Rules for Thai Driving license

It shouldn't be a problem. When I made my license there's an Austrian who couldn't do the test. The employee ticked the right boxes for a fee.

Here's what you'll have to prepare for. The bold sentences are the right answers.

it's possible that they've got new questions, but it will certainly help you.

Please see: 

http://thaidriving.info/

E-EXAM1.pdf

E-EXAM2.pdf

E-EXAM3.pdf

There is an English language training video available.

You also need to know the road signs and markings on the streets and curbs.  The Land Transport Office where you take the test will probably have a poster showing them but you can find them at Wikipedia.

Road signs in Thailand

Thailand Road Markings and Traffic Lights

You can take the written test in English but be sure to wear conservative clothing.  When I took the test for my motorcycle license one woman was in shorts and she was forced to go out and buy long pants before they would let her take the test.  Men seem to be able to get away with shorts but I wouldn't push it by wearing short cutoff jeans or a tank top.

Check YouTube for videos of the "Thailand Driving Test" for car and motorcycle. 

For motorcycle anyone should be able to weave through the cones (some can't) so the only hard part is the "plank" test.  You have to drive slowly down a 10" wide by 60' long "plank" without falling off.  Here in Pattaya the plank is made of concrete.  Tuck your knees in tight, look at least 20' down the road (NOT right in front of the motorcycle), apply a bit of rear break and rev the engine enough to overcome the small amount of rear breaking (the rear breaking helps stabilize the bike at slow speeds).  Don't slow down once you start since slowing will probably make you weave.  Practice driving slowly in a straight line lots before the test.

52 minutes ago, shaggy851 said:

So it sounds like you are going to struggle on your own. Depending on your location theres a few people that assist forigners to get these things, open banks etc. i reccomend tik tok rachanee pattaya. Do a facebook search 

I have been in touch with Tiktok and they refuse to answer my emails, this was for something which is very important to me, they promised to find out and email me back, I have emailed them several times and they just ignore me.

56 minutes ago, shaggy851 said:

So it sounds like you are going to struggle on your own. Depending on your location theres a few people that assist forigners to get these things, open banks etc. i reccomend tik tok rachanee pattaya. Do a facebook search 

I have been in touch with Tiktok and they refuse to answer my emails, this was for something which is very important to me, they promised to find out and email me back, I have emailed them several times and they just ignore me.

• Like 1

And how to Fold a Brown Envelope.
Thats nothing i yook a car for its 12 year mot the other day and he kicked all 4 tyres yes you heard right all 4. And when my wife took her test they insisted she sat in the drivers seat. I told them i sat there and she just used the plastic stick on wheel.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

29 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

And how to Fold a Brown Envelope.

I made my DL in Chonburi, not knowing much about LOS and Immigration at this time.

I needed a place where I lived but was a tourist. The Immigration had an idea and made my hotel to the place where I was living. 

The address is still in my licenses, and nobody wanted to change it, to me, it doesn't make a difference. 

On 3/30/2018 at 1:51 PM, grumbleweed said:

Yes, but it's very strict. You have to know how to put the key in the ignition. 

Always someone trying to be clever.

Friend of mine was failed in Pattaya for touching a cone whilst reversing and my Thai niece was failed in Chonburi, again for manoevering.

Not always the rubber stamp job that some would make out.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Always someone trying to be clever.

Friend of mine was failed in Pattaya for touching a cone whilst reversing and my Thai niece was failed in Chonburi, again for manoevering.

Not always the rubber stamp job that some would make out.

And always someone totally void of a sense of humour.

However: I've done, and also watched others do the test. You'd have to be a total retard and completely void of any cognitive skills to fail.

Nice to see the circles you live in. Who dresses these friends and family of yours?

• Haha 1

I've had several drivers licenses in Thailand.  The best office I found was at near the Chatuchak market.

https://thaibeat.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/how-to-get-a-local-drivers-license-in-thailand/

The routine is street light color test, proximity test and eye test.  For physical test a motorcycle takes you to a doctors office to certify you are still alive and well.

They have a separate booths for foreigners. Waiting time never as long as other places.

I've never had to take the driving portion of the test, maybe because I had my out of country license.

One of my licenses expired, I was given a two year license and on renewal I was given the five year.

I've heard if you take the driving part the examiners purposely make you nervous causing people to fail, not only foreigners have had this experience.

Best of luck

Edited by sdimts

On 4/1/2018 at 2:49 PM, grumbleweed said:

And always someone totally void of a sense of humour.

However: I've done, and also watched others do the test. You'd have to be a total retard and completely void of any cognitive skills to fail.

Nice to see the circles you live in. Who dresses these friends and family of yours?

Still trying to be clever, not working.

On 1.4.2018 at 8:56 PM, sdimts said:

I've had several drivers licenses in Thailand.  The best office I found was at near the Chatuchak market.

This is backed by a new thread in the Motor forum about Chatuchak DLT (where this one should have been too :smile:).

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1031938-a-brief-overview-of-getting-a-thai-license/

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/3/2018 at 11:10 AM, Barshad said:

5) “ tabian baan “ from immigration

You get that from your Amphur. Mine, Bang Rakam, refused because I am not married to my GF of 10 years. Imm SHOULD give you, free of charge, a Certificate of Residence.