Ebike questions

poanoi

where in south & central pattaya are they for sale/show ?

is there any kind of electric bikes that require driving license ?

is there any issue with importing from china ?

does anyone have experience with this bike ?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/QUEENE-AMS-48V-750W-Beach-Fat_60640093204.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.811.2e7846da3H0lKX

there's a couple of things i have concerns about:

1] is my arse up to the task of sitting on a tiny saddle ?

2] i'm too tall for a scooter already, how hellbent is it going to be to fit on it ?

i could use a 2nd opinion on this one:

its going over 40k baht to get the ebike to thailand,

and i have yet to find out if my sensitive arse can handle such a small saddle.

otoh its a 1000 watt engine, unlike the common 250 watt engines i see

for sale in thailand, and i totally do not feel like paddling uphill

14 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i could use a 2nd opinion on this one:

its going over 40k baht to get the ebike to thailand,

and i have yet to find out if my sensitive arse can handle such a small saddle.

otoh its a 1000 watt engine, unlike the common 250 watt engines i see

for sale in thailand, and i totally do not feel like paddling uphill

What's to stop you changing the seat to a bigger one if necessary?

For 40,000 baht just get a Honda Wave...it will last longer and is very economical on petrol...can be refilled everywhere in minutes not hours also servicing is cheap
by thousands of shops all over the country.

16 hours ago, poanoi said:

So: the cost for it, a 1000 W engine 48 V foldable ebike is just over 40k,

but bought in bulk of 10 the price comes to around 26k,

any other 9 takers here ?

750 W I read .

3 minutes ago, anto said:

750 W I read .

yes, but i requested 1000 W if possible, so that is what i negotiate about,

it added 80 dollar to price IIRC

Edited by poanoi

E-Bikes were subject to a 60% import duty.  There's a Sino-Thai free trade agreement that's dropped the rate on a lot of products, but I'm not sure about e-bikes (I have 3 in Bangkok, all bought in Thailand).  Check carefully before you end up with a real surprise.  At the very least, you'll be hit with VAT.

In addition, you'd be wise to check on the procedure to import them in bulk without having an import license, WP and a registered business.  It's one thing to buy one from China on AliExpress or Lazada for personal use.  Another thing completely to buy enough that an intent for resale is obvious- even if it's just to your friends.

One more caveat, the batteries in most e-bikes and e-scooters will only put out about 10 amps without damaging (or at least quickly draining and overheating) the battery.  That means around 480 watts for a 48 volt motor.  They'll gladly sell you a 1000 watt unit for 48 volts, but you'll wear down the battery pretty quickly.  High end scooters in China are going to 60 and 72 volts.  (I also have 3 e-bikes and scooters at my home in China, all 48V and all 350-500 watt).  350 watts is barely adequate.  My 500 watt Niu U1 Sport is just about the right balance. 

The 250 watt units sold in Thailand are okay for going for groceries, but not so fun for bopping around on BKK streets. 

3 hours ago, impulse said:

E-Bikes were subject to a 60% import duty.  There's a Sino-Thai free trade agreement that's dropped the rate on a lot of products, but I'm not sure about e-bikes (I have 3 in Bangkok, all bought in Thailand).  Check carefully before you end up with a real surprise.  At the very least, you'll be hit with VAT.

In addition, you'd be wise to check on the procedure to import them in bulk without having an import license, WP and a registered business.  It's one thing to buy one from China on AliExpress or Lazada for personal use.  Another thing completely to buy enough that an intent for resale is obvious- even if it's just to your friends.

One more caveat, the batteries in most e-bikes and e-scooters will only put out about 10 amps without damaging (or at least quickly draining and overheating) the battery.  That means around 480 watts for a 48 volt motor.  They'll gladly sell you a 1000 watt unit for 48 volts, but you'll wear down the battery pretty quickly.  High end scooters in China are going to 60 and 72 volts.  (I also have 3 e-bikes and scooters at my home in China, all 48V and all 350-500 watt).  350 watts is barely adequate.  My 500 watt Niu U1 Sport is just about the right balance. 

The 250 watt units sold in Thailand are okay for going for groceries, but not so fun for bopping around on BKK streets. 

hi, i told him i had no experience or expertise on custom whatsoever

and wanted them to take care of it all, so the deal is they take care of everything and i get the bike to my room,

and that is why the price bumped from $680 to $1280

just like that

i have no intention of roaming around on sukumvit, i just want the torque to get out of trouble, and save myself a heart attack if i get forced to paddle just coz it got uphill pratamnak

question: do you know anything about this particular model ?

i'm 1.95 meter / 6'4 and worry if i will fit on it ?

and another question: do you think i should go

for it ? i'm not sure if its comfortable,

but otoh i am really uncomfortable with police harassing me on combustion bikes

Edited by poanoi

hi, i told him i had no experience or expertise on custom whatsoever and wanted them to take care of it all, so the deal is they take care of everything and i get the bike to my room, and that is why the price bumped from $680 to $1280

just like that

i have no intention of roaming around on sukumvit, i just want the torque to get out of trouble, and save myself a heart attack if i get forced to paddle just coz it got uphill pratamnak

question: do you know anything about this particular model ?

i'm 1.95 meter / 6'4 and worry if i will fit on it ?

and another question: do you think i should go

for it ? i'm not sure if its comfortable,

but otoh i am really uncomfortable with police harassing me on combustion bikes

You'll find that with a bike like this the gear on the bike will not be great, brakes, gears etc In addition, this bike has a hub motor, you'd be much, much better off with something like a bafang BBSHD mid drive motor since it will then be geared whereas the hub motor is not.

I built a full size fat bike with a 1.5kW hub motor with a 20ah 52V battery a couple of years ago.

The bike was huge fun and had a range of about 60 or 70km from memory.

I sold it with the intention of building another one with a mid drive, but never got round to doing it.

In my experience, you'd be better off finding a decent donor bike and then just buying the bits you need.

The batteries and the controller need careful consideration, especially when thinking about peak output.

My bike could easily get up all of the hills locally, but as I said, the mid drive is by far the better bet.

As far as prices go, a decent battery pack and the BBSHD kit will cost ~ 50K and then of course you have the cost of the bike.

In no way do the costs stack up against a small motorbike, but I totally understand why you might be keen on an ebike.

Personally, I think the current prices are crazy when you consider you can get a Tesla model 3 for about $30K after government rebate. They should be a quarter of their current price I think, but watch this space considering that there are possibly exciting developments with solid state batteries allegedly just around the corner which should improve power density, charge times and safety considerably.

Just look at the current development by most major car manufacturers to see which way we are heading.

51 minutes ago, BaldPlumber said:

You'll find that with a bike like this the gear on the bike will not be great, brakes, gears etc In addition, this bike has a hub motor, you'd be much, much better off with something like a bafang BBSHD mid drive motor since it will then be geared whereas the hub motor is not.

I built a full size fat bike with a 1.5kW hub motor with a 20ah 52V battery a couple of years ago.

The bike was huge fun and had a range of about 60 or 70km from memory.

I sold it with the intention of building another one with a mid drive, but never got round to doing it.

In my experience, you'd be better off finding a decent donor bike and then just buying the bits you need.

The batteries and the controller need careful consideration, especially when thinking about peak output.

My bike could easily get up all of the hills locally, but as I said, the mid drive is by far the better bet.

As far as prices go, a decent battery pack and the BBSHD kit will cost ~ 50K and then of course you have the cost of the bike.

In no way do the costs stack up against a small motorbike, but I totally understand why you might be keen on an ebike.

Personally, I think the current prices are crazy when you consider you can get a Tesla model 3 for about $30K after government rebate. They should be a quarter of their current price I think, but watch this space considering that there are possibly exciting developments with solid state batteries allegedly just around the corner which should improve power density, charge times and safety considerably.

Just look at the current development by most major car manufacturers to see which way we are heading.

hello, i got a question now:

when i google the bafang engine i came across a comment

that 750 W is max for roads something, does that mean anything above and

i need driving license/helmet/be sober/etc/exposed to police extortion in any shape or form ?

i agree an ebike adoption at this stage is economic madness,

but i am truly done with thai police harassment.

the other selling point for me with this particular bike is that its foldable, i think that will be handy at times

how much of a pain is it to not have bafang ?

i really only intend to drive slowly past police checks while giving them the finger on my way to supermarkets, and the only need for power will be

a short acceleration at crossings to stay out of trouble,

and besides, i reckon i can swap the engine for a bafang

when the current fail a couple of years from now.

i also assume i can just upgrade to a better battery when they get for sale

that brings up another question: is there any ebike mechanics around in pattaya ?

Edited by poanoi

On 31/3/2018 at 4:34 PM, poanoi said:

So: the cost for it, a 1000 W engine 48 V foldable ebike is just over 40k,

but bought in bulk of 10 the price comes to around 26k,

any other 9 takers here ?

I would eventually take one, but I have to be sure that no driver license is necessary and services are available in Pattaya...

7 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

I would eventually take one, but I have to be sure that no driver license is necessary and services are available in Pattaya...

yes, i hope someone can clarify the issue of driving license,

or i have zero reason to ever think about an Ebike !

Panic !

i inquired about a bafang 750 W engine,

and here's the reply:

"If you need bafang 750W motor, extra 35$ is necessary, but its max speed is only 32KM/H. Lead time for 1pcs order is about 30 days, pls consider. "

<deleted> ?!? someone can probably RUN faster than 32 km/h,

and why is the much girthed up bafang engine shittier than hub brush anyway ?

i really want the last word on when engine/speed still count as a bicycle in thailand right now thanks

Edited by poanoi

more info & disinfo to blur the picture just that bit further

Toyotron is Thailand's only Electric Motorbike Factory which produces road registered vehicles.   

In Thailand, 500 watts is the legal power output before registration & insurance is required. 

https://www.electricbikesthailand.com/toyotron/

---------------------------------

By law anything with 2 wheels and an engine is considered a motorbike, back then nobody had an official source that said something else. So you need a motorbike license, insurance, tax and so on...

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/988667-electric-scooters-licence-needed/