Thai Niyom not a junta election campaign: PM

snoop1130

Thai Niyom not a junta election campaign: PM

By The Nation

56b9caee83827d352fff497916d17177.jpeg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday insisted that the junta government is not using the much-hyped Thai Niyom Yangyeun scheme to campaign for itself ahead of the next general election.

The premier said the scheme was aimed at investing in development projects in local areas.

Prayut is on a one-day visit trip to the northeastern province of Nong Bua Lamphu, where he would attend a community forum on the Bt100-billion scheme that aims to create “sustainable Thainess” across the country.

Through funding for local economic development and agricultural reforms, the scheme also claims to “promote Thai-style democracy”, enhance public understanding of the government’s work and encourage social harmony.

Launched last month, the scheme has strongly promoted by the junta government, who would be in power for less than a year before the next government is elected.

The scheme is viewed by critics as little more than a populist campaign to boost the junta government’s popularity, which has been slumping from a series of corruption scandals, slack economic performance and suppression of public political opinion.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341506

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-3-22

PM denies political campaign as junta proposed as ‘model of democracy’

By THE NATION

395a44f3896b8a4b4485bb1ead0fb82e-sld.jpe

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday insisted the junta government was not using the much-hyped Thai Niyom Yangyuen scheme to campaign ahead of the next general election.

“This is not my campaign project, no,” Prayut said. “We have initiated processes periodically, visiting every village and looking at what local people want.”

Thai Niyom Yangyuen refers to the government’s “sustainability Thainess” campaign, which has seen the premier meeting people across the country.

Prayut was on a one-day visit trip to the northeastern Nong Bua Lamphu province, where he attended a community forum on the nationwide Bt100-billion sustainability project. 

By funding local economic development and agricultural reforms, Thai Niyom Yangyuen is also supposed to “promote Thai-style democracy”, enhance public understanding of the government’s work and encourage social harmony.

Initiated last month, the scheme has been hyped by the junta government, which ostensibly has less than a year in office before the next government is elected, according to Prayut’s most recent promise about the election timetable.

The scheme is viewed by critics as little more than a populist campaign to boost the government’s popularity, which has slumped after a series of corruption scandals, unsatisfying economic performance and the suppression of public political opinion.

Since the middle of last year, Prayut has also paid visits to local areas almost every other week, with the explanation that he wanted to keep in touch with local people and their livelihoods.

In almost every visit, Prayut has handed out land-use permits to villagers and approved multi-billion-baht projects for local administrators.

After repeatedly denying the visits had a political agneda, Prayut yesterday told Nong Bua Lamphu residents how his junta government could be a “model of democracy”.

“We need a government that visits every area and every province like this. A province with many problems should be taken care of a lot,” the premier said.

“How should Thai democracy be? Should it take care of everyone? MPs were often from many parties. If they belong to the government side, they would take care of their strongholds. The opposition side, meanwhile, is on the other hand,” he added. “How could we ensure, then, that everyone is treated evenly?”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30341511

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-23
  • Haha 1

100 billion?

Populist policies?

Nah, can't be...

By the way, is this another scheme they've thought of, prior to being kicked out, ie no accountability - 100 billion out of state coffers - but actually spent when it's finished?

Nah, can't be...

12 hours ago, colinneil said:

Webfact keep it up please, i like a good joke.

This report of yours is 1 of the best.

The poor man is delusional, living in LA-LA land.

Very negative approach Colin - the man leads a government which is the model of democracy - he said so himself!

Of course he may have realised that ridicule is now about the only channel of comment about the government still open, and he has started taking the piss out of himself?

Could explain a lot recently...

Edited by JAG
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

... the man leads a government which is the model of democracy - he said so himself!

Yes, Prayut's junta as a 'model of democracy' -  isn't this the height of deludedness?

We might as well say: Genghis Khan was a gentle, peaceable soul;

Jesus Christ was a murderous villain;

Hitler loved all Jews ...

There is as much truth in those statements as in Prayut's lunatic pronouncements ....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

Yes, Prayut's junta as a 'model of democracy' -  isn't this the height of deludedness?

We might as well say: Genghis Khan was a gentle, peaceable soul;

Jesus Christ was a murderous villain;

Hitler loved all Jews ...

There is as much truth in those statements as in Prayut's lunatic pronouncements ....

I think my edit and your quote "crossed in the post" as it were!

You unwittingly rather support my theory that he is taking the piss- out of himself...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

These red-shirted women in the photo all queuing up to be patted on the head by Prayut remind me of a Red Shirt lecturer friend of mine: when his university was visited by a top junta minister and the Thai lecturers were all forced to listen to that minister's sickening 'speech', instead of treating the minister with the disdain and contempt that were richly deserved, the Red Shirt was seen cheering and clapping the minister, and laughing at all the minister's pathetic jokes.

As long as the Thais go on grovelling and kowtowing to Authority (especially stolen Authority) - nothing will ever change ...

Couldn't have put it better myself, despite being the most sensational poster on here. This carping behind authority's back then fawning and abasing themselves whenever a notable shows up is why my patience has worn very thin with so many. Jesus, you don't have to put yourself at risk, just don't show up or if compelled to attend, listen in stony silence then leave.

But no. They need their pats on the head from those they execrate. How pitiful is that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Come on sheepole...although the expectation is that this program will surely creat enough smoke and confusion I will surely remain in position for years to come you are not supposed to be smart enough to decipher that. I only have your best intentions in mind....as long as I can decide what is best for you!

• Like 1