My Australian Passport expires in less than 6 months - already in Thailand on METV

My Australia Passport expires 6th September 2018, im short about 16 days of having 6 moths left on the passport. Its my fault for not renewing the passport before the final 6 months came into play, something i completely forgot. 

I cant travel to most if not any countries now to get a Thailand SETV due to the 6 months issue. Even if i could, i would be denied entry back into Thailand due to the 6 month validity period. 

To make things worse, my current Visa which is METV expires tomorrow. 

Would anyone have any suggestions what is best to do ? Im thinking if i go to the AU embassy they wont issue a new passport here because my visa is up. 

I understand overstaying will cost me 500thb per day.. 

Thanks guys. 

Edited by lionroar
title not accurate

Thanks Ubonjoe, great reply. 

I should of mentioned i'm on my last extension for the METV - in total ive hit the 9 month mark as of midnight tonight. 

Do you know if you can get a express issued Passport from Hong Kong ? Im thinking the hotel costs staying in 3 weeks would be high. 

9 minutes ago, lionroar said:

Do you know if you can get a express issued Passport from Hong Kong ? Im thinking the hotel costs staying in 3 weeks would be high. 

You couldfly to Hong Kong then turn around and come back to get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days. Then apply for the new passport (less than 2 weeks to get it).

Did you miss this in my post?

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not need 6 months validity to enter Thailand. You only need a passport valid for your length of stay.

Edit: I you need more time to leave you could apply for an extension at immigration, pay the 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country after the application is denied.

Edited by ubonjoe

I get you now, thats a good idea RE Hong Kong. I most likely will do that option and see how things go.. i think you solved my issue

I had no idea you could do that at immigration. I will keep that in mind...

Thanks for your help

While I think a trip to Hong Kong is the best solution, I have seen reports in the past that border hops from Nong Khai to Vientiane Laos (returning with a visa exempt entry) have been permitted with less than 6 month passport validity. It is worth mentioning that the official immigration laws of Laos do require 6 month passport validity but, if you are convenient for the Nong Khai border crossing, you could consider giving it a try.

I was up there this morning, that was my first option from the Laos border crossing in Nong Khai and they denied my entry. They explained my passport validity period wasn’t long enough. 

The visa run company who i went with called me back today and said the Cambodian border crossing is usually okay for people in my position 

10 hours ago, lionroar said:

The visa run company who i went with called me back today and said the Cambodian border crossing is usually okay for people in my position 

Officially 6 months is required for entry to Cambodia. But some crossings still go by the old 4 month rule.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Officially 6 months is required for entry to Cambodia. But some crossings still go by the old 4 month rule.

Thanks for the advise, really appreciate it. I might give it ago on Monday at Cambodia. Failing that HK it is

Today I went to the Cambodian land crossing at Ban Laem. Paid my overstay then was stamped out of Thailand, at this point nobody cared for my 5 month 2 week passport expiry date. 

I applied for my Cambodian visa, they picked up right away my passport validity was less than 6 months. Still they weren’t overly fussed by this ( I will leave it up to you and guess how I was given the visa ). The impression I got was if I wanted to actually enter Cambodia as a tourist, I wasn’t going another step further into the country. They new I was doing a border run and were happy for me to turn back with less than 6 months.

I then lined up for my Thailand visa, there are  brand new looking signs everywhere saying “6 months on passport required”. The lovely Thai immigration officer picked up less than 6 months instantly, asked his superior, his superior asked someone else. They told me to go to my embassy to get a new passport, down came the magic stamp and I was in for another 30 days. 

For the record my passport has 4 tourist visas, 2 x 6 month Multi entry visas that were extended to 9 months each. 

My advice, keep your smile on, dress decently and don’t buy to much duty free. 

Total price cost me 3400thb for the border run. If you don’t want to risk it and you’re in my position as Udonjoe pointed out Hong Kong is your best bet. Cathay pacific flights return as of yesterday were 6250thb. AirAsia won’t fly you if less than 6 months also. 

Edited by lionroar
Spelling
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, lionroar said:

Today I went to the Cambodian land crossing at Ban Laem. Paid my overstay then was stamped out of Thailand, at this point nobody cared for my 5 month 2 week passport expiry date. 

I applied for my Cambodian visa, they picked up right away my passport validity was less than 6 months. Still they weren’t overly fussed by this ( I will leave it up to you and guess how I was given the visa ). The impression I got was if I wanted to actually enter Cambodia as a tourist, I wasn’t going another step further into the country. They new I was doing a border run and were happy for me to turn back with less than 6 months.

I then lined up for my Thailand visa, there are  brand new looking signs everywhere saying “6 months on passport required”. The lovely Thai immigration officer picked up less than 6 months instantly, asked his superior, his superior asked someone else. They told me to go to my embassy to get a new passport, down came the magic stamp and I was in for another 30 days. 

For the record my passport has 4 tourist visas, 2 x 6 month Multi entry visas that were extended to 9 months each. 

Total price cost me 3400thb for the border run. If you don’t want to risk it and you’re in my position as Udonjoe pointed out Hong Kong is your best bet. Cathay pacific flights return as of yesterday were 6250thb. AirAsia won’t fly you if less than 6 months also. 

Strange that the signs were there as it has been reported on this forum numerous times that Thailand does not require 6 months 

New rule perhaps?

11 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Strange that the signs were there as it has been reported on this forum numerous times that Thailand does not require 6 months 

New rule perhaps?

The rule for a passport valid for your length of stay does not apply for all nationalities. For others it is 6 months.

Those from most countries that get a visa exempt entry under the standard visa exempt scheme do not need 6 months validity.

For example since it is a entry point from Cambodia. I checked the passport validity required for a Cambodian who gets a 14 day visa exempt entry from a bilateral agreement.

image.png.564f6a2778c448841ba7832f8aa9f88a.png

Source: https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/#input

On 3/26/2018 at 5:48 PM, lionroar said:

All you gotta do now is renew your passport.

Not 100% about visas, but now that you have your new visa 30 day extension, I would think you will be going to the Australian Embassy ASAP to renew your passport.

I know a bloke who took a 20 minute taxi ride, from Nong Kai (Friendship Bridge) and did it at the Australian Embassy in Laos, 3 days later he got a call and went back to collect it.

It would be a far cheaper alternative than flying down to Bangkok as my understanding is that the Embassy's will not post them back as in Australia.

Cost wise, i.e. 2 x re-entry stamps @ 1,000 baht each, 2 x $30 in US dollars to enter Laos and 2 x 300 baht return taxi rides from Laos (driver was ok when we went to have some docs witnessed and waited an hour for us), so check before entering and pay on return.

Good luck digger

Sorry but posts like this, wow, pretty incredible.  Because the answer is so easy.

Go back to Australia -- get a new passport, and then apply for another METV.

Come back and you will be good for a while.  Fly back, get another METV, rinse and repeat.
This is what I do (every 5 years when its new passport time) ; and its about 24h of travel to get to my home town and Consulate.

Australia a lot closer, should be no problem for this.

They (Gov't Authorities) obviously don't like us border/visa hopping for SETV's.

Wish you the best.

Sorry but posts like this, wow, pretty incredible.  Because the answer is so easy.

Go back to Australia -- get a new passport, and then apply for another METV.

Come back and you will be good for a while.  Fly back, get another METV, rinse and repeat.
This is what I do (every 5 years when its new passport time) ; and its about 24h of travel to get to my home town and Consulate.
Australia a lot closer, should be no problem for this.

They (Gov't Authorities) obviously don't like us border/visa hopping for SETV's.

Wish you the best.
Oz passports are 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1