Nature eg. Forests, caves Songkran holiday ideas

punchandjudy

As the title says, I would love to explore some forests or caves or national parks in Thailand during Songkran.

I am only aware of Khao Yai and Khao Kiew (kiew as in green).

Does anyone have a recommendation?

I have been to many beaches before so would like to broaden my horizons a bit.

Thank you

Ang Thong is a popular choice:

"Ang Thong National Marine Park is a pristine archipelago of 42 islands in the Gulf of Thailand. It features towering limestone mountains, thick jungle, white-sand beaches, waterfalls and hidden coves and lakes to explore. Within sight of Koh Samui, Ang Thong park is a protected area of more than 100 square kilometres of land and sea."

I haven't been there yet myself, but I'm sure others on here can opine. 

17 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Ang Thong is a popular choice:

"Ang Thong National Marine Park is a pristine archipelago of 42 islands in the Gulf of Thailand. It features towering limestone mountains, thick jungle, white-sand beaches, waterfalls and hidden coves and lakes to explore. Within sight of Koh Samui, Ang Thong park is a protected area of more than 100 square kilometres of land and sea."

I haven't been there yet myself, but I'm sure others on here can opine. 

The only place to stay in Ang Thong is in park accommodation and need to book far ahead. Probably can stay in a tent though.

Some spectacular islands, and the one with the HQ has a high hill with spectacular views.

Photos of every park in LOS will be on google images.

I quite liked the park accommodation at Doi Inthanon.

If you want caves and forest, stay at Chang Dao. Lots of forest and bird life. Plenty of nice temples. Need your own car to get there. 

Cave Lodge is spectacular, and the birds returning at dusk not to be missed.

All the info you want is on internet.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only place to stay in Ang Thong is in park accommodation and need to book far ahead. Probably can stay in a tent though.

Some spectacular islands, and the one with the HQ has a high hill with spectacular views.

Photos of every park in LOS will be on google images.

I quite liked the park accommodation at Doi Inthanon.

If you want caves and forest, stay at Chang Dao. Lots of forest and bird life. Plenty of nice temples. Need your own car to get there. 

Cave Lodge is spectacular, and the birds returning at dusk not to be missed.

All the info you want is on internet.

Chiang Dao looks pretty good on Google images. Stunning scenery. Also I'd like to see a Hornbill in the wild, and it looks like I'd have a good chance there.

I'm reading that it's cold in those parts.  I went to CM many years ago and I remember it being ok temperature wise, but maybe I got lucky (I hate the cold btw). Is it only relatively cold for Thailand (e.g. 20-25 degrees), or is it like a UK spring/autumn?

19 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Chiang Dao looks pretty good on Google images. Stunning scenery. Also I'd like to see a Hornbill in the wild, and it looks like I'd have a good chance there.

I'm reading that it's cold in those parts.  I went to CM many years ago and I remember it being ok temperature wise, but maybe I got lucky (I hate the cold btw). Is it only relatively cold for Thailand (e.g. 20-25 degrees), or is it like a UK spring/autumn?

Stunning scenery indeed. You really need your own transport to get there though. It's far from the main road and public transport is poor to be polite.

Can rent bicycles there.

I stayed at Mallees Nature Lovers, but there is a reasonable amount of accommodation in the area.

Given that this thread is about Songkran time, cold is not going to be a problem.

UK spring temperatures- you wish. They are predicting 40 degrees C in Chiang Mai this month.

Chang Dao is higher and forested, so should be a bit cooler. Would be a nice place to hang out during Songkran.

Think HOT, damn hot.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, punchandjudy said:

I have heard Khao Kheow mentioned a few times, thanks.

Have you been there Sandy? Thoughts?

No I haven't. One of those things, its just down the road and in 10 years never got round to having a visit. Some friends of my wife had been on the night safari and said it was very good. We plan to go sometime but need to fit it in with her niece when she is back from uni.