Power of Attorney

A friend of mine is terminally ill back in the UK.

He has a bank account here in Pattaya with a balance of over 1,000,000 bht

He also has paid a 950,000 bht deposit on a 1,000,000 bht studio condo -50,000 bht outstanding when keys are handed over.

He is unable to travel to Pattaya .

He has a daughter who is his sole heir.

I have been advised that he can authorise PofA to his daughter , but that would require a visit to a Thai Embassy in the UK-which I don't think he is well enough to do.

The other option is for me to be given P of A and then I can conduct his business , under his instruction-But I don't know if this can be done.

Any advice would be welcome.

No difference between you or daughter being POA, either would require a trip to Thai consulate or a Notary Public etc (I think you will find the Thai Consulate is giving notary public services). Keep in mind that a POA ends when the person dies, then the will/executor etc takes over.

I would imagine a solicitor/lawyer in the UK could do a POA, bedside hospital visit, consulate, notary public etc.

Edited by Peterw42

39 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

No difference between you or daughter being POA, either would require a trip to Thai consulate or a Notary Public etc (I think you will find the Thai Consulate is giving notary public services). Keep in mind that a POA ends when the person dies, then the will/executor etc takes over.

Thank you for that clarification.

I did fail to advise that I reside in Pattaya , so it seems I do not qualify unless I return to the UK.

2 minutes ago, masterpasser said:

Thank you for that clarification.

I did fail to advise that I reside in Pattaya , so it seems I do not qualify unless I return to the UK.

I think your friend could still arrange a POA in the UK and then send it to you in Thailand. Probably expensive but large international firm may even have a UK and Thai office.

Only open question here I think is if the POA must be signed in Thailand or not. Thai's sign POA's all the time, the standard form can be bought even at BIG C. Most Thai's just sign blank POA's. I actually did the same but only after living here for over 20 years :smile: Ex wife mortgaged the car, we went to the mortgage company, she signed off on the loan paper, I paid the outstanding amount, signed a blank POA (witness signatures conveniently added later) and handed over signed copies of my blue tabien baan etc, and we said thank you and left. A week later they called and said that I could the book and everything was perfect. I was now registered as the new owner of the car I had paid 1.5 times :crying: 

This works for transferring car ownerships anyway, I don't know if banks / for real estate require something different / more. A simplification (if POA can be signed abroad) could be to just send over a blank POA and get it back signed and go to a law firm here and get the rest filled in

My Finance director jokes with me and says: Michael, you have gone native. Yes, I suppose that is true. Works fine with me

My wife has been made power of attorney, from clients living abroad, several times.

My wife makes out the form with all relevant information in Thai and also a translation, and sends these ny email. The client then prints out the forms takes them to a notary and signs in front of the notary, who then witnesses and the forms are then couriered back to Thailand. These are then accepted by the courts in Thailand and therefore I would imagine they would be accepted by anybody.

HL

1 hour ago, happylarry said:

My wife has been made power of attorney, from clients living abroad, several times.

My wife makes out the form with all relevant information in Thai and also a translation, and sends these ny email. The client then prints out the forms takes them to a notary and signs in front of the notary, who then witnesses and the forms are then couriered back to Thailand. These are then accepted by the courts in Thailand and therefore I would imagine they would be accepted by anybody.

HL

Then should be easy to solve this problem :laugh: Just send over a blank POA and add the rest of the details here 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, happylarry said:

HL

Good Morning HappyLarry

In the office in a good mood and just wanted to ask - How unreal am I... , as a westerner that is, just signing and handing over an open POA and 200,000 bt to the car financing company where they/anyone actually can put anything in? 

10 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

Good Morning HappyLarry

In the office in a good mood and just wanted to ask - How unreal am I... , as a westerner that is, just signing and handing over an open POA and 200,000 bt to the car financing company where they/anyone actually can put anything in? 

Thats quite an idea Mikey.....i agree with you, and do wonder if anyone can have such trust without knowing the person they are dealing with.

However it has been done and people have had trust in my wife, so I guess if you are stuck in a hard place then you have to make that choice, or lose a lot more.

HL

13 hours ago, happylarry said:

Thats quite an idea Mikey.....i agree with you, and do wonder if anyone can have such trust without knowing the person they are dealing with.

However it has been done and people have had trust in my wife, so I guess if you are stuck in a hard place then you have to make that choice, or lose a lot more.

HL

I'd trust your wife any day :)