Lift at Maxx Hotel falls after electrical short-circuit

webfact

Lift at Maxx Hotel falls after electrical short-circuit

By Thai PBS

fire15.jpg

A lift of a three-star Bangkok hotel on Rama 9 fell off from the 24th floor early Friday morning (Feb 23) after a brief fire at an elevator control room.

Huay Kwang police said the accident happened at the 350-room Maxx Hotel at about 8am, but there was no injuries.

Initital report said there was eletrical short circuit at the control room of the lifts, sparking off a fire. The fire quickly raged to one of the hotel’s five lifts, causing it to fall from the 24th floor and stuck at the 16th floor. Other four lifts also stranded as electricity was cut.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/lift-maxx-hotel-falls-electrical-short-circuit/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-23

I've seen inside my ex condos lift room. Metal filings scattered all over the floor from cable operation.  Very dangerous i thought that the lift company doesn't bother vacuuming and cleaning to avoid shorted circuitry. I've asked my current condo manager to check the room and make sure it is clean.

On 2/24/2018 at 12:44 AM, stud858 said:

I've seen inside my ex condos lift room. Metal filings scattered all over the floor from cable operation.  Very dangerous i thought that the lift company doesn't bother vacuuming and cleaning to avoid shorted circuitry. I've asked my current condo manager to check the room and make sure it is clean.

Definitely unsafe situation as the metal filing come from the inside of the cable due to lack of lubrication in the hemp core.  The cables then become "thinner" and have a tendency to lose traction and or break. Should have been renewed long ago.

47 minutes ago, norbra said:

Definitely unsafe situation as the metal filing come from the inside of the cable due to lack of lubrication in the hemp core.  The cables then become "thinner" and have a tendency to lose traction and or break. Should have been renewed long ago.

Just finished meeting with manager of condo. Room is clean. 2 lifts are maintained by Hitachi company on yearly contract at my condo.

Anybody know the maintenance company involved at recent accident?