Thai Commerce Ministry steps up control on imported garlic

webfact

Commerce Ministry steps up control on imported garlic

BANGKOK, 8th March 2018 (NNT) – The Commerce Ministry is stepping up its control of imports of garlic, as the home grown supply is now entering the market. 

Mr. Boonyarit Kalayanamit, Director-General of the Department of Internal Trade, on Wednesday led a group of officers from his department and the Customs Department to perform a random inspection at Tallad Thai in the Rangsit area to see if vendors are complying with the announcement of the Central Committee on the Price of Goods and Services, which is related to the importation of garlic. 

The Committee had announced that importers of more than 400 kilograms of foreign garlic must first seek permission from the authority, while anyone importing 2,000 tons or more of foreign garlic must provide full details such as the exact quantity, the types, the sizes, the storage location, the sales volume and the stock. 

These conditions have been enforced to prevent an influx of imported garlic when local supply, particularly in the northern region, is set to enter the market during March and May. 

The inspection at the Tallad Thai on Wednesday found at least five vendors, who had failed to report import details to the authority.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-03-08
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, eliotness said:

I guess ASEAN isn't about free trade.  My wife thinks Cambodian garlic is better than Thai ,  maybe a legarcy of the French.

Don't ask me why but i think the garlic in Thailand doesn't have much taste. I even added whole bulbs to dishes but still can't taste it.

Also that round garlic is not giving the flavor like in europe.