by the Thai government. These devices tend to be banned or outlawed for personal use, though I can't find any mention for Thailand.

B. But it what you need is personal Internet, via 4G/LTE Data Internet, then it would be far easier to purchase a 4G/LTE Router or 4G/LTE Wireless Hotspot (that you can place high in the building that has access to strong 4G/LTE signal) and let the device make that 4G/LTE service connection and then you distribute that Internet Access via ETHERNET or WIFI ACCESS POINT(s) where-ever inside your building. This is more for personal use, as any usage will be billed against the service account associated with the installed SIM.

4G/LTE Routers or 4G/LTE Wireless Hotspots are a lot easier to acquire and set up.