Arsenal

MiG16

Great results so far. Pity I don't share your confidence for our team tonight Smokie. You guys might just edge Man City out - it'll be either 2-2 or 2-3.

We still have only half a team (excuses, excuses - but watch us fly in 2 months time ..... when it's all too late!) and we have been very poor against senior opposition at the Emirates for the last 2 years, so I put us down for a 1-2 or even 1-3. It won't be another rout, but Rooney and Welbeck should have rich pickings against a defence that is not much better on paper than it was 3 months ago at OT but has a little more confidence than then. There's an outside chance that our attack gets going (needs Walcott to step up a gear and one of the subs like Wade Chhamberlain to play a blinder). If that happened we could be in for a goal fest 3-3 or something like that.

Nonetheless - come on you Gunners!

Told yerz all that Fulham are the new Stoke!

Abrak - what on earth are you talking about - I think you are confusing economists with accountants. Wenger may be an economist by learning, but it's accountants who save money, and that's what he's become. While I like your model of all the big teams crashing down and leaving Arsenal standing in the clear blue light of sustainability, but I don't agree that's what will happen. The world economy is not going to come crashing down this year - why do I know this, because loads of economists are predicting that it will; the biggest buy signal you could get! :-)

Abrak - what on earth are you talking about - I think you are confusing economists with accountants. Wenger may be an economist by learning, but it's accountants who save money, and that's what he's become. While I like your model of all the big teams crashing down and leaving Arsenal standing in the clear blue light of sustainability, but I don't agree that's what will happen. The world economy is not going to come crashing down this year - why do I know this, because loads of economists are predicting that it will; the biggest buy signal you could get! :-)

An economist is concerned about the efficient allocation of limited resources - an accountant (I assume) is more concerned about profit maximization.

In essence Wenger is guided by economic principles in two respects.

1) In order to succeed in the EPL you need to make a negative return on capital (take that fairly broadly). Do essentially destroy value in order to win the League. Arsenal with their debt have a positive cost of capital so he is adding value by repaying debt rather than trying to win the league. Also when say the likes of Chelsea/City are forced to lose less money by spending less, Arsenal will get a better return on capital by spending more at that time.

2) Game theory is fundamental to economics. It is about optimization choices which are driven by the decision of others. A simple case would be if Coke reduced its price by 3p to lose 1p a bottle to drive Pepsi out of the market what should Pepsi do (in the full knowledge that Coke knows what Pepsi is likely to do.) Or put another way if your strategy to beat City to win the league is to spend more money than them it probably isnt a very good one. And perhaps doing the opposite has merit.

I came by to let it be known that I'm going into lock down mode soon - no net no answering phone calls and if I can't figure a way to block SMS I may turn off phone completely :lol:

So no need to attempt to harasss me' :lol:

But once I get here and looking at Abraks post above, perhaps I should lock down this thread for a while? :o

That was prolly one of our best game in a while

But still didn't make it

Sighhhhh

Second half was a good performance. First half was dire as we struggled to find the patterns with a very much changed side. Manyoo should have been out of sight by half-time.

TV pundits like to exaggerate the importance of games. While I think we will struggle to make 4th place anyway (a numbers game - Chelsea and Liverpool are equally reasonable, but not great, sides) this was not the 'devastating blow to Arsenal's Champion's League ambitions' that they painted it. Vermaelen coming back and the emergence of Wade-Chamberlain are big positives and we should be able to motor when we get some proper full backs. If any one of our four full backs had been playing it would have been a different story. As it was Manyoo were constantly able to undermine our confidence by getting wide players to the by-line and/or into the box.

It's possible that Spurs will fall back towards the fray, but more likely that someone else will emerge from below to make it an even more dogged affair.

I understood the need to pull Wade Chamberlain off - Wenger had already strectched it playing an 18 year old for nearly 80 minutes. The venomous reaction against his decision showed that revolution is only just beneath the service at the Emirates! Why on earth he brought on the busted flush that is Arshavin, God only knows. Benayoun would have been the safer choice to help get to the draw that the match ultimately deserved.

There must be something about Wenger's style that destroys a player once they have started to play badly. Arshavin joins the list that includes Bendtner and Chamahk. Another reason why I believe his coaching and managerial skills are not what some of his supporters make them out to be (and another reason why he should be replaced).

Unusual for me to cut him some slack, I agree. One of his press reactions was typical of the man - I've done 50,000 substitutions and I don't have to justify them! Arrogant sod (more likely out of control).

Although he did explain himself in other media clips I suspect he did himself a lot of damage with the fans. Could have been the turning point (another turning point?) in the love affair of Gooners with Wenger. He can still save himself with a key signing in the next 7 days (very unlikely), progress to at least the final of the Champions League (unlikely), an FA Cup win (possible) or a 4th spot CL space (possible). I don't write him off yet, although I would like to!

I'm looking forward to next season already, with Benzema leading the attack and Ancelotti in charge.

• Like 1

Unusual for me to cut him some slack, I agree. One of his press reactions was typical of the man - I've done 50,000 substitutions and I don't have to justify them! Arrogant sod (more likely out of control).

Although he did explain himself in other media clips I suspect he did himself a lot of damage with the fans. Could have been the turning point (another turning point?) in the love affair of Gooners with Wenger. He can still save himself with a key signing in the next 7 days (very unlikely), progress to at least the final of the Champions League (unlikely), an FA Cup win (possible) or a 4th spot CL space (possible). I don't write him off yet, although I would like to!

I'm looking forward to next season already, with Benzema leading the attack and Ancelotti in charge.

I'd love to see Benzema at Spurs to but neither of us have an earthly chance of signing him. His wages are double what either club would pay and he's settled his differences with Mourinho and playing well.

Chamberlain is only a kid,he is protecting him and thinking of the players and clubs future.

Still a good manager who will turn it around.

We all understand why he made the substitution. I just don't think 15 mins would have made much difference to his career prospects. Probably did a lot of harm to Wenger's though! biggrin.png

Fair point, but I don't think Theo was worked too hard. Chamberlain (like Rooney) seems to have a physical talent plus an instinctive footballing brain. Walcott has never had the latter, looked like deveoping it a but earlier this season, but has sunk without trace on the intuition front in the last 5 games. He's still young though and people are writing him off too early.

Still, like you, I think that Wenger was right not to leave a tiring young-un' out there in the white heat of such a battle, even though it risked losing the match. What would we have said about Wenger's abilities had he broken a leg or pulled a muscle in his enthusiasm?

• Like 1

Carmine he might of played for England,but he has not done anything what they said he would do has he?

And i still feel he has never played a good game for England so that argument is void.

Carmine he might of played for England,but he has not done anything what they said he would do has he?

And i still feel he has never played a good game for England so that argument is void.

If you want the ultimate "Burnt out too young" team look at SAF's Aberdeen Cup Winners Cup side of '83. He learnt a lot from that and has admitted the same.

I still think Chamberlain could have played the last 15 mins. Its not as if he is exposed to this every week.

Don't we just love Arseole Wenger ..........

Arsenal boss criticizes Spurs dealing

Arsene Wenger has made it clear that he is strongly opposed to loan deals such as Emmanuel Adebayor’s spell with Tottenham Hotspur.

When asked about his own loan signing of 31-year old Yossi Benayoun from Chelsea, Wenger immediately clarified: “But we were on the last day of the transfer window. We knew that Jack Wilshere would need surgery.

Back to London tomorrow tigerfish. A couple of light ales mate? Bring some decent pies btw...tongue.png

Bummer, i was saving a Macsween for youi ! laugh.png

You never told me about the Haggis Pasties special did you? Bit naughty that..I must have caught a whiff when the wind blew over the Channel the other day! laugh.png

One nil to the Arsenal today I think. Possibly 1-1, but I don't think we will lose despite a still-depleted team. Famous Last Words.

There were stories that Sagna and Henri faced late tests to be included. Arteta too, but I'm just as happy with Rosicky (a better midfield marshall now IMO, but does not give you 5 goals a season like Arteta). It would be great to have a recognised full back for the first time in months (and one of the best in the EPL to boot). I do not share the enthusiasm for Liverpool's Enrique expressed in other threads - gets caught out too often for my liking. Spurs' Walker is a great prospect, excellent and quick going forward but he's still green in defence at times. When fully fit Bacary Sagna is (or was!) a good as it gets in the English game now that Cole (ex-Gunner of course) is going over the hill. God - give me the days when we were the epitome of good English defending.

Does Wenger pick vanPersie with 3 days to go to a now-tricky Bolton away tie. Unfortunately he has too - no other choices around unless he wants to surrender the tie and another year of silverware down the swanny.

Edited by SantiSuk

Its a long time since I heard you lot sing that song Santi.

No strength in depth have you? Don't understand why a rich club like yours don't shell out for some players but then what do I know...

You'll get beat today I reckon. He won't risk RVP and has become stubborn as a mule.

Yes you get beat then sack him in the summer.

The sun just came out...did you see Santi? smile.png

Someone shoot me!

Ok ok don't shoot me

Just shoot the ball into the net!!!

Pleaseeeee :)

Edited 15 minutes later to add that:

Phew! I can now breathe again

Good thing I said please and gave RvP a smile :D

Now 2:2

Someone shoot me!

Ok ok don't shoot me

Just shoot the ball into the net!!!

Pleaseeeee

Edited 15 minutes later to add that:

Phew! I can now breathe again

Good thing I said please and gave RvP a smile

Now 2:2

Must of been some halftime team talk !

More goals to come?

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Indeed there was

Full time score 3:2

Another penalty from RvP. Not the most exciting but I'm happy with a win :)

For once in three weeks I didn't have to start my Monday morning with a bad mood :D