8 luggage handlers at Suvarnabhumi airport nabbed for stealing

snoop1130

8 luggage handlers at Suvarnabhumi airport nabbed for stealing

theft2.jpg

Eight luggage handlers working at Suvarnabhumi international airport have been arrested by police and airport officials for having stolen over 180 items of valuables worth about one million baht.

The arrest of the eight suspected thieves followed a complaint by a foreign airliner to the Suvarnabhumi airport officials and police that many of its duty-free merchandise which include wristwatch, cosmetics and liquor had gone missing at the airport, said Pol Maj-Gen Thamanoon Traitippayapong, commander of Samut Prakan provincial police, on Friday (March 9), adding that several stolen items have been recovered.

Meanwhile, Mr Kittipong Kittikachorn, deputy director of Suvarnabhumi international airport, said he would invite the company contracted to undertake luggage handling for discussion to tighten up measures to prevent theft during luggage handling and to tighten up the screening of the handlers.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/8-luggage-handlers-suvarnabhumi-airport-nabbed-stealing/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-3-9

26 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

What is it with Thailand and that airport? Serial number of crimes stealing from Passengers baggage! Disgraceful! Make sure you just have clothes and towels in check in bags!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think having only what you can afford to lose in checked luggage is true any where in the world. Have never seen a barrier that keeps people from stealing no matter where they come from

hmm primarily duty free items?  I have never bought any such things.  Do travelers shop at the duty free and then the shop arranges to put them in the luggage?  Just seems odd that they specifically mention duty free and not other regular belongings.  I guess maybe it is because the travelers have a receipt for duty free purchases there so it is easier to file a claim or report with proof of ownership?  Versus some traveler just saying this was stolen or that was stolen, etc.  which I am sure many do for criminal or insurance scam reasons.

This looks to me to be not the usual stealing from passenger luggage, but rather stealing from the airline's duty free storage. I never buy any duty free on the plane so I do not know if they actually have the goods on board to sell to you direct.

I would believe the OP

Just came back to Auss on a Thai direct flight

Wife suggests I put lock on bag (so did ), quite a good small brass lock

There was nothing but clothes & some pkts of smoke ( I was maybe thinking customs cut it off since there drug dogs may have thought the smokes was something )

Nothing was missing or disturbed 

So just threw the keys away to the lock

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The arrest of the eight suspected thieves followed a complaint by a foreign airliner to the Suvarnabhumi airport officials and police that many of its duty-free merchandise which include wristwatch, cosmetics and liquor had gone missing at the airport,

It seems that many people commenting above about theft from passenger baggage are not able to understand what they are reading. This case refers to duty-free items owned by an airline.

.....who is calling whom what....

...this is the tip of the iceberg....

...so who's laughing....???

...not the foreigners that get robbed blind every way they turn....and even at the airport....

...a numbers game...and with next to no rights...not much they can do....

...from the 1-2 week tourist...to the long-stay hopeless romantic...

...the saddest part is that....with tens of millions of tourists...and billions of dollars they provide....it is still not enough for these ungrateful 'individuals'....that make up this inane, pretentious society...

....if you don't like it...bla-bla-bla-bla....

...or...

...everywhere in the world...bla-bla-bla-bla...

...save your breath...

...unless you have been robbed of your life savings....and birthright....just....sh*t up......and pour another...

12 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Only one person we know has a more impressive watch collection than the one in the picture. But, of course, he acquired his legally.

How do you know? Maybe he was moonlighting as a baggage handler, you know how low the wages here are

14 hours ago, Darcula said:

When people can rush to steal belongings of victims from an aircrash site, stealing from luggage on a parked aircraft is really childs play.

I talked with a guy who was in a plane crash in a field near Don Muang circa early to mid-1970's.  He said in no time there were people all over, grabbing whatever they could.  Even taking clothing and whatnot from dead or incapacitated passengers.

Never forget that London Heathrow airport was once colloquially know as "Thief-row" due to the near certainty that anything of value in checked-in baggage would vanish if it passed through Heathrow baggage handling. The unions were so powerful back in those days, that that the management of Heathrow were afraid to tackle the problem head-on for fear of strike action or work-to-rules 

In the end, if I remember correctly, cameras disguised as new lighting units were installed in the baggage halls and when the Police had accumulated enough evidence, they did a mass bust and dozens of baggage handlers had their residences searched and were charged with multiple counts of theft; many of those charged, quite rightly, went to prison. The unions didn't utter a word as even they couldn't be seen to support blatant theft in the face of absolutely incontrovertible evidence. Theft from baggage is an insidious form of dishonesty that is, even today, fairly common throughout the world.

Some people have poor comprehension.  It was airline duty free stock.  That's what those duty-free magazine are for.  And yes they give the stuff you buy to you on the plane.

Still bad.   As if temptation shuts off your mind.  Seems foolish to do this and almost surely lose what must be a decent job. 

21 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I talked with a guy who was in a plane crash in a field near Don Muang circa early to mid-1970's.  He said in no time there were people all over, grabbing whatever they could.  Even taking clothing and whatnot from dead or incapacitated passengers.

PleAse elaborate, dates and flight numbers etc

6 hours ago, DipStick said:

PleAse elaborate, dates and flight numbers etc

He was a former Peace Corps volunteer and I spoke with him briefly one day in 1977 when I was training.  He was working with the Thai Tobacco Monopoly or maybe some farang company that was buying.  I have no idea exactly when it occurred.  It's possible it was some other airport, I can't recall. 

On 09/03/2018 at 8:11 PM, markaoffy said:

What is it with Thailand and that airport? Serial number of crimes stealing from Passengers baggage! Disgraceful! Make sure you just have clothes and towels in check in bags!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

They stole from the airlines duty free, based on what I read.. So I guess good secure bags are still OK, I've never had a problem and I travel frequently.

On 10/03/2018 at 3:26 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

How do they expect to steal this and not get caught?

I could give you a long answer with many reasons but some have called me a racist ( twice this week ) so I'll try just one.

Thick in the head.

???

Archived