Buying a "second" Hand Car - Recommandations ?

4jasmin

3 hours ago, transam said:

MOT nooooo ploblem...

I wasn't paying much attention but  believe it did have a Tax sticker for this year..how on earth he managed that I don't know cause the car hasn't moved for more than a year !!!!

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2018 at 1:59 PM, gaviolit said:

Hi, I sell used cars and I consider myself a connoisseur of the industry, first thing to know when buying a used car in Thailand is that the value here is much higher  than in Western countries, if a car of 15/20 in Europe / West is to be scrapped, here is a price and is not low. This is good, not just bad, because even when selling lost value it is never too much. Second thing to keep in mind, jap cars are worth more (in relation of course) because they are easily repairable (Toyota and Honda better) and by all the mechanics around the Thai and cheap. Third factor, the mileage and the number of owners, which greatly affects the purchase of cars used in the West, here is irrelevant, and in my opinion rightly (a car may have been mistreated by 1 owner or have been held maniacally by 5 ), I give you an example, for my wife I found a soluna with 18 years and three owners (women) with 67,000 km original, the car is like new! (I know what I buy). I do not agree with those who advise you to buy ex taxi, leave it alone, except that the booklet is indicated and very few thai will want them (and there will be a reason if they do not want them either) are cars broken, with over millions of km they will need continuous repairs, for sure.

Regarding the auctions, ... what to say, probably those who have suggested there has never been, apart from the necessary knowledge of the Thai language, are crowded with traders, prices are often higher than those of individuals who sell, for the simple reason that traders do not earn on the sale, but on the financing they make, moreover they can not be tested.

Finally a suggestion, for the price you are looking for, you can also find good cars but over 20 years, with automatic transmission they cost more and more, depending on what you need. Mazda is good in the latest version, the 323 was built on a laser ford base, leave it alone. Nissan sunny always has problems with the engine supports and the electric system, they cost less than Honda and Toyota but the parts are harder to find (for cars over twenty years). In conclusion, it will not be difficult for you to find cars at that price but you will have to settle for a lot and you will have to be lucky to find one that will not always take you to the mechanic.

sorry for poor english 

Very well said ... do you happen to know anything about a 1998 Kia Sportage? I have heard good things but know little about the Kia personally. A good indicator for older cars is usually how many of them do you see on the road? This method always tells the true story of a model. I have seen several but never talked with anyone who owns one. Any knowledgeable advice from you sir  or anyone with first hand experience is appreciated.