Bangkok Metro Tap Water Safe To Drink: Scientists

snoop1130

Bangkok Metro Tap Water Safe To Drink: Scientists

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

waterkade-696x391.jpg

Karakade (Bella Campen) tests out her water filter in episode 7 of "Bupphesaniwat."

BANGKOK — Karakade orders a clay funnel from the Chinese blacksmith, then fills up the apparatus with linen, charcoal, sand and rocks before instructing a manservant to pour in dirty khlong water.

To the amazement of onlookers, the water that drips out the bottom runs clear.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/03/20/bangkok-metro-tap-water-safe-to-drink-scientists/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-3-20

the water in Hua Hin is filthy and very dangerous even to take a shower. Smells like rotten eggs and looks like weak ice tea color.

I installed water filters at the house I rent.

The filters are pure white when they are new, and a month later they are dark green and brown and are covered in slime.

Even Thai people tell me Hua Hin's water is a real problem.

• Like 1

I have been to Hua Hin at least 50 times in the last 10 years staying at several different locations and always found the water quality to be very good, comparable to the tap water in any big city in a developed country.

1 hour ago, saakura said:

I have been to Hua Hin at least 50 times in the last 10 years staying at several different locations and always found the water quality to be very good, comparable to the tap water in any big city in a developed country.

Probably because the location you stayed filtered the public water.  AFAIK only Bangkok meets international standards for public water supply (indeed publically verified with real time testing).

http://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

• Like 1

Agreed.

Hua Hin tap water is unsafe to drink.

A few years back, I took a sample of my tap water and gave it to a university friend in Bangkok to analyse.

I do not remember the exact contents of the water; but the overall conclusion was that the water was unsafe for human consumption.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the water in Hua Hin is filthy and very dangerous even to take a shower. Smells like rotten eggs and looks like weak ice tea color.

The filters are pure white when they are new, and a month later they are dark green and brown and are covered in slime.

I guessed with the headline "Bangkok Metro" was an indicator that they didn't include Hua Hin, Phnom Penh,...or anywhere else in the region in this report.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Probably because the location you stayed filtered the public water.  AFAIK only Bangkok meets international standards for public water supply (indeed publically verified with real time testing).

http://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

Is this testing at the water works or out of the consumers tap?

I'd expect that it passes at the water works but fails miserably at the consumer end due to poor, dirty pipe work and ingress. But I wait to be surprised :-)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

I'd expect that it passes at the water works but fails miserably at the consumer end due to poor, dirty pipe work and ingress. But I wait to be surprised :-)

It is tested real time at many locations within Bangkok (clearly shown on link - click on any location for current report).  Random tests at homes consistently test good (but a bit less so for those homes that filter their water as most contamination is from poor final filtration than from water mains (which are under positive pressure and clean).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SouthernDelight said:

Widespread pump tapping of the water main is creating negative pressure in the pipe system thus contaminant will access via the pipe joints and polluting of water is inevitable.

The quality of Bangkok mains and that they are always at a positive pressure argues against this happening - but if you actually know of an area that has negative pressure you should be reporting it.  Upcountry sources with very low pressure it is more of a concern but Bangkok has enough pressure to prevent from the small number of illegal home pumps not using storage tanks.  

• Like 1

I have been drinking the mains water in Bangkok for the last 24 years. Never been a problem. The water quality these days is excellent as I can see when a the bottom of the kettle. Most of the mains water pipes are now plastic instead of asbestos/cement and/or steel/cast iron.

6 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Agreed.

Hua Hin tap water is unsafe to drink.

A few years back, I took a sample of my tap water and gave it to a university friend in Bangkok to analyse.

I do not remember the exact contents of the water; but the overall conclusion was that the water was unsafe for human consumption.

Lucky that you don't have to drink water that is several years old, then!  What university was it that "did the analysis"?

Odd how so many people who make these emphatic claims can never back them up. 

Edited by Just Weird

4 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

If you're so concerned about "poor, dirty pipe work and ingress", why not read the link?

Edited by Just Weird

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

BS

Lived in Hua Hin for 15 years (same address) and never ever had any problems with supply or quality...:coffee1:

1 hour ago, JOC said:

BS

Lived in Hua Hin for 15 years (same address) and never ever had any problems with supply or quality...:coffee1:

Please don't say BS that is rude and uncalled for. I am just telling you how it is.

the water is terrible in Hua Hin.

Do you think I would install a water filtration system for no reason?

My water smells like rotten eggs and is extremely dangerous to wash dishes or food with. 

Edited by NCC1701A

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Please don't say BS that is rude and uncalled for. I am just telling you how it is.

My water smells like rotten eggs and is extremely dangerous to wash dishes or food with. 

Sorry about the BS comment.....You are right, it was uncalled for.

But we must live in different parts of HH.....I live in Naebkehard and the water here is clear and not smelly...still I would not drink it from the tap.

In London every unit of water you consume has aleady been urinated or defeacated out by 9 people. The water companies are run for a profit and consumers come last. In the USA lead tainted water is an international scandal and destroys lives.  Let's have a bit of perspective folks. 

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

May I politely ask have you ever been sick as, a, result if drinking the water and have you had it analysed in a way you could show the results?  Dangerous for washing dishes with sounds, very serious.. But may I politely ask.. Where is the evidence? Pathogens,  bacterial or otherwise can be invisible and exist in ostensibly clean, clear water.  Conversely brown or brackish water can be perfectly healthy. 

You’d be barking mad to drink tap water here.... this is Thailand remember, that developing country in SE Asia; the perfect home for countless pathogens and a disregard for hygiene protocols.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

You’d be barking mad to drink tap water here.... this is Thailand remember, that developing country in SE Asia; the perfect home for countless pathogens and a disregard for hygiene protocols.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Where they average 2 showers a day rather than trying to avoid the monthly?