Thai girlfriend relocating to UK

MarkW123

Hi all. Any comments on this from wiser and more experienced heads would be gratefully received.

Simply put, my Thai national girlfriend is now pregnant and the baby is due in October. What I require is some advice on whether and on what basis it would be possible for her to relocate to the UK post birth. She has visited before and currently has the benefit of a Visitors Visa which is due to expire next month.

I understand that the issue will be her and not the child since the child will automatically get British citizenship through me given that I, as the father, am a British passport holder who was born in the UK.

The questions are therefore:

1.      Is it possible for her to relocate to the UK and if so on what basis and how do I go about making that happen?

2.      Is it an absolute that we will need to be married beforehand? I would like to avoid doing so if at all possible due to having had a bad experience previously.

3.      Could somebody confirm my initial understanding as to the automatic issuing of a British passport to the child and again, if this is correct, what is the process for obtaining this.

Many many thanks to anyone who can bring some experience to bear on these issues.

Mark

Archived