People urged to wear retro-Thai costumes during Songkran festival

webfact

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I must confess it would be really nice to see Songkran celebrated in the traditional way with none of the chaos and carnage.. 

But it would also be nice to see a flying elephant, dressed in a pink tutu, playing Beethoven's symphony no 9 on a Lego harpsichord.

Give him a bell on the Thai Niyom hotline - they tell me he will do everything he can to help.....

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

..and farangs hadn't been invented yet.

I believe it had, dates back to the Persian traders or something, it modern Thai it means French i think, so to the Thai we are all French FWIW!

Edited by maxcorrigan
more info

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

I believe it had, dates back to the Persian traders or something, it modern Thai it means French i think, so to the Thai we are all French FWIW!

The French were here back in the 1600s and they kicked Siam's butt in the 1800s.  So much for Thailand having never being 'conquered' by an outside power.  Sure it has.  They simply capitulated to both the French and the Japanese.  :thumbsup:  But 'farang' have been around for quite awhile.  But given the history perspective, one can gather why all 'farangs' are now suspect and held at arm's length. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

The French were here back in the 1600s and they kicked Siam's butt in the 1800s.  So much for Thailand having never being 'conquered' by an outside power.  Sure it has.  They simply capitulated to both the French and the Japanese.  :thumbsup:  But 'farang' have been around for quite awhile.  But given the history perspective, one can gather why all 'farangs' are now suspect and held at arm's length. 

Yes.I agree and your post provides much food for thought,

44 minutes ago, connda said:

The French never conquered Siam. all they did was get back Laos and parts of Cambodia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France–Thailand_relations 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

The French never conquered Siam. all they did was get back Laos and parts of Cambodia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France–Thailand_relations 

Not entirely.They got a 10 kilometre stretch on the western side of the Mekong.

And got some sort of compensation for all the argy-bargy.

The British and French sort of settled for Siam as a neutral zone.The British did not really mind this because Bangkok was an almost non-existent port and did not interfere with their main trade route which was Suez-Bombay-Madras-Calcutta-Rangoon-Penang-Singapore and Hong Kong.

Not to forget the "branch line" to the Antipodes.

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Not entirely.They got a 10 kilometre stretch on the western side of the Mekong.

And got some sort of compensation for all the argy-bargy.

The British and French sort of settled for Siam as a neutral zone.The British did not really mind this because Bangkok was an almost non-existent port and did not interfere with their main trade route which was Suez-Bombay-Madras-Calcutta-Rangoon-Penang-Singapore and Hong Kong.

Not to forget the "branch line" to the Antipodes.

Hardly conquering Siam though was it!

• Like 1

Just now, bannork said:

Hardly conquering Siam though was it!

I am not disagreeing with you Bannork.

One of the most interesting things about the situation was that Siam was of much more value to the two colonial empires as a neutral then a region to be fought over.

And quite so..the British would not have been able to  defend Thailand in 1942,just as the French were not able to to hold Laos and Cambodia in '52-54.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

No,I don''t think so.

They had their Sunday best just as Welsh miners had.

Do not treat these people with disrespect.

Educate yourself then. It is you who shows disrespect to the Thai people because you are ignorant of their history and their struggles and the advances made. Those advances came with some national sacrifice.

Until the mid 1800's, the life of the Thai peasant was similar to that of a serf in the 1200's of Europe. That's when the concept of land ownership as we know it, started to be applied with the introduction of the chanote. Learn about the concept of nai/phrai and what it meant. Until King Rama V, all land belonged to the King. There is a reason why the Chakri  Reformation was so important to the nation of Thailand and why Rama V is so revered.

Are you even aware that as recently as 1986,  2/3rds of Thailand lived below the poverty line? The Thaksin era was a  turning point and it coincided with a time when poverty rates  fell dramatically. Today, about 11% live below the poverty line with another 10% or so just above it. The people you claim had money for their "Sunday best" barely had enough to feed their families let alone clothe themselves. The historical garb of Thailand's poor who were the vast majority of the country's population  until very recently was nothing like the imitation silk colourful polyester blend outfits. Few people could afford silk garments. It's high time foreigners like you were obliged to take a course in the history of Thailand before  being allowed to stay. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Culture jointly launched a campaign promoting the wearing of Thai costumes while celebrating the upcoming Songkran festival

This week has been a bountiful week of news where the junta has constantly made fools of themselves.

Presenting themselves as complete idiots seems to be their modus operandi for running the country. And they are so disillusioned they imagine themselves as saviours.The people are laughing and have good reason to be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The outfits everyone assumes  are period costumes are a fiction. The majority of Thais wore clothes that were dirty and  well worn because they were dirt poor peasants. Only the wealthy had the beautiful Chut Thai. Having  foreigners dress up in Thai outfits is an insult in the making. The  traditional outfits do not go well with scooters.

Excellent comment.

Lots of dirt poor peasants, but they were the lucky ones.

The unlucky ones the slaves.

The process of freeing slaves began in 1874, it was progressive.  The total emancipation was in 1915.

So I think the dirt poor peasants had an edge on the dirt poor peasant slaves.  Definitely not Chut Thai and certainly rags all around.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-history-of-slavery-in-Thailand

Edited by Juan B Tong

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

If i wear a thai costume, speak thai and walk like a thai, will i get to live

in peace in this country like a thai? and without worrying about Visas,

90 days, permits etc.etc.?.... 

No. You'll still be inside the costume.

People urged to wear retro-Thai costumes during Songkran festival

PNECO610403001002001.jpg.4cc13cb8788462a95b8c87e3c2a26fb1.jpg

BANGKOK, 4 April 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Culture are encouraging the people and foreign visitors to Thailand to wear retro-Thai costumes during Songkran festival. 

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Culture jointly launched a campaign promoting the wearing of Thai costumes while celebrating the upcoming Songkran festival. 

Tourism and Sports Minister Wirasak Kowsoorad said the campaign promotes the Thai people who travel to their home provinces during Songkran festival to wear retro- Thai costumes, making the atmosphere of the festival more beautiful. 

In addition, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports will organize Water Festival 2018 in various locations across the country during 13-15 April 2018. 

He said Thailand will host Sport Accord Convention 2018 during 15-20 April 2018, bringing together some 5,000 members of 100 sports associations to help boost the economy of tourism sector, and generate incomes to local villagers. 

The Sport Accord Convention 2018 will lead to the improvement to sports associations, promoting the roles of the Thai people in international sports associations, and exhibiting Thailand's readiness to host regional offices of international sports federations in the future.
  nnt_logo.jpg&key=2d687e9357a7b4c0eb40db2208057b9f2995e35b1db596a8797260e94eb4eaff -- nnt 2018-04-04
Why? The costumes will only get wet!

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Educate yourself then. It is you who shows disrespect to the Thai people because you are ignorant of their history and their struggles and the advances made. Those advances came with some national sacrifice.

Until the mid 1800's, the life of the Thai peasant was similar to that of a serf in the 1200's of Europe. That's when the concept of land ownership as we know it, started to be applied with the introduction of the chanote. Learn about the concept of nai/phrai and what it meant. Until King Rama V, all land belonged to the King. There is a reason why the Chakri  Reformation was so important to the nation of Thailand and why Rama V is so revered.

Are you even aware that as recently as 1986,  2/3rds of Thailand lived below the poverty line? The Thaksin era was a  turning point and it coincided with a time when poverty rates  fell dramatically. Today, about 11% live below the poverty line with another 10% or so just above it. The people you claim had money for their "Sunday best" barely had enough to feed their families let alone clothe themselves. The historical garb of Thailand's poor who were the vast majority of the country's population  until very recently was nothing like the imitation silk colourful polyester blend outfits. Few people could afford silk garments. It's high time foreigners like you were obliged to take a course in the history of Thailand before  being allowed to stay. 

It is high time that you ceased making assumptions about me-my knowledge about SE Asia or otherwise-and attend to your own hectoring offensiveness.

Photos of my own Thai family-what you would call a landed peasantry-from 50 60 years ago show them quite clearly dressed in a relatively formal outfit.

None of which were polyester florals.

Nor were many of the European peasantry of the 12th century merely dressed in rags-tho' 

Hollywood would have it so.

Edited by Odysseus123

1 minute ago, The manic said:

Me too. Its beautiful. This is The King Narai Festival in Lopburi. In my compound in the ME the Thai wives donned their traditional  clothing periodically...why not...They are lovely 

20180404_141039.jpg

This is the current Songkran attire in Pattaya..great stuff..

On Wednesday, April 04, 2018 at 7:49 PM, geriatrickid said:

The problem with your closing sentiment, of course, would be: what history?

The official, rose tinted one?

Because I really doubt, anyone here would teach any foreigner (or Thai, for that matter) accurate history!

• Like 2

On 4/4/2018 at 8:59 AM, geriatrickid said:

It is why Bangkok was repeatedly bombed by the RAF and USAAF. 

True but then you forget that Japan bombed Bangkok, and they did it first.  For example, the Golden Palace was hit by one of their devices.  I do have to ask though, as I am not Thai and have no Thai clothes, can wear my Plus Fours like the person who said he would tuck his trousers into his socks.

Edited by wotsdermatter

On 4/4/2018 at 9:59 AM, ezzra said:

If i wear a thai costume, speak thai and walk like a thai, will i get to live

in peace in this country like a thai? and without worrying about Visas,

90 days, permits etc.etc.?.... 

You need to do one more thing, go to hospital and get your dick downsize because Thai don't have big dick like Farang, so get it done shorter if not smaller.