"ก่อนหน้านี้"

kikenyoy

My teacher used this phrase and when I said I didn't understand it he had a hard time explaining it.  From what I could get from the context, I think it is similar to แต่ก่อน. Can someone explain what it means, how it differs from แต่ก่อน (if appropriate) and maybe some usage examples? Thanks.

สมัยก่อน
แต่ก่อน
ก่อหน้านี้
Same, same, but different.
Before this season. ก่อนหน้านี้
หน้าร้อน
หน้าฝน

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Since you used the word season, does this mean that it should be used with time periods of only a few months or does it not matter? For example, is this ok?

ผมอยู่ภูเก็ตห้าปีแล้ว ก่อนหน้านี้ผมอยู่พัทยา

Now you start to ask for more than I can answer. I think it doesn’t matter. But I think you are more fluent in Thai language than me. I even struggle with English :)
In your example I wold have used สมัยก่อน. Because there is a period of time in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have it now. If someone used หน้า like that I would ask why. The fact that a teacher can’t explain it is revealing. It is simple enough; used instead of words like เวลา ตอน for the sake of novelty.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It might be interesting to ask if ผมอยู่ที่พัทยาก่อนนี่ล before this ‘ is understandable.

Archived