Free rides for the elderly on MRT subway trains

snoop1130

blue-line.jpg

The Mass Rapid Transit Authorities of Thailand, operator of the MRT metro rail system, gas announced that it will waive its service fares for passengers aged 60 years and over during Songkran holidays and National Elderly Day on April 13.

The MRT said the free ride will be for both Blue Line and Purple Line throughout the service time from April 13-15.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/free-rides-elderly-mrt-subway-trains/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-3-30

Rather than offer a free ride for the oldies how about offering them a seat. It's like a transitory battleground out there, for young or old, trying to get a seat on a BTS or MRT train. 

Edited by Cadbury
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Rather than offer a free ride for the oldies how about offering them a seat. It's like a transitory battleground out there, for young or old, trying to get a seat on a BTS or MRT train. 

I almost just choose to stand now. Unless the seat is right in the middle of the row, those are the good ones. If you’re on the edge invariably there’s gonna be someone come on who stands by you and acts like they’re about to fall over if you don’t give them your seat. 

Im not complaining I just think it’s funny. 

8 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

"...someone come on who stands by you and acts like they’re about to fall over if you don’t give them your seat". 

I always try that trick you suggest on the smoke belching Bangkok buses but the young ones skillfully avoid eye contact with a farang and stay implanted in their seats. 

I suggest you do the same with the Thai on the trains.

I have a tactic on the Sukhumvit BTS line. I rarely get off at Siam; I usually go further to Mo Chit. So if I get on prior to Siam I jostle my way into the centre of the carriage and wait for the mass exodus at Siam. Then there are seats aplenty for the rest of the journey. So long as you are quick!

11 hours ago, Cadbury said:

I always try that trick you suggest on the smoke belching Bangkok buses but the young ones skillfully avoid eye contact with a farang and stay implanted in their seats. 

I suggest you do the same with the Thai on the trains.

I have a tactic on the Sukhumvit BTS line. I rarely get off at Siam; I usually go further to Mo Chit. So if I get on prior to Siam I jostle my way into the centre of the carriage and wait for the mass exodus at Siam. Then there are seats aplenty for the rest of the journey. So long as you are quick!

The young ones will have heads down .... buried in their phones!!

My guess is the MRT will restrict this offer to Thai citizens. While the MRT does sell "elderly" discount fare cards to  foreigners, I can't see them giving us a free ride. The report also notes the passenger needs to show their ID card.

. . . Elderly passengers only show up at the station’s ticketing room with their identification cards . . .

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Sad 1

Why do they say Subway Trains and picture is the Sky Train???? Which is it? Why do they call the raised area where people walk along the roads a SideWalk and the Motor Scooters seem to have taken over them, it's not a Scooter Road, Which is it? Why do they want to outlaw people riding in the back of pickups, when I saw three cops pickup a homeless man this week, two of the cops got in the back of the pickup with the homeless man and took him away?? No wonder no one knows what is what or what to do or not to do around here! I think the age is to high, in the USA McDonald's coffee is discounted if age 52.....

• Sad 1

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, Cadbury said:

My my, who would have thought it? Seats being difficult to find on a public transport system in one of the world's busiest cities.

Never ceased to amaze me when I visited New York or lived in London how every train ( in the respective city's transit system ) always had loads of spare seats.

Yet again a branch of govt is introducing something positive and we have people sneering and denigrating. Then again if getting through the day means bagging the country that has allowed you to settle in it well my condolences to such individuals.

Well done Thailand again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

My my, who would have thought it? Seats being difficult to find on a public transport system in one of the world's busiest cities.

Never ceased to amaze me when I visited New York or lived in London how every train ( in the respective city's transit system ) always had loads of spare seats.

Yet again a branch of govt is introducing something positive and we have people sneering and denigrating. Then again if getting through the day means bagging the country that has allowed you to settle in it well my condolences to such individuals.

Well done Thailand again!

Well said but you'll now be on a lot of the Thaivisa Thai-bashers hate lists!  Welcome!

14 hours ago, jmacken306 said:

Why do they say Subway Trains and picture is the Sky Train???? Which is it?

It's the Blue Line extension Bang Sue to Tao Poon in the picture. Do you really think BTS would emblazon "Happy Blue Line" on one of their trains?

I would hope that they would set the fare for the "Senior" MRT+ card to zero for all (there's no indication of nationality on the card).

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, Cadbury said:

One thing that has always annoyed me in Bkk is parents that let their young children sit in a seat on the transport while other adults stand. They could easily hold the child on their lap.

Extremely selfish.