Miquel's (mexican) California Cafe

Ulysses G.

Mike kept saying that he was going to sell Miquel's so I kept eating there all of the time in case the food went downhill after he sold it and by the time he did I was burned out on Mexican food so I haven't been going much. However, the new owner is a nice guy and a hard worker ( I like the garden eating area that he added on the side ) and the food seems pretty much the same to me.

The only thing that seems to have changed much is that there are lots more customers and the place seems to be a real success story. It has been packed every time I have gone there lately and more customers keep coming in.

I'm only one person and I tend to stick to the same dishes. Has anyone noticed a change in the food?

Mike kept saying that he was going to sell Miquel's so I kept eating there all of the time in case the food went downhill after he sold it and by the time he did I was burned out on Mexican food so I haven't been going much. However, the new owner is a nice guy and a hard worker ( I like the garden eating area that he added on the side ) and the food seems pretty much the same to me.

The only thing that seems to have changed much is that there are lots more customers and the place seems to be a real success story. It has been packed every time I have gone there lately and more customers keep coming in.

I'm only one person and I tend to stick to the same dishes. Has anyone noticed a change in the food?

Sensational before, sensational now..say no more.. Except i am rapidly putting on weight..And the margureitas are superb..burp..

Absolutely delicious food at Miguel's. Never a bad meal. Even "tirac" likes the food there and she doesn't usually enjoy any farang food. My only complaint is the price for a plate of their tasty chips and salsa. At eighty (80) baht per order, I won't order them on every visit.

Even "tirac" likes the food there and she doesn't usually enjoy any farang food.

That piques my curiosity. If Thais regard Mexican food as farang food, I wonder why. Chinese, Japanese and Korean food are not thought of as farang food, at least so I understand, so why would Mexican food be? What about Indian food?

And to get back on topic, I raved about the "old" Miguel's on this forum months ago, and haven't changed my mind now that it is the "new" Miguel's. Delicious, fun and cool staff.

Also happens to be right around the corner from Tusker's, which is a really great and newly opened place to have (another) drink or few, before or after.

Once per week, I visit a restaurant for a 'treat' (losing weight). Miquels has been that place the last few weeks. Everything is good there, but I wish they would use corn taco shells for their tacos instead of the wheat ones...

I parked near enough outside a week or so ago when I was going to Tuskers Bar. the place was heaving,,which goes to show that for somewhere that is slightly of the tourist trail it must be something special.

I have not tried it yet but after all these rave reviews I will have to get myself down there as I do like Mexican Food.

I only ever seem to eat Mexican on the Fourth Floor of Pantip Plazza...not bad at all, but the location is not conducive to staying for longer than it takes to eat your food.

Once per week, I visit a restaurant for a 'treat' (losing weight). Miquels has been that place the last few weeks. Everything is good there, but I wish they would use corn taco shells for their tacos instead of the wheat ones...

They made tacos with corn tortillas for me several times, once at a small extra charge. Don't know if it matters but my requests are usually made mid afternoon when they are not busy.

They made tacos with corn tortillas for me several times, once at a small extra charge. Don't know if it matters but my requests are usually made mid afternoon when they are not busy.

Thanks! :o

I hope the new outdoor area doesn't eliminate the old parking spots, off the street. I just need to park a bike.

There is room to park a bike or two (or even three, and so on), but there is not as much room as before, so in theory the more limited space might fill up from time to time.

Edited by Rasseru

Yes, but a little further North. Right next to the Miami Hotel.

I would like to have some good Mexican food so next time I visit CM it will be on my list. Can someone describe where to find this place a little bit more in detail for a poor farmer from Chiang Rai?

Thanks!

:o:D :D

I hope the new outdoor area doesn't eliminate the old parking spots, off the street. I just need to park a bike. That's what's tough about the Mike's Burgers #1, further down the street: the parking is almost nonexistent.

There is a second parking area next to Miquel's (in front of a guest house) and it is also permissable to park there.

It is big area and has small sign by the gate that says, "Miquel's Parking", or something like that.

I would like to have some good Mexican food so next time I visit CM it will be on my list. Can someone describe where to find this place a little bit more in detail for a poor farmer from Chiang Rai?

Thanks!

:o:D :D

It is about 1/2 block before the original Mike's Hamburgers, on the same one way street.

It is maybe 100 meters before you reach Spicy (nightclub) and the other side of the moat from Spicy is Sophet Market. Does that help?

Thanks!

:D :D :D

It is about 1/2 block before the original Mike's Hamburgers, on the same one way street.

It is maybe 100 meters before you reach Spicy (nightclub) and the other side of the moat from Spicy is Sophet Market. Does that help?

Thanks for trying to help me but as I said, I am a poor farmer and never been to a Night Club. Hamburger??? Sounds like Germany to me.

No, but is it inside the klong, close to Night Market or where? What about an address like a streetname I can give to my lady to give to a tuktuk?

Thanks for trying!

:D:o:bah:

In Chiang Mai, most Tuk-Tuk drivers don't have any idea about street addresses. You have to tell them a well-know landmark to get where you are going.

Spicy would probably do it, but you would still miss the place by 100 meters or so. The Miami Hotel might work as it is right next door.

I would tell you the street, but it changes names about 3 times within a short distance so is probably useless.

When you get to Thapae Gate, the street is called Chayapoom if that helps. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

In Chiang Mai, most Tuk-Tuk drivers don't have any idea about street addresses. You have to tell them a well-know landmark to get where you are going.

Spicy would probably do it, but you would still miss the place by 100 meters or so. The Miami Hotel might work as it is right next door.

I would tell you the street, but it changes names about 3 times within a short distance so is probably useless.

When you get to Thapae Gate, the street is called Chayapoom if that helps. :D

It is on Chayaphum. When you get to Thapae Gate it become Kotchasan.

That is if you are going with the traffic flow (if on wheels) otherwise, and going the other way, you are right UG :o

Edited by john b good

When you get to Thapae Gate, the street is called Chayapoom if that helps. :D

It is on Chayaphum. When you get to Thapae Gate it become Kotchasan.

That is if you are going with the traffic flow (if on wheels) otherwise, and going the other way, you are right UG :o

Thanks both!

My lady is from Chaiyaphum so we cannot miss it!

:D :D :D

Miquel's still has tamales as a special. They are worth a try.

I had never had them before and I quite like them. They are made with corn flour that someone is carrying in from LA which is apparently difficult to find here.

Tamales are supposed to have some sauce, right?

Well, the tamales I had at miquels didn't have any, and they were awful. Mostly thick breading...

Edited by Ajarn

I don't know, but I've had them in Mexico, New Mexico and on the streets of New York, bought from ladies who seemed for all the world like Mexican peasant women, and have never had them with any sauce.

(Ajarn @ 2007-01-24 10:41:18)

We never had sauce on tamales growing up in Southern California...Maybe you are thinking of Enchiladas? True tamales are made with a corn meal flour called Masa and steamed in corn husks...to many

people do make them like you said with not near enough good meat filling so they are mostly all bland and dry. Yuck.. :o

I can confirm that the Mex food at California (or whatever it's called) is v good. To get there you would come out of Spicy (oh ######, did I say 'Spicy' -- never heard of the place), turn right and walk about 100 yards or so and it would be on the same side of the street. A guy I know from Phoenix (AZ) was there a couple of weeks back and said the food was as good as anything he can get at home. I wish the seating was a bit more comfortable though; and serving Margaritas (even if they're good) in standard glasses is really not on. Just buy some cocktail glasses for goodness sake. And have a menu printed. How much does that cost?

I don't know, but I've had them in Mexico, New Mexico and on the streets of New York, bought from ladies who seemed for all the world like Mexican peasant women, and have never had them with any sauce.

In Mexico, they usually don't have sauce. They should not be dry though. The moisture can come within (classically, LARD). Its a Mexican Zen thing.

Speaking of saucy tamales, anyone ever try the Roosevelt Tamale Parlor (since 1922, wow) on 24th Street, San Francisco? Now those are tamales. The size of an American football with lots of sauce as well. I have to admit I liked them even better than classic (no sauce) tamales.

rvelttamale02.jpg

Edited by Jingthing