The Suvarnabhumi Comedy...

sfokevin

The airport’s problems also dominated yesterday’s cabinet meeting...

Adm Theera said the cracking was increasing, including those found at the northern end of the eastern runway and the southern end of the western runway.

The immediate solution was to advise pilots to avoid cracked areas. That would be possible because the runways were wide and long enough :D :D :bah: Adm Theera said.

Make sure your seat belts are on tight for landing! :o:D :D (My quote not Theera's)

http://bangkokpost.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Edited by sfokevin

The immediate solution was to advise pilots to avoid cracked areas. That would be possible because the runways were wide and long enough :D :D :D Adm Theera said.

http://bangkokpost.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

I think he might find that the length and width of the runways are dictated by other requirements than avoiding cracks. :D

Also I'm sure that even 20/20 vision aint gonna be good enough to spot the cracks on final approach. Perhaps they could give the pilots a sporting chance and paint the cracked areas red and the good bits green.

But of course, who better qualified to comment on an airfield than an admiral? :o

What a farce, what a joke!

Superstitious pilots will have great trouble avoiding the cracks in the pavement.

BTW SFOKEVIN.....I thought that graph was the glide slope into Suwanabhumi......

No, no,

It's the Precision Radar Approach print out after air tragic have been out all night on the Saeng Som then gone straight to work.

New NOTAM for pilots flight planning into glass airport:

"Cracks, holes and undetermined hazards may be encountered whilst landing on the active runway.

Crews are advised to apply maximum vigilance so the self loading cargo may arrive and deposit funds.

Departure is not a neccessary consideration as they will all be broke then and ICAO will have closed glass airport by their departure time anyway".

:o

They should take an example from their roads.

How about getting some poor sod to stand over the cracks waving big red flags as planes are coming in to land. That'll do it.

If the pilots don't see the flag, they might hear the whistle!

Law suit still on..... maybe BKK post right after all ????

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=28525

International and regional media advocates and leading local English-language dailies have decried the government's decision to sue the Bangkok Post over the airport runway crack report, calling it harassment and intimidation of press freedom.

I had a meeting with two airline managers the other day (who don't want to have their names mentioned in relation to this topic...) and from what I understood, the runway cracks issue is in reality even more serious than you can read in the press.

Pilots have to drive carefully on the taxi to avoid potholes big enough to get stuck with the wheels.