Wedding Costs

mcgill

Hi all,

First time using forum

I am going to get married in chantaburi.......

Anyone able to give me an idea of the typical overall cost of the wedding cerimonies for a traditional thai wedding?

I am trying to sort out our finances, money transfers etc. So i would like an idea of how much i will need to spend....... excluding the gold and dowrie which i have already sorted.

Hi all,

First time using forum

Anyone able to give me an idea of the typical overall cost of the wedding cerimonies for a traditional thai wedding?

I am trying to sort out our finances, money transfers etc. So i would like an idea of how much i will need to spend....... excluding the gold and dowrie which i have already sorted.

Hi Mcgill,

I think you should read through the >Isaan Forum (the topic on Wedding Costs- Is this too much) so that you can have a rough idea.

Good Luck.

Edited by sweetsour

Hi all,

First time using forum

See wedding costs Isaan Forum :o

Some guys are still paying for a wedding started a few years ago not mentioning the ones who paid with most of their life savings, so the price could be from 10000 baht to an unlimited amount of money :o

Just kidding, wish you good luck and all the best, wedding costs depend on the number of guests and what type of venue will you choose

I think she is talking 3 - 400 guests.........

I am not sure about the venue yet, but think it is going to be at home........

I also think she is wanting to do all the traditional cerimonies...... evening, doors, wash feet, string etc etc

what's exactly is the purpose of a wedding with 300 - 400 guests?

Same as one with a thousand guests (to celebrate your wedding) :o

If you can count your friends on one hand go with 4-5 guests.

But at the end of the day it should be a one off event so it should be done in the style she would like.

And to the OP :D

Edited by john b good

The way it is surposed to work is that generally the money you get from the guests in the envalopes should cover the costs of the Reception. If you have to pay up front before the big day you will have to allow for this but then you should get the money back in the envalopes.

When Thais put on a party , they really do it in style. It is not uncommon to have really big weddings in some of the most impoverished villages.

Thanks to everyone who were constructive, much appreciated......... think we have it sorted now.....

100000 BHAT for reception........ which the envelopes will cover some if not all....

99999 BHAT as show money....... which also gets given back....

100000 BHAT for 9 bhat of gold, and

100000 for just about everything else.

To be honest surprised at how cheap this is....

I think she is talking 3 - 400 guests.........

I am not sure about the venue yet, but think it is going to be at home........

I also think she is wanting to do all the traditional cerimonies...... evening, doors, wash feet, string etc etc

I had Thai buddhist ceremony in country near Phitsanulok, started 7am or so with monks etc, after that mid morning procession of some sort with usual familiar music, (needs all sorts of props, have to a pay the local expert to organise it amongst other things it seemed), then all morning something going on with people cooking under a tin roof in the garden endless food, all this went on til about 2pm when me and my farang guests managed to retreat to our hotel for the afternoon but the general Thai thing was going on.

Evening bit was held on field in front of local school for 300+ people (including local police etc) whisky on every table, Chinese food (apparently condidered up market) a huge stage with sound system, light show plenty of dancers and a few singers and MC, and a truck loaded with another huge but fairly offensive sound system. Went on til quite late cost including hiring two posh dresss for her and a suit for me 80,000bht.

You have to have some gold in the ceremony my lady went down Carrefour and spent 3000bht on a heap of fake gold and we used that (yOu can hire it for 500bht!!), waste of money but got to play the game and she was not out to try and spend big money on the real thing, although I think we bought her 1baht.

Overall I was over the moon with the value, I can't see really how considering what we got for that money how you could possibly need to spend more. :o

where has the cost of the Dowry been included?

Thought, but not certain that there was Gold and a Dowry usually paid

You are correct, there is normally Gold and "Dowry" or "show money" paid.

The Gold goes to the bride and the Dowry goes to the parents who put it on show during the ceremony. Depending on the family you will normally get this money back.

The number nine being regarded as lucky, we have chosen 9 BHAT of Gold and 99999 bhat cash.

I believe this to be correct, but if i am wrong by all means educate me as to the customs. After all that is why i cam on here..... is to be educated, so far been a great source of information.

http://www.thaiworldview.com/bouddha/wed1.htm

Edited by mcgill