Buriram: So unnecessary as Year 10 student dies on his way to school

webfact

Tragic and so unnecessary, no common sense driving in Thailand. Why are children allowed to drive motorcycles. The lack of laws in Thailand when it comes to driving is astonishing. Anyone under the age of 16 should not be allowed to drive like in most normal countries, it seems life is cheap in Thailand. I bet the guy coming out of the Soi never had a licence or insurance, so many things wrong and so avoidable.

3 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

And by the way, I can't ever recall a car trying to turn inside a car at a junction, I only see motorbikes doing this.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen with cars, but it doesn't happen to any extent that warrants a rant complete with diagram on the internet.

Your street cred is now at a historical low, cant see this effort of trying to shift the blame doing much for you either

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

Well...it's one reason why I have been through that junction many times and am still alive. Over cautious??? I don't think so.

Its nice to have some sensible advice from an experienced on the spot road user

Thank you

And by the way, I can't ever recall a car trying to turn inside a car at a junction, I only see motorbikes doing this.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen with cars, but it doesn't happen to any extent that warrants a rant complete with diagram on the internet.

Happened to me today while stopped at a light.

Sent from my iris 755 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

your wrong IT IS ILLEGAL to UNDERTAKE in Thailand......but many drivers do it check it out on google if you NOT believe me.....I HAVE

YAWN!  (if we are using capitals.

I am getting bored doing this but I can see that you need educating....

Look here:-

Overtaking.thumb.jpg.a52d168da1a1b21b4e16aae2ccc61fcd.jpg

and I suggest that you read this:-

ThaiDriving.pdf

7 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

The guy is thick as sh1t and should be charged but also there are no stop markings on that side road, even the motorcycle lane just joins the main road indicating no need to stop.

Have another look and you will clearly see the stop line painted on the side road, but both car drivers and motorbike riders ignore the stop markings

So very sad that a young lad on the way to school falls victim to the compete lack of accountability on the Traffic authority for not insisting on proper driver education! The complete apathy of the RTP when it comes to enforcing the road laws (apart from collecting tea money from those not wearing helmets).

With respect to the use of mirrors whilst driving, had the boy been aware of the Songthaew on his right and behind, he may well have opted to throw himself into the driver that hit him.

RIP

Edited by midasthailand
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, robsamui said:

Not to mention the fact that he was undoubtedly illegally riding a motorcycle - the law is that you need to be 18 to ride a bike of over 110 ccs . . .

He probably didn't have a licence to ride a motorbike . .. . none of them do . . .

He  wasn't wearing a helmet . . . 

My thoughts go out to his family for their loss. RIP indeed.

But in a nation where laws are not enforced by the police, and any child can ride around the streets on a motorbike, it is only a matter of time before any / all of these children are involved in one kind of serious accident or another.

Sorry, rodsamui but you only have to be 15 to get a motorbike licence in Thailand and there is nothing about 110cc restriction. 18 is for a car licence

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

Unnecessary, accident and could been avoided. Boring to hear all the time.

Until these total morons without any kind of respect for human lives that we see on the Thai road everyday grow some brains, all thoose words don´t mean shit.

I love living in Thailand, and I love the country, but I an also truly sad that I everyday have to see and read about the degenerated brain function that so many have in traffic.

Not just in Traffic, sorry.

• Like 1

Very sad. 

Drivers here only worry about what is in front of them. 

No concern for what is behind them. 

I noticed the large numbers of drivers overtaking on the medium strip, and even the on coming lane too. 

I cannot understand why there is not a presence of police on the road. 

That would help reduce the terrible road toll. 

It is such a common occurrence. As you approach an intersection, a 'bike will do a BLIND LEFT HAND TURN' to travel in the same direction as you. THEY DO NOT LOOK. THEY DO NOT SLOW DOWN.  Absolute ignorance of road rules. Then as some progress, they will do it in a larger vehicle. Poor kid, killed by  someone else's ignorance.

4 hours ago, puchooay said:

I know this junction well. I have been through it more than 300 times in the past year. Yes, there is a white line and there is a stop sign a few metres before the junction.

The reason those coming out of the road don't stop is, as with many roads that enter a main road, there is an incline. As the main road has been resurfaced a few times in the past few years it means the main road is quite a bit higher that the roads approaching it. No excuse for not stopping but just saying.

The speeds are high. At the point of this junction the main road has only been 4 lanes for about 400m. This is preceded by quite a length of 2 lane. Drivers get frustrated as there are many large vehicles that use this road. Being stuck being them for a long time, given the opportunity to overtake and there you have many vehicles travelling at high speed.

I actually believe that the poor deceased lad must shoulder some blame here. Looking at the speed he was doing and the fact that, although the bike did pull out in front of him, the road leading up to the junction is long and straight and he should have had time to see the bike approaching the junction had he been paying full attention. He has obviously used this stretch of road many times and should be aware of this junction. He also seemed totally oblivious to the fast moving truck that eventually hit him. No use of mirrors.

The cameras were only put in about 5 months ago. The reason.....too many accidents there. Local people are aware of this junction and the perils of approaching it.

I don't subscribe the the "Thais have no common sense" or "we are talking about the cellar of common sense" as it is derogatory. Lets face it, if that were true then there would be a lot more accidents. I do believe, however, that local people don't seem to learn by other peoples' mistakes.

I wish you would enlighten us with your expertise as to what speed the young student that was killed was doing.

The way I read your post is that because there is an incline in the side road where it meets the priority road all vehicles on the priority road should slow down in case some brain dead idiot driver or rider wants to ignore the stop sign and just continue onto the priority road without a care in the world. The only thing that is evident is that the idiot went through a stop sign and hit and killed a rider on the priority road. The bike on the side road had plenty of time to see all the traffic on the priority road.

All the locals that use that side road would know about that incline and they should approach with care not the priority road. The rider who went through the stop sign would be a local that would know about the incline and the stop sign but he ignored both of them.

Your argument does not hold any water. The simple fact is that there is only one person at fault and that is the person who failed to stop at the stop sign and yield right of way to the traffic on the priority road.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, puchooay said:

Like I said, I know this junction very well. Knowing the whereabouts of traffic around you is paramount. This accident could have been avoided if all involved were aware. I have approached this junction both in a car and on a motorbike from the same direction as the deceased many times. If there is a vehicle near to me from the rear that is stopping me from possibly pulling out to avoid a bike or car coming out of the side road, I will slow down and allow that vehicle to pass before I get to the junction.

The student had only just passed the truck and he was knocked off his bike into the path of the truck if you bother to open your eyes and have a good look at the video.

6 minutes ago, capasso said:

Above all a lack of humanity and citizenship of the responsible motorcyclist: he telephones he looks at his bike but not a gesture to go help the wounds: HONTE

Compounded by the fact that he went on social meeting saying that the schoolboy was to blame.... Tosser!

No licence, no helmet, when will the police and land transport do something about it.

Go to the schools, check every kid and those without a licence confiscate the bike and drag the parents into court, they are the ones responsible for all this carnage. 

Every day the police sit outside the schools and do absolutely nothing to solve this problem. An absolute disgrace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teacherduck said:

No licence, no helmet, when will the police and land transport do something about it.

Go to the schools, check every kid and those without a licence confiscate the bike and drag the parents into court, they are the ones responsible for all this carnage. 

Every day the police sit outside the schools and do absolutely nothing to solve this problem. An absolute disgrace.

are you sure no licence?

What about enforcing stopping at a stop sign and giving way to vehicles on the priority road?

Remember a 15 year old can get a motorbike licence in Thailand, you are not in Australia now

Edited by Russell17au

:1zgarz5:

8 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

The guy is thick as sh1t and should be charged but also there are no stop markings on that side road, even the motorcycle lane just joins the main road indicating no need to stop.

Joining a major road you are supposed to give way!

It's almost as if all these bums on bikes coming out of side roads are specially trained to manoeuvre first, then signal (maybe) and finally look - exactly the reverse of the correct sequence - I see it multiple times any day I'm driving and it seems to be the norm here.

The poor kid was keeping properly well to the left and I don't think even undertaking. RIP poor fellah. 

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

are you sure no licence?

What about enforcing stopping at a stop sign and giving way to vehicles on the priority road?

Remember a 15 year old can get a motorbike licence in Thailand, you are not in Australia now

Mate, I have taught in schools here now for 5 years and ask my students who has got a licence, no-one, I think I know what I am talking about, try doing gate duty at school and see it with your own eyes.

• Like 1

Mate, I have taught in schools here now for 5 years and ask my students who has got a licence, no-one, I think I know what I am talking about, try doing gate duty at school and see it with your own eyes.

All because you are a teacher and do gate duty does not mean that every 15 year old does not have a bike licence because mate I will produce at least 20 kids around where I live that I personally know do have bike licences.

Just do not assume anything here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Just watched the video again....

That should be shown at all Land Transport driving test centres as part of the licence application process.

It won't matter, everyone is either sleeping or playing with their phone.

12 hours ago, dyertribe said:

And not once did he check on the state of the kid he killed.  More worried about dusting his pants off and picking up his bike ...

Yes, disgusting behaviour, you just killed him and didn't even go to help. 

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

All because you are a teacher and do gate duty does not mean that every 15 year old does not have a bike licence because mate I will produce at least 20 kids around where I live that I personally know do have bike licences.

Just do not assume anything here.

Read my response again mate, I personally ask them in my class, I try to educate them about road safety because no-one in this country cares.

• Like 1