New rule Chiangmai re one year extention?

johnmcc6

I use a broker for yearly extensions of retirement visa. In the past my letter of earnings from the consulate and letter from bank with cash on hand was sufficient. Combined they were well above the 8 hundred thousand required. This time they took my bank books and  photo copied each page . This may be old news but I only do it once a year so it was new to me. It appears they now want proof of exactly how much money one has going in and out of accounts. It's no bother to me but for anyone running on the edge because of falling exchange rates it may make it harder to get the 800 thousand to add up. Normally I would go the next day to have photo taken and get the visa renewal This time they said come back a few days later ( we will call you) as they need time to check the paper work. Seems every year they dream up something new ?

I always gave copies of every page in the bankbook... even the blank ones. I do that with the passport copies too. I know that the blank ones aren't required, but watching them spend the extra 15 seconds removing them is my one little 'rebellion,' and appears to have a palliative effect on the Imm Officer, as we've never had any problems with the color of ink we've used, or the way we've filled out the forms. In and out quickly... or, at least, as quickly as Chiang Mai Imm can be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Not a new requirement,they always want copies of 

every page of the bank book,that has been updated

very recently,that have been stamped by the bank

and signed by you.

Copies of anything have always been required to be signed by the person submitting the copies.  As to copies of bank books (involving those extensions based on the 800k requirement), historically they've only required copies of the bank book pages showing the last three months of activity (so they can see proof you've met the requirement to have those funds on hand for 90 days....or 60 days for your first extension).  So, if they now are requiring a copy of every page of a bank passbook (and prior ones if you only have a few months activity in the current one?), that's something new.

It is also possible that the agent the OP used was just being a bit overly cautious/conservative and Immigration hasn't changed their usual requirements.

• Thanks 1

I did mine last month with the agent in Promedada... In addition to the income statement I always bring a copy of the last six months activity from my bank showing monthly transfers in - This is stamped by the bank (My bankbook is basically blank as I never use it)... The agent never looked at the printed statement or the bank book and gave them back to me... Said come back in afternoon to get photo and collect passport... Same as last year...

I ducked out of the Chiang Mai Immigration paperwork madness 2 years back.

Now I get a 1 year multi entry 'married' VISA from Suvannakhet in Laos (lasts 15 months).

OK so I have to do a border jump every 90 days, but none of this income proof, home visits, 90 day report or TM30 silliness.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not a new requirement,they always want copies of 

every page of the bank book,that has been updated

very recently,that have been stamped by the bank

and signed by you.

regards worgeordie

Yes Same for me every year.

john

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

If our bank balance falls below 800,000 baht by 200,000 baht but we show that we bought a house worth millions in Thailand, would the immigration approve this?

Anyone knows?

Not very likely,in fact I would say no.

regards worgeordie