fiance wants a mortgage to pay off personal loan... then the story gets interesting

3 hours ago, mrfill said:

What happened to the 200,000Bt that was loaned?

That's where your answer lies.

Exactly 

living way beyond her means & sending him pictures of the maintenance that has to be done

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

I would have to say that as her husband.. you may he asked to sign legal documents regarding loans. I did.. but that didn't make me responsible for payment to them. 

As her fiance.. you don't have to sign anything.. she is nothing to you until you are married. 

Rubbish 

It is her house since owning it prior to marriage 

Nothing to do with him unless he is willing to be Guarantor

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

To my knowledge it's common in Thailand that both husband and wife shall sign for a loan in property, or a mortgage; i.e. one part cannot take a loan without the other part accepting it.

Rubbish

It shall be worked out on the Thais salary & Falang will be Guarantor after paying for half the house 

2 hours ago, seajae said:

my wife bought a block of units and when she paid for them at the land office they got me to sign the document  as well, as I understood it, it was to say I was aware/giving her permission to buy them as we were a married couple.

Rubbish

It was a document to say that you will have no interest in the property, since it is hers

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Getting a mortgage in Thailand is not easy and the bank would want many documents; proof of income; a land survey and it would take several months to get it approved.

Exactly right

I tried at BB, not that I really needed to

I could of put half down in which they wanted

They said to much paper work

So I just went through the developer at a higher interest rate

Smashed the loan in a couple of yrs no problem

12 hours ago, zephyrblau said:

all points well taken. I've been traveling to Thailand for 5 - 6 years. a friend & former co-worker is married to a bar girl & right from the beginning I was made aware of the pitfalls. I've been a member of the forum for a few years so the level of cynicism here re: Thai women comes as no surprise. the first woman I was smitten with played me for 175K before announcing she would no relocate. 

my fiance is a widow. we were introduced by a mutual friend. she is not wise to the ways of the world in Thailand (P4P)  she has a son in his mid-20s who has been in a solid relationship for 3 - 4 years. his stable relationship speaks well of his upbringing. my fiance agrees to relocate. the reason for selling the house involves drama surrounding her sister, who she basically took in off the street, and her ex-brother in law who she does not trust any father than she could throw him. my fiance & her son own other properties.  she is not shy about asking for money but always sends me photos of required repairs. 

all of that said, I will drop her like the proverbial dirty shirt if I determine that I've been played.    

Too late, hook, line and sinker already

sorry for any confusion. she wrote "...spouse..." (Google translate) after discussing the scenario w/ her lawyer.  in follow up conversations I am trying to determine if her lawyer speaks English and / or if her lawyer understands that I am a U.S. citizen.  

we are NOT married.  

it also seems logical (yes, I know...) that she could take out a loan based on the equity in the property, estimated @ 2M, at the drop of a hat. 

5 hours ago, mrfill said:

What happened to the 200,000Bt that was loaned?

That's where your answer lies.

it was a gift to her (spoiled) son to help finish & stock a neighborhood mini mart near his home in Pak Chong. 

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Rubbish

It shall be worked out on the Thais salary & Falang will be Guarantor after paying for half the house 

Thanks for your reply; however, did you care to check the part of the post that you didn't quote, and the linked information..?

14 minutes ago, zephyrblau said:

sorry for any confusion. she wrote "...spouse..." (Google translate) after discussing the scenario w/ her lawyer.  in follow up conversations I am trying to determine if her lawyer speaks English and / or if her lawyer understands that I am a U.S. citizen.  

we are NOT married.  

it also seems logical (yes, I know...) that she could take out a loan based on the equity in the property, estimated @ 2M, at the drop of a hat. 

I was quite sure, you in your OP wrote...

I suggested she go to the bank. she says there is some complication due to our US marriage.

However, if you're not married, any loans and mortgage has nothing to do with your acceptance.

It's common that title deeds are used for loans – even deeds that cannot be mortgaged or used as guarantee for loans (printed in red at front of title deed) – often at a quite high interest. If there'a an interest on the loan from her "friend", it's a benefit to get out of it before the interest amount become too high, and replace it with a bank loan, or a proper mortgage, if possible...:smile:

If you are not married then you have nothing to do with it and she doesn't need your signature for anything (if she wants your signature it's maybe to make you liable for her loan).

So it's your choice if you want to pay for it or not.

Are you seriously thinking about marrying a woman with who you can't even talk and who wants a bunch of money from you?

Marrying in Thailand doesn't give you any real advantages other than a Visa (and that's only relevant if you are under 50)

Edited by jackdd

Depends entirely on you how you feel about helping somebody who is in need of less than 2 months salary.....:smile:

If you don't care about her enough to support her on this occasion, then the guys are correct, time to leave, as she is not asking a great deal

That goes for all the other skinflints that advocate you 'run' .......better not to get involved with a Thai lady....they can do much better :smile:

If you are not married, then it is time to stop. Unless you just want to be a sugar daddy and

keep sending money every time your fiance comes up with another story of why she needs

more money from you.  Go Far and do not return.  That is my advice anyway.

Geezer

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 1:45 AM, zephyrblau said:

she owns her home, but surrendered the deed for a 200K thb loan from a friend. she wants to buy the deed back to simplify the sale of the home & to get her "friend" off her back.

Just say no.

My wife is a Thai Real estate attorney. First: Do not sign anything that is in Thai language. Second: get a promissory note for any money given to anyone in both Thai and English language. Be careful what you sign. probably a good idea to pay an attorney to oversee what you are doing. the legal fee will be small and the savings could be big. Be smart!!

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

If you are not married, then it is time to stop. Unless you just want to be a sugar daddy and

keep sending money every time your fiance comes up with another story of why she needs

more money from you.  Go Far and do not return.  That is my advice anyway.

Geezer

Sounds like excellent advice. Take it from one who knows.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you are not married then you have nothing to do with it and she doesn't need your signature for anything (if she wants your signature it's maybe to make you liable for her loan).

So it's your choice if you want to pay for it or not.

Are you seriously thinking about marrying a woman with who you can't even talk and who wants a bunch of money from you?

Marrying in Thailand doesn't give you any real advantages other than a Visa (and that's only relevant if you are under 50)

Two Thumbs Up. Sounds like the perfect time to move on. 

14 hours ago, GJ2Thai said:

a few comments:  1... As a Foreigner you can own a House / Condo, but you CANNOT own the land. ( Only own up to 49% )

2.   Most RURAL land is "ROYAL ESTATE" and is not owned by the occupier.

3.  It may be better to take a  lease on a building 

Bar girls all work the same scams... they talk to each other on how to extort as much money as they can from foreigners.

Traditionally, the eldest girl is responsible to support her parents and younger siblings  ( including her children if she has any) This is why they will never want to leave home.

They will want you to buy  everything,  Cars, Motorcycles, all repairs, Insurances, Taxes, land debts, in addition to the Gold necklaces , Bracelettes and rings.

often they will tell you they took the gold to pledge, because a child was sick... must pay the doctor.,  then they want you to pay the pledge to get their gold back..

you will never see and evidence ,  never see the money being paid at a bank, government office, pawn broker, hospital.

you will never see any official debt documents..

its always hand written on general stationary that can be purchased at any 7/11

tread very carefully..

I always send money ( on conditional loan ) ensure you keep the transscipt of all your chat text

its proof of the fraud and extorsion if you ever need it.

if you buy a house... always buy in your partners name, and you send the monthly payment...

if everything goes bad... just stop paying... the bank will swiftly reclaim the property..

just remember that the farming land or village land is generally not their own land... it usually government land,,, so unless they can produce a land document that can be verified, i would put up my middle finger.

IF indout, I always correspond with .https://www.siam-legal.com/, I find them very good to deal with, but there are many others.

You know nothing about Thailand, it's culture or its people, nothing at all.

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply; however, did you care to check the part of the post that you didn't quote, and the linked information..?

You have no idea, you might want to read Thai law

The link means shit

Just actually read that little bit of subtract 

& you would be one those idiots to also say that a thai woman needs your signature & that also they couldn't sell a property with a Usufrut on it

Edited by BEVUP

4 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

It's a good thing Thailand is moving forward and requiring husband's signature. The OP should be so lucky as half of the proceeds from the house sale will belong to him.

& why would they need a signature if it is their property

& will only get half if bought whilst married 

OH that's right you may be another one that may want to put your signature on the toilet roll after your wife sold your Usufrut property

PS: I should give you all the Google co ordinates of a place in a village where you will get a house for 1.5 mill, but worth 3 mill 

You only have to deal with the loan shark who owns the deed with my Usufrut on it 

Maybe barter him down & come & see me to remove Usufrut

Edited by BEVUP