HUAWEI Y9 2018

wgdanson

Went to Tesco in Phitsanulok yesterday and was quoted Bht 9900 for this phone but was immediately dropped to Bht 6990 after shock on my face. But reading the review I read.......

I tested its connection speed with Ookla speedtest app and found that it achieved a connection speed of 55.8 Mbps and upload speed of 32 Mbps. Surely those speeds depend on who you are connecting with. If you put Bht 14 with AIS, you get 24 hours 4G connection at 548 KBPS for 200mB, then it is down to 16 KBPS. Can anyone explain please.

Huawei Y9 2018

That's what is called 'Promotion'! Think about: a 16Kbps is even less then a Dialup connection (56Kbps) of the old days.

Another thing is, in 4G both are counted as data: call and Internet!! How fast the 200 MB will be used?! If you bought that SIM already, try to set the phone to 3G (22-42Mbps down) which will exclude calls from Data-counting. Or, at least set 4G for DATA only, exclude calls. 

The price for that phone (6990) looks OK while 9900 is too high. 

1 hour ago, ArnonK said:

That's what is called 'Promotion'! Think about: a 16Kbps is even less then a Dialup connection (56Kbps) of the old days.

Another thing is, in 4G both are counted as data: call and Internet!! How fast the 200 MB will be used?! If you bought that SIM already, try to set the phone to 3G (22-42Mbps down) which will exclude calls from Data-counting. Or, at least set 4G for DATA only, exclude calls. 

The price for that phone (6990) looks OK while 9900 is too high. 

Thanks for the info. I found this interesting article......

4G (4G LTE) is the fastest speed that’s widely available in the UK right now. It offers typical download speeds of around 20Mbps and theoretical ones of 150Mbps. So for example you could download a medium sized app in under 15 seconds or load a YouTube video in under 2 seconds. The same 500MB file should be downloadable in under 4 minutes.

4G boosts upload speeds to 8Mbps on average and 50Mbps at the very top end. The same 10MB file or image would take just 1.25 seconds to download.

4G LTE-Advanced is a faster version of 4G with typical real-world download speeds of 42Mbps and theoretical limits of 300Mbps. EE has launched this service in London, Birmingham and Manchester under the name 4G+, while Vodafone has rolled it out to London, Birmingham and Manchester. With LTE-Advanced (also known as 4G+, LTE-A or 4.5G) videos will load without a discernible pause and a 500MB file will download in under 2 minutes. In fact, it’s even faster than many home broadband connections.

4G LTE-Advanced offers upload speeds of 30Mbps and can theoretically reach 150Mbps. In this case the same 10MB file or image would take just 0.33 seconds to download.

On 4/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, ArnonK said:

VoLTE does utilize data over the 4G network but it isn't deducted from your data package.

Also it isn't possible (or desirable) to use both 3G and 4G radios simultaneously unless you have 2 SIM cards with separate connections.

There are AIS packages where the maximum speed is throttled but then the amount of data used in the specified period is unlimited e.g.: http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

But there are other packages where the speed is not throttled. Rather the maximum amount of data for the specified period is capped e.g. If you buy a 24 hour/200MB 4G package from AIS it costs THB15 and will connect at whatever maximum speed the base station can deliver. http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/maxspeed.html

The MSRP on the Y9 shows as 6,990, with some dealers as low as 6,690.

Any authorized Huawei shop should sell this model for 6,990. Suspect the quoted higher price was possibly for the P9+, so maybe some confusion?

Some providers, incl. AIS, do have a promotion on the Huawei Y9 for 4,990, but you need to sign up for a qualifying post-paid plan to get that price.

https://store.ais.co.th/en/mobile-phone/huawei-y9.html

At any moment in time any provider here might have ~ 100-ish active pre-paid promotions, and since most previous promotions are maintained there may be thousands on-going?

About the only similar one I can find (AIS- One-Time Hot Pack) is a one-time (non-recurring), one day (24 hours), 15 baht (excl. VAT), 300 MB (volume) at a max of 512 Kbps, after you reach 300 MB (up and down) you can continue usage but at a max. rate of 64 Kbps (Although the terms also say, "Excess usage will be calculated at the rate of your main package.", which is a bit confusing.)

I think LTE can run up to a max. of 450 Mbps with 3CA, and 300 Mbps with 2CA. But I'm not sure any/all providers have the spectrum for the wide-spread use of CA, so we may be capped out at 150 Mbps. I routinely hit 95-105 Mbps on DTAC.

VoLTE seems to work provided both parties (calling, called) are on the same provider's network, have capable handsets (which are so registered) and have 4G coverage. Otherwise, both parties fall back to 3G for a voice call.

Edited by mtls2005