PM Prayut urged to allow elections for Social Security Office board

webfact

PM urged to allow elections for Social Security Office board

By Jakrawan Salaytoo 
The Nation

d1bb71f85be1eca20808a4ee7c7e1222.jpeg

The Social Security Network for Working People has urged Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha to allow an election for representatives of employers and social security recipients to the board of the new Social Security Office (SSO).

Confederation of Thai Labour president Manas Kosol, in his capacity as the network’s chairman, submitted a petition to the premier via the Government House’s public complaint centre on Tuesday morning.

Manas said the Social Security Act’s Article 8 allowed insured people to elect representatives at the provincial level in a ratio of 150,000 insured people to one representative, while employers could elect representatives at the provincial level at a ratio of 5,000 employers or legal entities to one representative.

The elected 125 employer and 125 insurance recipient representatives would then convene an assembly to vote for seven representatives to join the new Social Security Office board, he said.

4db6ac98d3260fa4a68156850b426062.jpeg

The SSO nominees are then appointed by the prime minister to serve a two-year term. The current SSO board’s term expired on November 7, but members still perform as the acting SSO board pending new appointments.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341333

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-20

Golly, I should imagine getting a seat on that board would really really cost!

Perhaps it will prove not really practical, all things considered, for members of the general public to be elected to it. Best stick to the time honoured way of arranging these matters. I am sorry, I meant time honoured way of rigourously scrutinising candidates...

Edited by JAG

44 minutes ago, JAG said:

Golly, I should imagine getting a seat on that board would really really cost!

You are probably right. Look in the very middle of the first picture ...! ;-)

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The elected 125 employer and 125 insurance recipient representatives would then convene an assembly

I doubt there's enough generals to fill the vacancies. Maybe Prayut can just give one seat (invoking Article 44) to each junta-appointed NLA minister whereby each will earn extra "compensation" (not salary) and Prayut keeps control.