Need help . Pool smelling like rotten fish ...

SlyouThai

Hey guys , we have a big problem with our  pool. We just emptied it to make new grout , and now there is an horrible smell coming out from 2 Pipes at the bottom . The smell is like very fishy or like when you go to some beaches with old sludge ( not sure this is the word sorry ) it does smell very very very bad. This night some water came out of it and its even worst .

We  just bought this house , we didnt smell anything when it was filled with water.

I dont know anything about pool plumbing and i need your knowledge :)

Thanks in advance

dead pool.jpg

Hey guys , we have a big problem with our  pool. We just emptied it to make new grout , and now there is an horrible smell coming out from 2 Pipes at the bottom . The smell is like very fishy or like when you go to some beaches with old sludge ( not sure this is the word sorry ) it does smell very very very bad. This night some water came out of it and its even worst .

We  just bought this house , we didnt smell anything when it was filled with water.

I dont know anything about pool plumbing and i need your knowledge :)

Thanks in advance

5a92490ab47ff_deadpool.jpg.964cf1020ae68971476841af1a0824e5.jpg
I am not a pool guru, but will try and help.
I presume those two pipes have a cover over them, and you removed it to renew the grouting?
Just as a warning: if those two pipes are what is called the 'main drain' or takes water back to the pump, I'd be careful when you get the pool started again that there is not too much suction into those two pipes. Google something like ' main drain dangers' or similar.
Maybe some frogs or other animals got sucked into the pipes when you drained the pool. That would probably cause the smell. You could try sticking a hose down the pump side of the pipes and flush the animals out. I wouldn't suggest a pressure washer as you don't want too much force.
Could try some wire or a wire drain unblocker. You feed the wire or mechanical drain unblocker up the pipe. They have them Global House.
Even if you can't get the dead animals out, when you restart your pool, the chlorine will kill all the germs, and eventually the animals will rot away.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

hi !

Yes the water was going out from there when we emptied it. There is a white stuff over normally , we didnt take it out until there were very low water level , and we took out remaining water with underwater pump. There were always some water in the small cavity so i think there is no way  some animals were sucked in .

For the dangers of the main drain with suction , is that still dangerous when the white cover will be put back ?

I will try to see if i can use something to unblock the drain see if something comes out.

Some people report a 'fish smell' from decaying leaf matter, rr other bacterial growth set anew from contact to air.

Where does the "Main Drain" empty out to?

As Carlyai suggests, you might want to flush the line out.

As this pipe is open to the main pool you don't want to be putting a lot of any chemicals down it that might not get completely flushed out before a refill.

What is the procedure for you to empty pool

IE Is it that you swap lever position on filter & turn pump on ?   OR

You just open a valve ?

The second ? may presume you are draining through the storm water public system where the houses grey water goes from the septic tanks

This may also explain why you are having to pump out the left over water as there is not enough head pressure to remove all the water due to the piping having to rise upto the storm water pipes

hi !
Yes the water was going out from there when we emptied it. There is a white stuff over normally , we didnt take it out until there were very low water level , and we took out remaining water with underwater pump. There were always some water in the small cavity so i think there is no way  some animals were sucked in .

For the dangers of the main drain with suction , is that still dangerous when the white cover will be put back ?

I will try to see if i can use something to unblock the drain see if something comes out.
'For the dangers of the main drain with suction , is that still dangerous when the white cover will be put back ?'

If the suction is strong and the cover is not a safety type. There are examples of the dangers on the pool forum and Google.
From personal experience my mate had a pool with a skimmer and cover. I those days the skimmer top could just neatly fit a young kids bottom. I forget the exact circumstances but his daughter got some of her intestines sucked out from the suction. She seemed to recover, but later on as she neared puberty one side of her body was developing into a woman and the other side wasn't. She had many horrible operations and spent many years in plaster.
I think the suction episode was blamed for her problems.
Also if a girls long hair gets sucked into the drain she may not be able to get to the surface to breathe.
If those two pipes are the main drain, they are very close together and could be OK, but check when you start the pool. You need a secure cover.

17 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

What is the procedure for you to empty pool

IE Is it that you swap lever position on filter & turn pump on ?   OR

You just open a valve ?

The second ? may presume you are draining through the storm water public system where the houses grey water goes from the septic tanks

This may also explain why you are having to pump out the left over water as there is not enough head pressure to remove all the water due to the piping having to rise upto the storm water pipes

if i recall correctly i was the first option , swap lever position , pump was working ,  water was going out on next to the road outside the house  actually from a pipe . ( its a dirt road ) .

We stoped that befor all water was gone and used underwater pump to take out the remaining.

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

Some people report a 'fish smell' from decaying leaf matter, rr other bacterial growth set anew from contact to air.

Where does the "Main Drain" empty out to?

As Carlyai suggests, you might want to flush the line out.

As this pipe is open to the main pool you don't want to be putting a lot of any chemicals down it that might not get completely flushed out before a refill.

water was going out along the road outside from a pipe. ( thai style )

I understand i cant put chemicals into that because it could be dangerous. What do you mean by flush the line out ? put a strong cable inside and see if something stuck ?    its pretty scary actually , its like a yellowish water , you can see its " heavy " and not only it smell fishy it does smell very chemical like too. Kind of a little bit the stuff you put in the toilet when the pipe is stuck . This kind of smell ....

9 minutes ago, SlyouThai said:

if i recall correctly i was the first option , swap lever position , pump was working ,  water was going out on next to the road outside the house  actually from a pipe . ( its a dirt road ) .

We stoped that befor all water was gone and used underwater pump to take out the remaining.

Ok I get it. I also dump my backwash into the Moo Baan (just like when it rains I guess )

But I am wandering how the smell or in that fact the water coming back would pass through the filter & pump

If it has it may well effect the pool on start up

6 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Ok I get it. I also dump my backwash into the Moo Baan (just like when it rains I guess )

But I am wandering how the smell or in that fact the water coming back would pass through the filter & pump

If it has it may well effect the pool on start up

now that you say that , one worked pointed out to me some small crack at the bottom next to this area. So i guess this " water " could come from thoses cracks and not from the pipe ? because even after we remove almost all water , some more appeared around this area , and it didnt rain it was sunny all the last days.  but if thats the case from  where this kind of water is coming from ? we have on the deck next to the pool a floor door , and there is like a tank or someting. I didnt smell anything special when we did open it i dont know ...   i have someone who should have decent knowledge coming to take a look tomorrow , will see what he will say... 

10 hours ago, carlyai said:

I am not a pool guru, but will try and help.
I presume those two pipes have a cover over them, and you removed it to renew the grouting?
Just as a warning: if those two pipes are what is called the 'main drain' or takes water back to the pump, I'd be careful when you get the pool started again that there is not too much suction into those two pipes. Google something like ' main drain dangers' or similar.
Maybe some frogs or other animals got sucked into the pipes when you drained the pool. That would probably cause the smell. You could try sticking a hose down the pump side of the pipes and flush the animals out. I wouldn't suggest a pressure washer as you don't want too much force.
Could try some wire or a wire drain unblocker. You feed the wire or mechanical drain unblocker up the pipe. They have them Global House.
Even if you can't get the dead animals out, when you restart your pool, the chlorine will kill all the germs, and eventually the animals will rot away.emoji3.png

What you need is a raised drain cover such as this.

http://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/main-drains/1226-emaux-maindrain-12x12.html

3 hours ago, SlyouThai said:

It is very important that you do not drain a or refill a pool to quickly 750 mm per 24 hours ie at a rate of 30 mm per hour max,  otherwise there is a risk of structural damage to the pool.

@Slyou Thai

I keep on wondering why there are 2 pipes that close together. If it is the main drain, then you would have 2 pipes spread out under different safety covers, or just 1 pipe.
What's the reason for the 2 pipe openings? Do they go back as 2 separate pipes or join together and go back as one pipe?
Doubt it, but is one pipe a water return? Like when you want to add water to the pool.

Also, maybe I missed it, but why are you draining the pool?
Installing new grout, I think was the reason. If the pool is leaking, you need to fix the underlying structural problem, before you install new grout. 'yaa nails' in Thai.

I would put money on the "water is coming out of the steps or back out from the wall".

There is no logical reason from what was left of the water to become that contaminated so quickly!! The natives never fill the steps with sand only rubbish & rubble. 

Every single pool I have renovated in the past 15 yrs here in LOS we had to drill a hole in the bottom of the steps and let the water drain. Always rotten!! Also some walls have leaked. Important that the leaks are found, tiles taken of and a wet stop applied both on walls & steps after dry! If not you will always have problems with sanitation & water balance.  

Make sure your contractor is using Weber or Crocodile pool grout. Weber comes in a bucket with bags of grout & water so you get the correct mix. Read the recommended drying times before adding water. Filling the pool is not an issue unless your shell is substandard. In 15 yrs I never had an issue with trucks filling up one after the other. We use a large bucket if the surface is new PebbleCrete. So as the water doesn't damage it.

Take no notice of the fear & danger remarks regarding the main drain. It should only be open at 1/3 anyway, so very little suction.

Good luck!

Two points to raise on the previous post ,filling and emptying of pools  slowly should apply especially if the pool is of an unknown quantity in regards to construction.

Whilst cannot dispute the fact you have filled up many times using trucks without problems,I find it strange that  the BSI has included provisions for filling and emptily pools in BS 5385 Wall and floor tiling  7.2.10  and 7.2.11.A  brief precise is now posted in pool scientific papers and guides.

"Take no notice of the fear & danger remarks regarding the main drain. It should only be open at 1/3 anyway, so very little suction."

I find this a rather flippant remark when over the years many countries around the world with their various safety councils and trade organizations are trying to eliminate this problem of hair, body entrapment by trying to educate the pool trade into the practices of good safe design.

And not all main drains have a valve on them  for whatever reason

21 hours ago, sappersrest said:

Two points to raise on the previous post ,filling and emptying of pools  slowly should apply especially if the pool is of an unknown quantity in regards to construction.

Whilst cannot dispute the fact you have filled up many times using trucks without problems,I find it strange that  the BSI has included provisions for filling and emptily pools in BS 5385 Wall and floor tiling  7.2.10  and 7.2.11.A  brief precise is now posted in pool scientific papers and guides.

"Take no notice of the fear & danger remarks regarding the main drain. It should only be open at 1/3 anyway, so very little suction."

I find this a rather flippant remark when over the years many countries around the world with their various safety councils and trade organizations are trying to eliminate this problem of hair, body entrapment by trying to educate the pool trade into the practices of good safe design.

And not all main drains have a valve on them  for whatever reason

Pull ya head in.

You can quote from as many books as you like.

Street smarts beats book worm knowledge hands down.

However I have had experience with thousands of commercial & domestic of pools in Aust, NZ & Thailand plus involvement with 400 + school pools in Qld Aust. More than aware of what you are trying to portray. But totally unnecessary! Your remarks are not pertinent for a standard domestic pool. Unlike large water parks where they may have some substance & whom I consult for!! 

I find that your remark about "Not all main drains have valves" very flippant!! This shows you lack of experience and what you have learnt is out of a book. :clap2:

As they say, you can baffle people with B/S most of the time lalalalalala!!!:cheesy:

On 27/02/2018 at 9:02 AM, Bagwain said:

I would put money on the "water is coming out of the steps or back out from the wall".

There is no logical reason from what was left of the water to become that contaminated so quickly!! The natives never fill the steps with sand only rubbish & rubble. 

Every single pool I have renovated in the past 15 yrs here in LOS we had to drill a hole in the bottom of the steps and let the water drain. Always rotten!! Also some walls have leaked. Important that the leaks are found, tiles taken of and a wet stop applied both on walls & steps after dry! If not you will always have problems with sanitation & water balance.  

Make sure your contractor is using Weber or Crocodile pool grout. Weber comes in a bucket with bags of grout & water so you get the correct mix. Read the recommended drying times before adding water. Filling the pool is not an issue unless your shell is substandard. In 15 yrs I never had an issue with trucks filling up one after the other. We use a large bucket if the surface is new PebbleCrete. So as the water doesn't damage it.

Take no notice of the fear & danger remarks regarding the main drain. It should only be open at 1/3 anyway, so very little suction.

Good luck!

You won your bet  :) The bad water isnt coming from the pipes i made a mistake. Its some leaks at the bottom of the big step .Dont know what they filled that with...  Now we put some grout on it and its not leaking anymore. One guy told me when i fill the pool anyway it will not leak anymore since there will me more pressure inside pool than inside this. Not sure if im happy with this answer but when the pool was full of water i never ever smelt this disctinctive odor.  I used Crocodile Pool sanded grout everywhere. IM not sure if this will be enough or if i should do more than that like removing the tiles and put new ciment " water proof " or something.

piscine1.jpg

On 27/02/2018 at 4:42 AM, carlyai said:

@Slyou Thai

I keep on wondering why there are 2 pipes that close together. If it is the main drain, then you would have 2 pipes spread out under different safety covers, or just 1 pipe.
What's the reason for the 2 pipe openings? Do they go back as 2 separate pipes or join together and go back as one pipe?
Doubt it, but is one pipe a water return? Like when you want to add water to the pool.

Also, maybe I missed it, but why are you draining the pool?
Installing new grout, I think was the reason. If the pool is leaking, you need to fix the underlying structural problem, before you install new grout. 'yaa nails' in Thai.

i have no idea why there are that close together , and dont know if they go back as one etc im really clueless about all this...  We drained for regrouting yes as most of it was gone or dirty.

Now we finished this grout everywhere , do you guys have any tips for how i maintain good ph etc ? Here is a picture of the pump room. Should i put a lot of Chlorine for the first fill because we did a regrout ? How much salt should i put after every month or weeks . There is this salt machine checking the level and telling if there is too much not enough etc but i really dont know much... Should i had anything else than salt after that ? Im planning to rent this house short term and i will not have access to it easily at anytime so if i could have a system not requiring too much presence and keeping the water clean that would be very nice :D

The big white tank i guess its full of sand to clear water ? like a filter ? should i open and clean it ? and put new sand ?

Thanks all for your answers already

piscine2.jpg

piscine3.jpg

You won your bet  :) The bad water isnt coming from the pipes i made a mistake. Its some leaks at the bottom of the big step .Dont know what they filled that with...  Now we put some grout on it and its not leaking anymore. One guy told me when i fill the pool anyway it will not leak anymore since there will me more pressure inside pool than inside this. Not sure if im happy with this answer but when the pool was full of water i never ever smelt this disctinctive odor.  I used Crocodile Pool sanded grout everywhere. IM not sure if this will be enough or if i should do more than that like removing the tiles and put new ciment " water proof " or something.

piscine1.jpg

Big mistake just grouting over the leaks!!!!

Where it is leaking needs to have a couple of tiles taken of. The leaking area chiseled out or drilled out and when the leak has dried or sufficiently dried a wet stop applied. This is a Sika product that can be bought at Watsado and good hardware's.

Now we finished this grout everywhere , do you guys have any tips for how i maintain good ph etc ? Here is a picture of the pump room. Should i put a lot of Chlorine for the first fill because we did a regrout ? How much salt should i put after every month or weeks . There is this salt machine checking the level and telling if there is too much not enough etc but i really dont know much... Should i had anything else than salt after that ? Im planning to rent this house short term and i will not have access to it easily at anytime so if i could have a system not requiring too much presence and keeping the water clean that would be very nice :D

The big white tank i guess its full of sand to clear water ? like a filter ? should i open and clean it ? and put new sand ?

Thanks all for your answers already

piscine2.jpg

piscine3.jpg

Are you in the Pattaya area?

PM me and I will offer my services to check over & help you with start up.

My specialty!!

Cheers

20 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Are you in the Pattaya area?

PM me and I will offer my services to check over & help you with start up.

My specialty!!

Cheers

Unfortunetly im in Phuket , Rawai. going crazy with this pool and costing me a lot..

20 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Big mistake just grouting over the leaks!!!!

Where it is leaking needs to have a couple of tiles taken of. The leaking area chiseled out or drilled out and when the leak has dried or sufficiently dried a wet stop applied. This is a Sika product that can be bought at Watsado and good hardware's.

i understand but it looks like many places are leaking , i would have to remove this giant step alltogether i guess.... I cant afford that. What do you think about the water pressure theory , that when pool is full it will stop leaking ? When it was full i didnt smell anything coming out of it .

Is that the product you talking about ?

Sika®-102 (Waterplug)

Fast-Setting ready to use Waterplug for Leak Sealing and Concrete Repair. When mixed with water, it becomes a powerful, fast-setting permanent waterplug.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, SlyouThai said:

i understand but it looks like many places are leaking , i would have to remove this giant step alltogether i guess.... I cant afford that. What do you think about the water pressure theory , that when pool is full it will stop leaking ? When it was full i didnt smell anything coming out of it .

Is that the product you talking about ?

Sika®-102 (Waterplug)

Fast-Setting ready to use Waterplug for Leak Sealing and Concrete Repair. When mixed with water, it becomes a powerful, fast-setting permanent waterplug.

Thanks

Yes that is the product. Drill holes where it is leaking and let as much water out as possible.

Then use the Sika 102!

I will send you a colleagues contact on PM who may help with servicing your equipment, recharging the filter (Recommend "Eco Clear" glass media) & testing & servicing your salt system.

Archived