Clutch Cable Warning on the Thai CBR250

Just a heads up on the way the clutch cable behaves on this Thai built bike, it might save you ploughing into traffic.

I like my clutch to bite quite quickly, the CBR is factory set to bite quite late. After some adjustment I got it into a sweet spot for me.

All was working OK until yesterday when I decided to try to move the clutch lever position, by moving the assembly towards the left grip and raising it a little.

All of the other clutch adjustments were fine, the handlebar adjusters were set in a central position and the main adjustment at the cable connection near the clutch actuator was fine, I leave a fair bit of slack.

I was out on the bike and pulled up at a U turn and put on full right lock, when the road was clear I went to pull out. I was quite surprised to find I had to let the clutch out almost all of the way before it even began to bite, but the biggest shock came as I came out of the U turn slipping the clutch, as the handlebars straightened the clutch suddenly bit and almost threw me off the bike.

When I got home I checked it over and found that when you engage full lock to the right, the bike is actually pulling on the clutch cable by about 3 mm. enough to disengage it.

It did not matter what adjustments I made either at the bars or near the clutch mechanism, it still began to engage the clutch on full lock.

I went back and moved the clutch lever to its original position and it solved the problem as far as pulling on the cable on full lock, but the problem is still there, you can see the inner cable taking up the slack as you lock the bars to the right.

Scary shit when you are making a turn and the bike tries to run away with you.

Anyone else noticed this and is there a better remedy? Is it the clutch cable routing?

I once saw a youtube video regarding the adjustment of the throttle on a motorbike. He gave the warning to make sure it's not too tight and the the engine is in idle even if fully turning the handle bar, so you don't have a surprise later. Sounds similar to what you experienced with the clutch. So i would assume that on some motorbikes that's normal and you better try if it's working as expected when fully turning the handle bar.