Any retired painters living in Thailand. Help me

ubonr1971

I want to paint our kitchen walls- half plasterboard and a few concrete walls. The reason for doing this is that we installed a new sink in one corner and now there are water stains. We will paint all the kitchen to make it look better before moving out. 

How many liters of paint do I need? I measured all the walls:

3 x 1.3

3 x 2.2

3 x 3.6

3 x 1.3

900 x 5.9

900 x 3.4

900 x 4.8

6 x 3.9

Based on the above measurements how many liters are required to give 1 coat. Do we just choose an internal 'matt' finish?

thanks

You will be advised to "seal/prime" the walls first.......afterwards look at giving at least a couple of topcoats otherwise it will appear "patchy" .......my estimate is 6 litres of good quality matt/silk emulsion plus the sealer.

p.s. I,m not a painter just a decent DIY guy........:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 29/03/2018 at 8:56 AM, Arjen said:

I looked, and and I looked, I reread, but I have no idea....

What units are you talking about??

Arjen.

Same here ..but whilst waiting for lunch to be dished up I had a guess at the units and came up with around 61M2.

Unfortunately coverage depends on the surface and the paint quality... the info will be written on the side of the tin though.

Coverage may be quoted assuming you will add 10% water.

If you are halfway through the job and realise you will be short just learn from the locals and add more water ...however if the adding results in the paint going clear you may have overdoneit... that's a new word.

...lunch now ... hope this helps

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 5:37 PM, petermik said:

You will be advised to "seal/prime" the walls first.......afterwards look at giving at least a couple of topcoats otherwise it will appear "patchy" .......my estimate is 6 litres of good quality matt/silk emulsion plus the sealer.

p.s. I,m not a painter just a decent DIY guy........:thumbsup:

Using a "tinted Primer" is always a recommended  procedure.

I do love how the OP hoped  a "retired painter" would do all the  calculation work for him for nothing, but that's OK   :shock1:     :smile:

All such information  can easily be found online with Google or Youtube video  searches.  

Edited by watcharacters

On 4/4/2018 at 1:03 PM, JAS21 said:

If you are halfway through the job and realise you will be short just learn from the locals and add more water ...however if the adding results in the paint going clear you may have overdoneit... that's a new word.

...lunch now ... hope this helps

You get   a thumbs up for  this.

It brought a smile to my face.   I suspect it goes over the head of many.

It is a joke on the fact that in english the verb "read"  has two different pronunciations with the same spelling.

In the active voice, present tense  "read" is pronounced "reed"  e.g.  " Now I read a book",  but in the active voice, past tense the same spelling is pronounced "red", e.g. "Yesterday I read a book".

Also however in the passive voice the verb "read" is pronounced "red"   e.g  "The book was supposed to be read by more than a million people".

Phonetically the notice above should sound like this:

I sometimes reed reed as red when it's supposed to be red as reed.

Edited by partington

Retired house painter here!  Not retired actually, but was a painter for many years in my younger days.

petermik's advice on the primer coat is key especially with water stains.  You might be able to also get a spray primer to spray the water stains first before a full coat of primer.  Also, sand smooth any cracking/flaking areas before priming/painting.

Not even gonna try to estimate how much paint you'll need... buy a few liters first, and if you run out, go back and buy some more.

• 1 month later...

Not a "retired painter", just a wife who has organized many home painting DIY projects for Hubby.  

Is it really a good idea to use a matte paint for a kitchen?  Personally, I find that I clean kitchen walls from time-to-time and even with a gentle cleaner, a semi-gloss paint or even a full-on gloss paint holds up much better.  

Oh and be sure to buy more than needed for a quick one-coat "freshening" a couple years down the road for the one wall that inevitably gets all the spatters from cooking.

A prime won't hurt but I doubt necessary if the walls already painted.  What is absolutely necessary is a good cleaning before applying anything.  As for the amount of paint to purchase... it doesn't matter much what the wall space area works out because paint is only sold in two sizes and if you have a room to paint, might as well start with a big bucket.

2 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

A prime won't hurt but I doubt necessary if the walls already painted.  What is absolutely necessary is a good cleaning before applying anything.  As for the amount of paint to purchase... it doesn't matter much what the wall space area works out because paint is only sold in two sizes and if you have a room to paint, might as well start with a big bucket.

That's right, a good washing with tri-sodium phosphate is in order.  That's TSP or what some people call "sugar soap".  

Not a retired painter but my dad used to own a paint store. You might have some grease stains as well. We always used TSP to clean those and applied something we called a spot primer. You can buy shellac at Home Pro and it's a pretty good spot primer. In the US you can buy cans of spray shellac. Those are really handy to have around the house. I see that US based Home Depot sells shellac based primers in spray cans now.