Bottled water makers welcome cap seal ban

rooster59

42 minutes ago, billd766 said:

When I were a lad in the UK during the 1950's there were no plastic bottles but all the glass pop and beer bottles had a deposit on them. We used to collect them and take them back. Sometimes we would sneak into the back yard of the pub, pinch a few and sell them back. Master criminals we were then.

In Germany in the 1970's the supermarkets would charge a deposit on bottles and crates which you got back on returning them. I was honest by then.

In Thailand now I just collect all the glass and plastic bottles, paper, cardboard etc and a scavenger comes about once a month to take it away. I generally make 40 or 50 baht this way.

Mrs Fantom and I along with many others do the same, but where does all this plastic eventually end up? As the previous poster asked. Certainly some of the plastic bottles your scavenger collects may well be part of those I saw. See post 22

Many of us were shocked to discover that much of the stuff we all so nobly placed into our recycle bin in Australia and UK was actually packed off to China and we only discovered this when the Chinese called a stop to it. I think the question 'where does it end up' is the $64,000 question. Recycling seems to be just a weasel word that really means 'transferring.'

IMG_20180317_102105.jpg

Edited by fantom
Where recycled bottles go

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

When I were a lad in the UK during the 1950's there were no plastic bottles but all the glass pop and beer bottles had a deposit on them. We used to collect them and take them back. Sometimes we would sneak into the back yard of the pub, pinch a few and sell them back. Master criminals we were then.

In Germany in the 1970's the supermarkets would charge a deposit on bottles and crates which you got back on returning them. I was honest by then.

In Thailand now I just collect all the glass and plastic bottles, paper, cardboard etc and a scavenger comes about once a month to take it away. I generally make 40 or 50 baht this way.

My mates and I recycled many a bottle from the shop keepers back  yard and resold them in the shop.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Three of us on single journey tickets

They are reused until worn out, The gate keeps them when you leave the BTS station and then they put them back in the ticket vending machines. They work with a tiny RFID chip.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fantom said:

Recently on a visit to a home stay at a large sea water estuary near Chantaburi, as we traveled by long tail to our destination, we passed massed fields of floating tethered plastic bottles used as floats for what I was told were oyster growing tethers.There were many rafts of thousands of these in what can only be described as fields.  These were used water and other similar bottles.

I had a number of thoughts about this. firstly the oysters, filter feeders, are feeding in a gentle cascade of disintegrating plastic bottle, and also wondering what happened  to all of those thousands of bottles when they finally sank.

I used to enjoy the occasional oyster.

I wouldn't worry that much over those bottles. they are collected again. I might be wrong but I believe The oysters does not get feed inside the bottle, they are on the outside, and if a bottle get punctured and sink its connected with a sting so the can get the oysters from it.

2 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

I wouldn't worry that much over those bottles. they are collected again. I might be wrong but I believe The oysters does not get feed inside the bottle, they are on the outside, and if a bottle get punctured and sink its connected with a sting so the can get the oysters from it.

The practice of oyster farming in this type of esturine environment  is to suspend a rope or similar into the water and attach the juvenile oysters to it. Later the adult oysters are removed. My point is that in this case the rope is suspended from thousands of old water bottles and the oysters are potentially exposed to a range of contaminants drifting down from the plastic bottles as they degrade.

Of course they are not inside the bottles. I suspect the seafloor under these oyster farms is littered with plastic from these bottles as they disintegrate.

4 hours ago, fantom said:

The practice of oyster farming in this type of esturine environment  is to suspend a rope or similar into the water and attach the juvenile oysters to it. Later the adult oysters are removed. My point is that in this case the rope is suspended from thousands of old water bottles and the oysters are potentially exposed to a range of contaminants drifting down from the plastic bottles as they degrade.

Of course they are not inside the bottles. I suspect the seafloor under these oyster farms is littered with plastic from these bottles as they disintegrate.

Ok, Good, just hope they replace the "old" water bottle with a newer one then, and sell the old bottle back to the scavenger. Then they earn some money from that also.

I dont know how to to breed oysters, but I have seen how they breed salmon in Sweden and Norway, Big tank, and squeeze the eggs out of the female and then they "milk" out of the male in a tank... blend... then many many new salmons in a tank of river water.