Arsenal

MiG16

Well as i would be at Heathrow i would fly mate like i normally do,can't stand the motorways in the UK anymore....full of them truckers. ;)

what you mean there aren't any direct flights from swampy to Manchester ?

see i knew you were a blue belt Surrey boy all a long. what is it quick trip round the M 25 and off down the A 3. biggrin.gif

love your lot ! always assured of bumping into a plastic manc in places like esher, epsom, kingston, chertsey, sandown park or kempton with a stock broker accent saying they are a avid Man U fan. laugh.gif

If only James understood...:whistling::lol:

like i said before, only as good as your latest results in the league, especially this year.

seems to be an ongoing theme in the league with opportunities arising for teams to get an edge over their rivals and take advantage, only to stutter.

would have been a good one to win and draw level with utd, be it that their only game in hand would have been away to Chelsea. looks like all the momentums with city ! just have to wait and see what other surprises can be thrown up over the new year period.

like i said before, only as good as your latest results in the league, especially this year.

seems to be an ongoing theme in the league with opportunities arising for teams to get an edge over their rivals and take advantage, only to stutter.

would have been a good one to win and draw level with utd, be it that their only game in hand would have been away to Chelsea. looks like all the momentums with city ! just have to wait and see what other surprises can be thrown up over the new year period.

No surprises.....rolling on...another three points for us on Sat......and on and on......playing great football etc.......you should pop along sometime. :whistling:

No surprises.....rolling on...another three points for us on Sat......and on and on......playing great football etc.......you should pop along sometime. :whistling:

Too noisy for them Smokes :D

Too noisy for them Smokes :D

Even at Villa.....away....10 men.......nah more like 11.....fantastic!! :)

I have a bit of a soft spot for Wigan - cheap to get in and easy to get there for me from Leeds* when I'm visiting the UK and don't have time to get to London. I watched Wigan's last match against Wolves on TV and they were excellent. It does not surprise me they could get something out of last night.

Wenger clearly did not watch their last game or he would not have been so disdainful with his team selection. Actually I don't entirely blame Arse for picking the starting line up he did. He has built a fantastically deep squad (although many are nearly men). However leaving the real stars on the bench or at home (Nasri, Song) when, mid way through the second half, they are yet again struggling to put away an opposition that is playing above its game makes me scream with anguish. That is the fourth time at least I have been jumping up and down with rage when we are leading!

We lost 2 points because we relax too much when one up and we have Championship quality goalkeepers. Flapianski was hopeless against a long ball that he was clearly never going to reach; to wander towards its landing point with no hope of arriving and leave the goal wide open is criminal.

I'll forgive Wenger his occasional strategic gaffs, but if he carries out his confirmed intentions not to spend money in the window I will be banging on again about him being replaced. Why oh why does he have this devastating blind spot about the quality of his goalkeeping squad?

PS - haven't seen the Chelsea win yet. Flew back to Thailand last night and was hoping it would still be showing on TSP1. Maybe I would feel better if I could watch that.

* Surprised to see their stadium so empty against a 'top four' (maybe not this year) club.

Edited by SantiSuk

I'll forgive Wenger his occasional strategic gaffs, but if he carries out his confirmed intentions not to spend money in the window I will be banging on again about him being replaced. Why oh why does he have this devastating blind spot about the quality of his goalkeeping squad?

It's a very good question, although to be fair, as far as devastating blind spots is concerned, goalkeeping strength and depth isn't the only area in which he suffers the affliction. biggrin.gif

It's a very good question, although to be fair, as far as devastating blind spots is concerned, goalkeeping strength and depth isn't the only area in which he suffers the affliction. biggrin.gif

I'm sure that most football fans remember the superb back four and keeper he inherited when he began at Arse and how he just let deteriorate. He has never seemed to acknowledge the importance of a top keeper either and these defensive issues have almost certainly cost the club silverware.

This is why for all his brilliance he will never be as good a manager as SAF.

I'm sure that most football fans remember the superb back four and keeper he inherited when he began at Arse and how he just let deteriorate. He has never seemed to acknowledge the importance of a top keeper either and these defensive issues have almost certainly cost the club silverware.

Couldn't agree more. Time and time again SAF wins a match by strategic intervention (not to mention all the psychological stuff pre-match). That's because he is basically a calm manager. That's why I would readily accept he is probably the best manager the UK has ever seen. Wenger is too passionate, too involved in loving his team and their style of play, too afraid to be seen to be pissing individuals off. Can be the only explanation as to why he is strategically so poor from the touchline.

Still prefer to watch them than any other team most of the time. He does have some saving graces and he has built considerable value without megabucks for the club. But we will never win anything big with him (that cup that changes its name every third season is not big) which is why I believe he will ultimately be pushed rather than having the chance to jump, despite that being sort of against the grain for the traditionalists.

Couldn't agree more. Time and time again SAF wins a match by strategic intervention (not to mention all the psychological stuff pre-match). That's because he is basically a calm manager. That's why I would readily accept he is probably the best manager the UK has ever seen. Wenger is too passionate, too involved in loving his team and their style of play, too afraid to be seen to be pissing individuals off. Can be the only explanation as to why he is strategically so poor from the touchline.

Still prefer to watch them than any other team most of the time. He does have some saving graces and he has built considerable value without megabucks for the club. But we will never win anything big with him (that cup that changes its name every third season is not big) which is why I believe he will ultimately be pushed rather than having the chance to jump, despite that being sort of against the grain for the traditionalists.

Interesting view but I see him as the best youth/young player coach in the game today. He is simply in the wrong role....more of a visionary than a realist. Shame really.

Well it would be if he wasn't at the library! 3-2!! :D

nice cake walk in the park to start the new year off !

3 - 0 to the arsenal will do me and keep the pressure on at the top of the table. smile.gif

Yes - much more convincing. As long as we can keep scoring freely then we can cover up for a relatively poor defense. These days I fell more nervous when we are 1-0 up than when the score is 0-0.

The smallest injury list for ages too - augurs well for the rest of the season if we can put Man City down tonight and if Man U remain as unconvincing as their last couple of games. If if if - that's football I guess. I think Man City are a greater threat than Man U - much deeper squad of talent, with Arsenal number 2 in the back-up stakes. Chelsea suddenly look appallingly thin in that respect

I think Wenger is right to mix the team up a bit at the moment - there's a load of fixtures ahead and he is going to need that strength in depth. I'll run the risk of attracting brickbats from the assembled masses of TV football faithful (again - said the same last year) by saying I wish we were out of that dam_n Milk Cup - waste of space!

Edited by SantiSuk

3 - 0 to the arsenal will do me and keep the pressure on at the top of the table. smile.gif

Yes - much more convincing. As long as we can keep scoring freely then we can cover up for a relatively poor defense. These days I fell more nervous when we are 1-0 up than when the score is 0-0.

The smallest injury list for ages too - augurs well for the rest of the season if we can put Man City down tonight and if Man U remain as unconvincing as their last couple of games. If if if - that's football I guess. I think Man City are a greater threat than Man U - much deeper squad of talent, with Arsenal number 2 in the back-up stakes. Chelsea suddenly look appallingly thin in that respect

I think Wenger is right to mix the team up a bit at the moment - there's a load of fixtures ahead and he is going to need that strength in depth. I'll run the risk of attracting brickbats from the assembled masses of TV football faithful (again - said the same last year) by saying I wish we were out of that dam_n Milk Cup - waste of space!

Ahem......cough....cough.....

Yea, there is enough optimism here to have one think they are on the spuds thread by mistake.

Edited by bkkjames

Yea, there is enough optimism here to have one think they are on the spuds thread by mistake.

Jimbo, you seem to be getting rather obsessed with Spurs at the moment. :)

I blame in on that Smokie person.

Any more of this and the penguin is back on the board. :D

Interesting match coming up between city and the Arse though.....will we see a cracker with goals either end or a more cagey approach?......given the Arse defensive frailties surely they'll have to go for it.....

Interesting match coming up between city and the Arse though.....will we see a cracker with goals either end or a more cagey approach?......given the Arse defensive frailties surely they'll have to go for it.....

Should be a good game. I think both teams will be well up for it.

Should be a good game. I think both teams will be well up for it.

Its got to be three points for both sides so yeah I have to agree. Should make it a great game!

in all honesty i can only see a fixture like this benefiting the plastics ! as i reckon its going to end in a draw. then knowing them after putting in a couple of below par performances and getting away with it, no doubt they will probably go and put together a scoreline of something in the region of a 3 or 4 nil win against stoke.

btw, you got something stuck in your throat there smokie?

som nam nah ! for scoffing down a ham sandwich ohmy.gif and a glass of champagne the other day for breakfast. laugh.gif

Edited by tigerfish

in all honesty i can only see a fixture like this benefiting the plastics ! as i reckon its going to end in a draw. then knowing them after putting in a couple of below par performances and getting away with it, no doubt they will probably go and put together a scoreline of something in the region of a 3 or 4 nil win against stoke.

btw, you got something stuck in your throat there smokie?

som nam nah ! for scoffing down a ham sandwich ohmy.gif and a glass of champagne the other day for breakfast. laugh.gif

Whatever result it is,we will be happy :D but i hope City do you.

In a quiet moment of detente before the weekend....yes Mr Red I agree. :)

EDIT: Forgot to ask....have I satisfied the avatar police?...I knowI was edging close to an extended xmas holiday....:ermm::o:(

Edited by smokie36

well that says everything doesn't it Mr red ?

ask any supporter of most arch rivals of a club and they would say that they'd want the other team to win. just be careful what you ask for hey, it might come back and bite you in the " arse " at the end of the season. wink.gif

and yes i suppose your avatar would look unseasonal to most Mancs at any time of the year, considering the kind of weather they get up there. just surprised Mr. red would know such a thing like that coming from and residing in a place like Surrey. biggrin.gif

well that says it all ! doesn't it Mr red ?

ask any supporter of most arch rivals of a club and they would say that they'd want the other team to win. just be careful what you ask for hey, it might come back and bite you in the " arse " at the end of the season. wink.gif

and yes i suppose your avatar would look unseasonal to most Mancs smokie. at any time of the year, considering the kind of weather they get up there. just surprised Mr. red would know such a thing like that coming from a place like Surrey. biggrin.gif

Edited by tigerfish

and yes i suppose your avatar would look unseasonal to most Mancs smokie. at any time of the year, considering the kind of weather they get up there. just surprised Mr. red would know such a thing like that coming from a place like Surrey. biggrin.gif

Sorry smokes just seen that avatar,nice mate! nearly as good as mine.

Now then Tiger, :D I will put it on record that as a kid i used to go to watch both United and City and it was only when i saw sense that i became a fully fledged member of the Red Army much to my mothers distaste her being born in Moss Side you see!

I support United and if we play City i hope we stuff em good and proper,but i know coming from Lowry town that it would be great for City to finish 2nd behind us...it would actually rub it in a little bit more ;) as for your lot i don't think you will be any more of a threat than you have been the last few seasons,also rans if you don't mind! you do play some nice football but have no backbone to the side,just my opinion of course Tiger,finally to reply in full you must see the league table and understand like most of us northern muppets that United are top...Unbeaten and amazingly still not firing on all cylinders!!! (PLAYING CRAP AT THE MOMENT) This means there is more to come from us and that means as premier league history will tell you United get better when it matters...in short EXPERIENCE! :jap:

Lets see how we perform against the Stoke tonight :)

Sorry smokes just seen that avatar,nice mate! nearly as good as mine.

Now then Tiger, :D I will put it on record that as a kid i used to go to watch both United and City and it was only when i saw sense that i became a fully fledged member of the Red Army much to my mothers distaste her being born in Moss Side you see!

I support United and if we play City i hope we stuff em good and proper,but i know coming from Lowry town that it would be great for City to finish 2nd behind us...it would actually rub it in a little bit more ;) as for your lot i don't think you will be any more of a threat than you have been the last few seasons,also rans if you don't mind! you do play some nice football but have no backbone to the side,just my opinion of course Tiger,finally to reply in full you must see the league table and understand like most of us northern muppets that United are top...Unbeaten and amazingly still not firing on all cylinders!!! (PLAYING CRAP AT THE MOMENT) This means there is more to come from us and that means as premier league history will tell you United get better when it matters...in short EXPERIENCE! :jap:

Lets see how we perform against the Stoke tonight :)

fully agree with you there Mr red concerning our backbone.

yeah we do play some nice attractive football at times, but as i and other members of this arsenal sub forum have been pointing out for quite sometime now our defensive frailties and concerns over not having a world class keeper are a worry. so much so that you are probably right in saying that it will turn out to be another disappointing year with us being labelled as also rans, again.

as for your outfit !

i get this increasing feeling this year that there's to much competition out there for SAF to be pulling off the same kind of tricks that hes been doing for the last several years or so and that this time around hes going to get found out.

i dont think you will get stronger in the second half of the season for the simple fact and reason that the league this year is totally different in many ways compared to say the last odd ten years or so. for a start you have maybe still 5 teams that can still win it, instead of 2 or 3. secondly you have any number of sides now in the league that can beat each other home and away. and thirdly i think most teams have wised up this season, no longer fear coming up against say one of the top 4 -6 clubs and have adopted their playing style accordingly.

i will even go so far as to say that i reckon this could be the start of the demise of such characters as Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson.

kind of springs to mind the song " getting away with it " written by two of Manchesters finest. Bernard Sumner from new order and Johnny Marr from the smiths when they formed the collaboration group, Electronic.

now there's a thing i cant fault about the region of England that you come from. the music that's come out of it over the years !

Edited by tigerfish