Video: Tourist has just two words (repeatedly) for cabby who won't turn on the meter

webfact

18 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

What do you ride?  Buffalo?

Of course, Buffalos like you, since they evicted all the elephants from central Bangkok years ago, what choice is there? :stoner:

Edited by MaxYakov

14 hours ago, Justfine said:

What money did he steal?

Money he was not legally entitled to EVERY time he refused to use the meter and some poor sod still got in his taxi for whatever reason

Dont bother trying to blame the victim

27 minutes ago, SanatareeNapakin said:

Man taxi driver work hard hard for money and US man so crazy and animal.

Thank you for your honest opinion, it's great to have you, a Thai citizen on here. I guess that you are aware that most taxi drivers in Bangkok are actually from Isaan. They've got a hard time to get used to driving in Bangkok and they really have a stressful job. Even working 15 hours a day doesn't make them rich. And having so many passengers every day is of course very difficult, especially when rude people react in such a poor manner. 

They have to fight with the traffic day by day and I totally understand what one would think when a foreigner says these two nasty words a couple of times to him. He isn't right, because he doesn't know under which circumstances many taxi drivers have to work.

A lot of them do not have their own cars and they must pay most of the fare to their employer, and if the employer made the meter unusable, there's no way that he can use the meter.

I'd never say something bad to a taxi-driver and would look out for one with a meter, where the driver's willing to switch it on. I understand that the American man came over as an animal for you, I apologize for him even when I'm not from America, I only belong to the group you call Farang.

Dear Sanataree, I hope that you'll continue posting on this forum, please see all the different topics, it would be great if you can give your opinion to stories where people are perhaps not reacting the way they should. In the end we are all trying to achieve the same.

You don't want foreigners who say bad things to a taxi-driver and many of us have settled down in your country, work as teachers, support a family and do a lot of good things for your country.

Khop Khun Maak Khrap, have a nice weekend. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Thank you for your honest opinion, it's great to have you, a Thai citizen on here. I guess that you are aware that most taxi drivers in Bangkok are actually from Isaan. They've got a hard time to get used to driving in Bangkok and they really have a stressful job. Even working 15 hours a day doesn't make them rich. And having so many passengers every day is of course very difficult, especially when rude people react in such a poor manner. 

They have to fight with the traffic day by day and I totally understand what one would think when a foreigner says these two nasty words a couple of times to him. He isn't right, because he doesn't know under which circumstances many taxi drivers have to work.

A lot of them do not have their own cars and they must pay most of the fare to their employer, and if the employer made the meter unusable, there's no way that he can use the meter.

I'd never say something bad to a taxi-driver and would look out for one with a meter, where the driver's willing to switch it on. I understand that the American man came over as an animal for you, I apologize for him even when I'm not from America, I only belong to the group you call Farang.

Dear Sanataree, I hope that you'll continue posting on this forum, please see all the different topics, it would be great if you can give your opinion to stories where people are perhaps not reacting the way they should. In the end we are all trying to achieve the same.

You don't want foreigners who say bad things to a taxi-driver and many of us have settled down in your country, work as teachers, support a family and do a lot of good things for your country.

Khop Khun Maak Khrap, have a nice weekend. 

I almost feel sorry for the thief

Edited by oldlakey

On 2/26/2018 at 9:37 AM, Matt96 said:

if I were this taxi driver and a cocky farang would say "<deleted> you" to me - i would beat the shit out of him regardless on any repercussion.

but he thought "thais are polite, they tend to forgive. so I can get away with this"

the moral obligation of any decent man is to prove him how wrong he is.

in my whole life i never ever let anyone who said "<deleted> you" to me run away without repercussions. and I never regretted for punishing them

Amazing reply...  just what the world needs, more people like this... wow!

Edited by Nowisee

On 2/26/2018 at 9:37 AM, Matt96 said:

if I were this taxi driver and a cocky farang would say "<deleted> you" to me - i would beat the shit out of him regardless on any repercussion.

but he thought "thais are polite, they tend to forgive. so I can get away with this"

the moral obligation of any decent man is to prove him how wrong he is.

in my whole life i never ever let anyone who said "<deleted> you" to me run away without repercussions. and I never regretted for punishing them

Please substitute "If I were this criminal taxi driver ..." because violence is the first choice not the last for criminals and those with very low IQ.  

I'm happy though, that you can empathize with this abhorrent mentality.

Think they were being a bit braver than they thought - few years ago I seem to remember a manager of a well known US company complaining (in Thai )to the  BKK taxi driver that the meter was" running fast" .That was the last thing he ever thought ,  the taxi driver chased and  killed him with a -  sword !

Obviously the driver had  had a bad day , the amount involved , over the distance traveled was just a few baht !

5 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Same.

Had an odd few bad experiences and have actually been assaulted (not just threatened) but overall not many issues.

People that have consistent problems with BKK cabs are doing something wrong.

You came in a poor second there to soalbundy

I think you might be one of those doing something wrong

Mind you, you have lived to tell the tale