The 2018 Pattaya Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

lol, you have a clear talent sixpack, tho i have yet to define that talent.

i wish to add: that its not completely safe on 20,

i had timed my transport of my computer to morning 20, when i

sensed a chill in my spine, a pick up with stupid smiling thais on their way back

on a pickup still armed, i tried to show them it was a computer, but alas, they had to attack

• Like 2

My condo complex has 3 thai pool bars and an english pub and villa market next door. I wont even know there is a songkran

No way Im getting forced out to spend 30k going to Vietnam or Cambodia , Philippines which are all a huge step down from thailand !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

My condo complex has 3 thai pool bars and an english pub and villa market next door. I wont even know there is a songkran

No way Im getting forced out to spend 30k going to Vietnam or Cambodia , Philippines which are all a huge step down from thailand !!

Maybe they're a step down from Thailand overall, but during Songkran in Pattaya, they are all a step up. I'll be staying home too, as avoiding the negative aspects of Songkran is not hard to do with a little experience.

Last year I had to look for a rental house during Songkran, over the whole 10 days. That was fun! I went out quite a bit and it definitely seemed a lot tamer than years gone by. Of course, I stayed well away from bar areas.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, tropo said:

Last year I had to look for a rental house during Songkran, over the whole 10 days. That was fun! I went out quite a bit and it definitely seemed a lot tamer than years gone by. Of course, I stayed well away from bar areas.

That was helpful info for the FAQ (hence I quoted your post) for revealing the relative safety away from the bar areas during the daytime. A few years ago, you'd have run into serious checkpoints. So shopping during the day IS now possible w/ circumspection--you did have "a few close calls."

On 4/17/2017 at 1:37 AM, tropo said:

I wish I could give you some information from around the bar areas, but as far as the rest of Pattaya is concerned....

I've been out on my motorcycle all week (house hunting - talk about bad timing) and haven't been wet yet - including today (Sunday). I've been to Big C Extra (riding from Pratumnak area) every day this week and managed to avoid getting wet. I've had a few close calls, but it seems rather subdued. I avoid 2nd Road and Soi Buakhao, but it's been OK on Pattaya Tai, Pattaya Klang, 3rd Road, Thepprasit, Thappraya and Sukhumvit Roads. There are a few Thai people throwing water on most of the side sois, but they mostly leave you alone if you ask them too.

3 more days to go. I'll be out again over the next 2 days and will stay at home all day on 19.

56 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Saigon is great.  Really Kicking.  I love exploring other countries and will visit DA Nang too.  Would not consider Philippines.  So Song Khran is a good excuse for me too travel out of Thailand. I leave Pattaya every month to explore Thailand too. 

13 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

That was helpful info for the FAQ (hence I quoted your post) for revealing the relative safety away from the bar areas during the daytime. A few years ago, you'd have run into serious checkpoints. So shopping during the day IS now possible w/ circumspection--you did have "a few close calls."

I'd forgotten all about that post. It's good to get information fresh from people in the thick of it. I should add, I wasn't riding around blind - I was being very careful and vigilant. It wasn't easy staying dry and I was actually surprised that I did. This year someone else can test it out LOL.

If I really have to get to areas that will be in the full-on drench zones, I have a very thick poncho that is very effective in keeping me dry. Surprisingly, although I look typhoon-proof in it, people still try LOL.

13 minutes ago, The manic said:

Saigon is great.  Really Kicking.  I love exploring other countries and will visit DA Nang too.  Would not consider Philippines.  So Song Khran is a good excuse for me too travel out of Thailand. I leave Pattaya every month to explore Thailand too. 

(just to add balance)... Each to their own. If I required an escape it would be to the Philippines.

OP, I was thinking a "rules of engagement" guide ie: who cops the full force of the super soaker 5000 and who gets a small respectful splash.

I usually work on the principle of "if they are carrying", pistol, bucket hose etc, its game on, blast and be blasted.

Water verses water, you dont bring out the super soaker 5000 against a cute thai girl gently putting powder on your face.

Anyone wearing a raincoat or poncho etc is just asking to get wet, under the raincoat.

Old lady pushing a noodle cart, nurse in uniform going to work, a polite splash,

Someone mobile on a bike a small splash etc, if they are stopped its game on.

Any small child who shoots you, its compulsory to feign great injury, and fall to the ground etc

Any car window thats down an inch , fair game.

Any female in clothing that may cling when wet, of course.

Never eyes and ears, especially with the stupid military grade blue pvc guns, they can literally take out an eye and it was probably just refilled from a big tub of filthy water.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, I was thinking a "rules of engagement" guide ie: who cops the full force of the super soaker 5000 and who gets a small respectful splash.

I usually work on the principle of "if they are carrying", pistol, bucket hose etc, its game on, blast and be blasted.

Water verses water, you dont bring out the super soaker 5000 against a cute thai girl gently putting powder on your face.

Anyone wearing a raincoat or poncho etc is just asking to get wet, under the raincoat.

Old lady pushing a noodle cart, nurse in uniform going to work, a polite splash,

Someone mobile on a bike a small splash etc, if they are stopped its game on.

Any small child who shoots you, its compulsory to feign great injury, and fall to the ground etc

Any car window thats down an inch , fair game.

Any female in clothing that may cling when wet, of course.

Never eyes and ears, especially with the stupid military grade blue pvc guns, they can literally take out an eye and it was probably just refilled from a big tub of filthy water.

That topic is off topic here, though I'm reminded of the famous scene in Butch Cassidy about rules:

You may start another topic to discuss that as it falls under "facilitating."

The FAQ has nothing to do with facilitating, liking, defending, or celebrating Songkran water/ice/powder throwing.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

I only ever have one question about Songkran: which country to go to this year to avoid it?

Leaving Thailand on the 8th and not coming back until two full weeks have elapsed seems to do me nicely, though at a pinch I would extend my absence to the entire month of April, as I did last year.

Edited by KittenKong

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I went out of my way to  be in Pattaya during Songkran once back in 2005.  Hated it.  I was staying at Flipper lodge or Flipper House, I forget which one now.  It was just too much of a pain.  Can't walk around as I like to do.  Can't hop on a baht bus to go to Big C without getting doused.  Being soaked is not the way to go out and eat barbecue at Big C or to sit and watch a movie.  And several times even at night after 7 some idiot Farang would still want to shoot water.  One guy ran across the street and up the stairs to douse me while I was just popping my head out to see if it was safe to go!  I tried to change my schedule to go out late, sleep in, hit the hotel pool, eat in etc.  and that made it tolerable but not really how I wanted to spend every day.  I was really mad one early AM morning when I was coming back from walking street and some Thai jerk went out of his way to douse a pretty young lady who was dressed in her work uniform for some hotel or business and completely soaked her while walking beside her for several yards.  She was on her way to her professional work job, company color skirt, etc.  The bars have their seats and cushions covered in plastic, the city looks a mess.  I can imagine two or three days of it.  Big block party on a hot day throwing water.  No problem.  But there is just no way to enjoy other things in the city during this time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tropo said:

(just to add balance)... Each to their own. If I required an escape it would be to the Philippines.

Too violent crap food no culture boring sex ...in Saigon you can smoke pot openly ....just like Thailand in the old days... Philippines the outpost of the worst of Chinese, Spanish and Yankee imperialism.....A rape victim of history eating dog food run by a murderous mad man.... Dirty and dangerous and charmless.. The Zimbabwe of Asia. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The manic said:

Too violent crap food no culture boring sex ...in Saigon you can smoke pot openly ....just like Thailand in the old days... Philippines the outpost of the worst of Chinese, Spanish and Yankee imperialism.....A rape victim of history eating dog food run by a murderous mad man.... Dirty and dangerous and charmless.. The Zimbabwe of Asia. 

Enough of your manic bashing in bold letters. I enjoy my time in the Philippines. Have a go in the SE Asia forum if you want to vent your frustrations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

On the contrary. I've managed to stay quite dry in a poncho on my motorbike. I'd wear one to get across town if I had to get to my destination dry, not down Soi 6, 7 or 8.

• Like 1

My first year in Pattaya (2004) I naively left for dinner around sunset via baht bus down Jomtien Beach Road.  I was dressed in a nice shirt and pants and got blasted with a bucket of dirty water while in the back of the baht bus.  Promptly got out, turned around and went home.  Shirt was stained beyond saving.  Lesson learned.

Every year since, I'm part of the 9+ day Exodus, usually going to New York City, an old favorite haunt of mine with nice spring weather.  As the OP says, the madness is always over by the time I return late night on the 19th (land close to midnight at Suvarnabhumi, get to Pattaya around 2:00am on the 20th.)

One year the madness apparently made it into my condo building when they tossed the manager into the swimming pool.  Actually, I quietly snickered about that as she was an absolute b****, but to know you're not safe even in your building to dash to the minimart in the lobby would add to the stress if I tried to weather the storm and stay at home.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

One year the madness apparently made it into my condo building when they tossed the manager into the swimming pool.  Actually, I quietly snickered about that as she was an absolute b****, but to know you're not safe even in your building to dash to the minimart in the lobby would add to the stress if I tried to weather the storm and stay at home.

Happened to me at my condo building years ago. Security guard soaked me good before I could even get to my bike in the parking lot. Didn't see it coming! 

9 hours ago, tropo said:

On the contrary. I've managed to stay quite dry in a poncho on my motorbike. I'd wear one to get across town if I had to get to my destination dry, not down Soi 6, 7 or 8.

I've worn an entire rainsuit. Worked great except ponchos and rainsuits are pretty hot esp when the sun's out. I got wet from sweat.

Good far as that goes but as you know when you're on a bike your head can get blasted, hit w/ a chunk of ice, and shield powdered over. It's a blood sport for the hooligans.

44 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Any chance of an update thread with anything new from last year, or at least highlight the new parts. 

18 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Who should read the FAQ; who should not

Noob residents and normal tourists should read the FAQ. On the other hand, if

• you're experienced;
  • have read the FAQ before;
  • are a big bad water hooligan (oooh!); or
  • just think you're tough and know it all anyway

then you don't need the FAQ. Buzz off unless you have something useful to contribute for the purpose of the FAQ.

2 minutes ago, JSixpack said:
  18 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Who should read the FAQ; who should not

Noob residents and normal tourists should read the FAQ. On the other hand, if

• you're experienced;
  • have read the FAQ before;
  • are a big bad water hooligan (oooh!); or
  • just think you're tough and know it all anyway

then you don't need the FAQ. Buzz off unless you have something useful to contribute for the purpose of the FAQ.

Does this mean no?

8 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Does this mean no?

Yes. Quite a few minor updates but the only item of significance to readers of previous FAQs affects a few who might need to visit Immigration at the time--and who further don't know about the extension:

Immigration normally follows Thai official holidays and so will be closed the 12th - 16th as Songkran has been extended this year. You may call and check: 038 252 750. So will the Post Office.

And there's Observations on the 2017 Songkran here.