Affordable Medication in Thailand

4MyEgo

Just wondering if anyone knows of any places in Thailand that one can purchase the following medication for a heart condition (single stent), over the counter or online, or do I have to go through a doctor/hospital, as opposed to having to return to the old country every two years to stock up and bring them back.

Currently on generic brands:

Atorvastatin Sandoz 40mg for Cholestorol

Irbesartan Sandoz 150mg

50 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Chlovas 40mg should be about 23 baht each (Atorvastatin) for very cheap medications you have to turn to Simvastatin (which for most patients is good - but check with doctor).

Thanks will look into these.

Currently picking up the Atorvastatin for about 168 for a packet of 30, they are government subsidised, hence the reason for my enquiry.

Just trying to weigh up the benefits in savings if I don't have to return to the old country every 2 years, and by the looks of it, buying them here would save me the trip back fare wise. 

Bestatin would be less than a bhat each so a huge difference in price if you can use Simvastatin.  Don't know your hypertension medication but there is a wide range of types and prices available here that might fit your needs.  Doctors tend to write down the most expensive however unless you indicate money is an issue.  In many cases there are cheaper alternatives.

• Like 1

Neither of these requires a prescription and both can be bought at a regular pharmacy.

I am a little confused by statement that you are on generic brands and then listing of imported brand names. Sandoz brands of irbesaratan and atrovastin will be extremely expensive here.

Chlovas, the only locally made generic brand of atorvastatin, will cost less but will still be much more than simvastatin, an older  drug in the same family.

There are a couple of locally made brands of irbesartan. Last time I priced it, they still cost more than local brands of losaratan, an older and  very similiar drug - but this may have changed as the number of local brands has now increased.

I suggest you buy locally made brands and also that you ask your doctor if you can switch from atorvastatin to simvastatin - most people can and it will save you  money.

In terms of suggested pharmacies, any large one will have these, but there are some that offer local generics at or near wholesale price - where in Thailand are you?

• Like 1

On 09/03/2018 at 1:08 AM, Sheryl said:

Neither of these requires a prescription and both can be bought at a regular pharmacy.

I am a little confused by statement that you are on generic brands and then listing of imported brand names. Sandoz brands of irbesaratan and atrovastin will be extremely expensive here.

Chlovas, the only locally made generic brand of atorvastatin, will cost less but will still be much more than simvastatin, an older  drug in the same family.

There are a couple of locally made brands of irbesartan. Last time I priced it, they still cost more than local brands of losaratan, an older and  very similiar drug - but this may have changed as the number of local brands has now increased.

I suggest you buy locally made brands and also that you ask your doctor if you can switch from atorvastatin to simvastatin - most people can and it will save you  money.

In terms of suggested pharmacies, any large one will have these, but there are some that offer local generics at or near wholesale price - where in Thailand are you?

Thanks Sheryl

I am on the border of Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon, an hour either way, have car will travel, and will ask my Cardiologist if I can switch to Simvastatin and losaratan once I get a price on them to make the comparison.

Sorry for the confusion with the imported brands, I should have said I am on generic imported brands, i.e. the ones I buy when I go back to the old country and yes I got a price on the ones I am on here when I went to a chemist warehouse in Udon Thani, they were like 2,000 baht for a packet if I remember correctly, nearly fell over.

47 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

they were like 2,000 baht for a packet if I remember correctly, nearly fell over.

Be very careful how you price things here as it can be per pill, per strip, or per box and the numbers on strip is not always 10 and the strips in box is not always 3.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks Sheryl

I am on the border of Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon, an hour either way, have car will travel, and will ask my Cardiologist if I can switch to Simvastatin and losaratan once I get a price on them to make the comparison.

Sorry for the confusion with the imported brands, I should have said I am on generic imported brands, i.e. the ones I buy when I go back to the old country and yes I got a price on the ones I am on here when I went to a chemist warehouse in Udon Thani, they were like 2,000 baht for a packet if I remember correctly, nearly fell over.

Have you tried Somboon Pharmacy, it's on Phosri Road & they seem to have everything. Always very busy.

There's also Somak Pharmacy nearby. He speaks good English, & is quite helpful.

There is also a big Pharmacy on the 216, which looks, from the outside to be just an ordinary place but is very big inside.

Look on Udonmap, there's alot of info on Pharmacies there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just came across this thread. I'm also interested in heart medication costs in LOS. Based in Bangkok. Currently back in U.K, soon to have angiogram. Plan to return after procedure.

Currently prescribed:

Atorvastin 40mg

Amlodipine 5mg

Aspirin 75mg

Just under 2 months supply (56 tablets of each) is £18.50 in U.k so about 800 B.

Anyone help with an accurate guide of what this will cost in Thailand

Thanks