Data Connection Rip-off

UdonRoy

We all like to be connected to the web these days so we top up our phones and select a data plan. Being a relatively high data user I often select the unlimited 19 baht a day plan which is 1 Mgb, if I need something quicker I will use the 4 Mgb plan. 

My reasoning is that I seem to be “throttled” less if I do day by day. If I choose a weekly or monthly package I am often throttled to the point of being unusable.

So anyway, on to my point. Being a forgetful chap I try to set an alarm for the time it will run out but this doesn’t always happen, I forgot to do it!

The data plan expires and as I have credit on the phone it starts using that to keep me connected. Now I am not sure of the exact cost here but it would appear to be about 1 baht per minute, this would seem to be a consistent cost, even if the phone is laying idle with only background apps connected.

So AIS are charging me 1440 baht a day for data connection if I forget to renew the plan.

How can they charge 1440 baht for something that costs 19 baht normally?

Yes I realise that it is partly my fault but surely the penalty for forgetfulness is rather over the top!

I would imagine that I am not the only one losing significant amounts of money over the course of a year and AIS must being coining it in from this practice.

Please try to refrain from suggesting I do this or that or just telling me to not forget in future, that’s not what this post is about. I am commenting on the practice of charging 1440 baht for a service that costs 19 baht! If this is legal it would seem to me to be at the very least morally wrong?

They do not send a message to say the plan has expired, although I do get one when I have used 10 baht. Other than that it will continue to munch though any credit on the phone at an alarming rate.

Is this really an acceptable practice, personally I think it stinks. What say you?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UdonRoy said:

Please try to refrain from suggesting I do this or that or just telling me to not forget in future

12 minutes ago, UdonRoy said:

What say you?

Not sure if we're allowed to say anything?

But, without subscribing to a data plan all operators here charge 1 baht/minute for a mobile data connection (1.07 baht/min with VAT), and as there are 1,440 minutes in a day, well you get the picture. You accepted those terms when you installed the SIM, and turned on your phone.

Honestly not sure what to say here? Turn off mobile data, or manage your mobile data subscriptions.

You are correct, I signed up, accepted the terms and conditions, I get it. My fault for accepting the T & C’s, my fault for being forgetful.

But I am asking, is the cost of 1 baht per minute just a little bit unfair? 

1 minute ago, UdonRoy said:

You are correct, I signed up, accepted the terms and conditions, I get it. My fault for accepting the T & C’s, my fault for being forgetful.

But I am asking, is the cost of 1 baht per minute just a little bit unfair? 

Yes.

But so much of life is.

Mai bpen Rai.

Unfortunately, the OP is mostly nonsense.

I've not experienced any throttling on the weekly/monthly speed capped plans. So your daily plan idea is just silly. 

Secondly the networks usually have a default 49 baht per day plan. So they will cap your daily usage at 49 baht + VAT. Not 1440 baht + VAT.

If you forget to set your alarm it is your fault. In addition, I don't believe you are being throttled.

Thanks for the 49 baht cap information, I was unaware of that. I must remind AIS of this cap so they can return the 80 baht it sucked out last night while I was sleeping.

Why you would not believe an isp throttles it users is beyond me but I am thrilled to bits that you don’t experience it.

Think I kinda mentioned not settling the alarm was my fault, guess we all can’t be perfect.

1 hour ago, UdonRoy said:

Thanks for the 49 baht cap information, I was unaware of that. I must remind AIS of this cap so they can return the 80 baht it sucked out last night while I was sleeping.

Why you would not believe an isp throttles it users is beyond me but I am thrilled to bits that you don’t experience it.

Think I kinda mentioned not settling the alarm was my fault, guess we all can’t be perfect.

You appear to be really unlucky. Being throttled where others are not. No 49 baht + VAT cap applied to your SIM and forgetting to set your alarm.

What device are you using to access the Internet? Perhaps there is some other reason for the unstable bandwidth.

If I were you, and my phone had 2 SIM Slots, I would simply use an extra SIM just for the Internet. TRUE has some to use 24h/day for just THB 10.00, prepaid. If don't need a day, just don't pay!

In Bangkok I could buy a TRUE SIM for THB ~200.00 with 30GB of data transfer for 6 months, with a speed of 1Mbps, I ujse 2 of them, one for a Tablet and the other for a Pocket WiFi Router 3G/4G!

They just working fine. And another type for Phone calls with THB 3000 to 3600 for 10 month (10time THB 300-360 a month). 

Personally, I stopped using AIS some years ago about cheating, billing for something never used and so on, after I user AIS for more than 15 years. I'm happy with TRUE since!

• 3 weeks later...

OP - your topic title is misleading.  No rip off has occurred.  You selected a time limited plan and failed to take steps to stop using the data when it expired.

Nobody to blame but yourself.  You have admitted as much in your long winded post.

Do some research and find a better plan, and take responsibility for your data costs.

This subject appears far too often and it is ALWAYS the same outcome - user error pure and simple

On 3/9/2018 at 1:05 PM, ArnonK said:

If I were you, and my phone had 2 SIM Slots, I would simply use an extra SIM just for the Internet. TRUE has some to use 24h/day for just THB 10.00, prepaid. If don't need a day, just don't pay!

In Bangkok I could buy a TRUE SIM for THB ~200.00 with 30GB of data transfer for 6 months, with a speed of 1Mbps, I ujse 2 of them, one for a Tablet and the other for a Pocket WiFi Router 3G/4G!

They just working fine. And another type for Phone calls with THB 3000 to 3600 for 10 month (10time THB 300-360 a month). 

Personally, I stopped using AIS some years ago about cheating, billing for something never used and so on, after I user AIS for more than 15 years. I'm happy with TRUE since!

In Bangkok I could buy a TRUE SIM for THB ~200.00 with 30GB of data transfer for 6 months

is this SIM just for internet only? 

its a one time payment of 200 then you buy data later?

is it hard to set up?  as far as contract, talk to operators, show id ?? etc

sorry about the questions but ive also had enough of AIS, thats sounds ideal for me for just internet.

That SIM is for Internet only, use in Phone/Tablet/Laptop and could receive calls too. If you like to use for calling, you could do so, just need to contact TRUE for to open that call service.

That Payment is for the use of 30GB Data for a period of 6 months. 

No any problem with the setup. Just insert the SIM and add the needed APN data to your device and you're ready to go. 

Normally, the Shop/Dealer you buy that SIM from, will just do the Activation and so on for you within 1-5min!

On 27/03/2018 at 4:53 AM, ArnonK said:

That SIM is for Internet only, use in Phone/Tablet/Laptop and could receive calls too. If you like to use for calling, you could do so, just need to contact TRUE for to open that call service.

That Payment is for the use of 30GB Data for a period of 6 months. 

No any problem with the setup. Just insert the SIM and add the needed APN data to your device and you're ready to go. 

Normally, the Shop/Dealer you buy that SIM from, will just do the Activation and so on for you within 1-5min!

Bangkok is a big place. Perhaps you could be more specific.

Similar issues with Dtac, if you are on pre paid and you buy a volume package i.e 5gb 30 days, after the 30 days if you don't renew it before they will switch it back to time based internet which means by the time you realize all of your credit has gone.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Bangkok is a big place. Perhaps you could be more specific.

In Bangkok's China Town, Klong Thom Area. Soi Chaokhamrop which you best enters from Worachak Rd., then on the right side is the Klong Thom Center and on the left side some small shops. As you reach on the right side the end of the Klong Thom Center Building, opposite on the left side are som Handy Shop, and a Bicycle Shop, go into that way right of the Bicycle Shop for about 30-40m and there will be on the left side a Handy Shop.

Go into that shop and ask for the Promotion SIM Cards offer. That Shop has the best offers and they will also help directly to activate the SIM Card. They speak English quite well.

Better I couldn't explain where to go!

5 hours ago, ArnonK said:

In Bangkok's China Town, Klong Thom Area. Soi Chaokhamrop which you best enters from Worachak Rd., then on the right side is the Klong Thom Center and on the left side some small shops. As you reach on the right side the end of the Klong Thom Center Building, opposite on the left side are som Handy Shop, and a Bicycle Shop, go into that way right of the Bicycle Shop for about 30-40m and there will be on the left side a Handy Shop.

Go into that shop and ask for the Promotion SIM Cards offer. That Shop has the best offers and they will also help directly to activate the SIM Card. They speak English quite well.

Better I couldn't explain where to go!

Useful directions. I'll look in if that way and can't find that promo anywhere else.

Did you get just the SIM or was there some packaging?

Perhaps a pic of the packaging if you still have it.

3 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Useful directions. I'll look in if that way and can't find that promo anywhere else.

Did you get just the SIM or was there some packaging?

Perhaps a pic of the packaging if you still have it.

You get the normal TRUE Package with Manual and sticker etc.! That's those normal small Promotion Packages from TRUE about 60mm x 80-90mm, nothing suspicious! Fully legal, you could just go with that to a TRUE outlet for Service or some like that!

13 hours ago, ArnonK said:

Just looked for an package and found that from that SIM I use in my portable WiFi 3/4G Router:

Main_O_49.png

Thanks for posting.

Looks like a SIM supplied with a Motorola Moto E, as opposed to a standard prepaid SIM. 

Perhaps that is why I have not seen them before, as only some outlets will have them.

It doesn't matter to what model the SIM was bundled at the beginning. That SIM will work on all devices used! 

I just received a SMS from TRUE:

Main_O_50.png

In that phone, I use such SIM, which had THB 3000 for 10 months originally for calling only, and they now extended even Internet to a total of 1 year (THB 3000 to THB 3600)! I use a total of 4 such SIM's in 2 Phones, 1 Tablet, and 1WiFi portable 3/4G Router. And I got all those SIM's form that Seller in the China Town, he has the lowest price at all. I use that SIM's from him now for the last 2 years already, after Promotion finished, I buy a new SIM from him.

On 30/03/2018 at 5:44 AM, ArnonK said:

It doesn't matter to what model the SIM was bundled at the beginning. That SIM will work on all devices used! 

I just received a SMS from TRUE:

Main_O_50.png

In that phone, I use such SIM, which had THB 3000 for 10 months originally for calling only, and they now extended even Internet to a total of 1 year (THB 3000 to THB 3600)! I use a total of 4 such SIM's in 2 Phones, 1 Tablet, and 1WiFi portable 3/4G Router. And I got all those SIM's form that Seller in the China Town, he has the lowest price at all. I use that SIM's from him now for the last 2 years already, after Promotion finished, I buy a new SIM from him.

That's not what I meant.

I mean that not every shop will have those SIMs in stock, as they originally were bundles with a mobile phone and not sold as a standalone SIM.

Perhaps it's just the shop in Chinatown that has any stock at all.

I'm not in Bangkok at the moment, so no chance to purchase any of the SIMs. Good value it seems.