Self order kiosks at McDonalds

Hal65

3 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

You should watch the latest X Files episode. It exactly describes this scenario, including the tipping!

OMG you had me worried there. I thought it would be some PC wishy washy "reinvention" of the show, like the new Hawaii 5 0 is a soppy PC piece of garbage compared to the original. However, it is the original characters/ actors and hopefully a continuation of a good series.

BTW, why would anyone tip if it's only machines? Seems daft to me, but then I come from a non tipping country.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

OMG you had me worried there. I thought it would be some PC wishy washy "reinvention" of the show, like the new Hawaii 5 0 is a soppy PC piece of garbage compared to the original. However, it is the original characters/ actors and hopefully a continuation of a good series.

BTW, why would anyone tip if it's only machines? Seems daft to me, but then I come from a non tipping country.

So they don't spit in your soup.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The tip would go to the owner. So any AI system in use will be designed to figure how to get the most tip. In essence eventually the AI system will come up with a very good reason for you to tip....

Watch the latest X Files episode, it's hilarious but kinda disturbing at the same time. 

17 hours ago, Basil B said:

Does it have robots that makes prostitutes redundant??? 

Thailand will probably be too rich for sexbots to harm their tourism numbers, especially from the low brow segment which is a small fraction. But imagine some African version of Pattaya in 50 years suddenly going into recession due to sexbots! It will happen, only question is when.

3 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Thailand will probably be too rich for sexbots to harm their tourism numbers, especially from the low brow segment which is a small fraction. But imagine some African version of Pattaya in 50 years suddenly going into recession due to sexbots! It will happen, only question is when.

Pattaya could be the Silicon Valley of the SexBot industry, certainly has the expertise, only thing in the way is the Work Permit issue... :cheesy: 

6 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Um, when sexbots become reality, no monger will ever have to get on a plane to go anywhere. They'll just buy one and keep it at home. That will have a huge impact on LOS, as no one will be marrying Issan girls with a couple of kids and building flash houses in some village in Nakon Nowhere.

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

Pattaya could be the Silicon Valley of the SexBot industry, certainly has the expertise, only thing in the way is the Work Permit issue... :cheesy: 

Seriously, sexbots will be coming out of Japan. They are already the proud manufacturers of the best love dolls in the world.

Give it a couple of years for the android models.

For most men, meeting the girl of their dreams takes time but one company is offering to drop her off outside your door in just a few days.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/japanese-sex-dolls-now-life-like-4040718

The writing is on the wall...

Burger-flipping robot begins first shift

Flippy, a burger-flipping robot, has begun work at a restaurant in Pasadena, Los Angeles.

It is the first of dozens of locations for the system, which is destined to replace human fast-food workers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-43292047/burger-flipping-robot-begins-first-shift

At first i thought a burger flipping robot arm was a goofy example of excess technology. Why not just design the grill to extend upwards and let the patties fall onto a lower deck?

But no. The patties would get stuck. And you lose precision. So this really does need a high tech solution.

Fascinating now that I think about it. A burger that stays at $1 in 30 years time may cost about .30 in today's money. Now imagine that scale of savings for buying a car, or a condo. Even with the threat of losses in production (jobs), everyone has to be an optimist when you see those reductions in the cost of big ticket consumption.

5 hours ago, jerry921 said:

This is old news - a year old. Not sure what's wrong with the BBC. Here's an article from Mar 7, 2017 saying the robot was already under testing in a restaurant.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/07/meet-flippy-a-burger-grilling-robot-from-miso-robotics-and-caliburger/

The writing grease is on the wall

After posting the above, I saw another link to another article about it on a news website, also a new article. This one linked to a local TV station.

http://ktla.com/2018/03/05/flippy-the-burger-flipping-robot-is-now-cooking-at-the-caliburger-fast-food-chain/

I guess somebody in the media decided to follow up after a year and it generated a whole new round of "news". Or perhaps the developer exited their "testing" phase and have now gone full time with flippy or something. Anyway, I don't know what's new here, but I suppose there must be something. Perhaps the company making the robot is now ready to ramp up production and wanted the free advertising.

To me it's a half-baked solution. They took the flat grill as a given, instead of reinventing the whole thing, because they're trying to replace the human without replacing the work station. If you replace the whole thing you end up with a completely different design.

Edited by jerry921
clarity
  • Like 1

Looks like we're gonna need a few more robots, chief.

flippy taken offline after first day

The reason? The article has a mal-formed sentence, so you'll have to read the whole thing and form your conclusions. Because of the part about a viewing window further down the article, I'm assuming there was a huge influx of customers to see the robot working and the humans on the assembly line couldn't keep up with the robot or the demand.