Speed limits in and outside urban area under change to curb traffic fatalities and facilitate driving

webfact

13 hours ago, runamok27 said:

It isn’t speed that kills it’s the difference in speed of the different vehicles on any particular road that kills. If all of the vehicles on any road are going about the same speed it will be a safe road. Given that, I have never seen roads where vehicles were going such different speeds, like in Thailand. The speed differences on Thailand roads is incredible, which explains alll of the road deaths. Also, with, like, 70% plus of the road deaths being motorcyclists, maybe Thailand’s roads aren’t so dangerous after all, as long as you are not on a motorbike.

Also the Road Design.  The U-Turns on High speed roads requiring people cross lanes of high speed traffic.  Why not have a u-turn spot that allows the traffic to get back up to speed before merging back into traffic?

Road design in Thailand is actually very lacking.  Tons of intersections where all the crashes and fatal crashes happen at.  So many simple things could be done but all these farang yelling away about "Enforce the law" as if that can somehow make up for poor road engineering and design...

On 4/5/2018 at 4:23 PM, Lobber said:

Lane discipline  and thoughtful driving is whats needed. Are there these many deaths in Europe where there are no speed limits in some areas.

Just teach the <deleted> to drive properly

I think it is as simple as they drive in a bubble of me me me and no consideration to other road users.

As to raising the speed limit I was thinking  near me it needs to be lowered and policed as the highway enters a built up area and there are dangerous U-Turns. Also that the bigger heavier vehicles are going too fast.

Frankly, I don't think there will be much difference as 120 seems to be the "normal" target speed on main highways as it is now. 

Larger problem IMV is the substandard engineering, construction and maintenance of the roads here.  These horrendous highway median U-turns really need to go.

Engineering, Education and Enforcement.  The Three "E"s.  Thailand has a lot of room to improve in each one of those pillars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilverBeast said:

Also the Road Design.  The U-Turns on High speed roads requiring people cross lanes of high speed traffic.  Why not have a u-turn spot that allows the traffic to get back up to speed before merging back into traffic?

Road design in Thailand is actually very lacking.  Tons of intersections where all the crashes and fatal crashes happen at.  So many simple things could be done but all these farang yelling away about "Enforce the law" as if that can somehow make up for poor road engineering and design...

Yes but first drivers need to learn what a merging lane is for.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Genmai said:

Just raise the limit to 300 km/h and have everybody kill themselves - problem solved. TAT can even spin it as "the most exhilarating road experience in the world"! I'm living in a circus.

I love it! LOC ....

Land of Circus!

Before they do that they need to A: install speed signs. B: Enforce road laws. C: have more police patrolling the roads. You can drive many kilometres without seeing a single speed sign. I have asked many Thais what the speed limit is on open highways and I've had answers ranging from 90 to 120 KPH with most saying not sure. In my ignorance I used 100kph on highways and saw most vehicles pass me. I have asked mini bus drivers to slow down when they were doing anything between 120 to 130 kph. Increasing the limit to 110kph will translate to 140 -150 kph in Thai.

On 4/5/2018 at 3:03 PM, 4evermaat said:

Slower traffic keep left.

Higher speeds on expressways, and lower speed in higher density areas.

Honestly though, more air con transportation or even open air to curb individual car use would be great.

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I agree wholeheartedly in slow traffic keeping left. But I cannot understand your meaning of the last statement???

I believe increasing speed limit on highways is prudent. One seldom sees accidents blamed on slow vehicles in the fast lane.  Also make and enforce laws requiring slow traffic to stay left. I remember when I was in Germany many years ago, that was the case (except instead of slow to left it was slow to right) 

20 hours ago, runamok27 said:

It isn’t speed that kills it’s the difference in speed of the different vehicles on any particular road that kills. If all of the vehicles on any road are going about the same speed it will be a safe road. Given that, I have never seen roads where vehicles were going such different speeds, like in Thailand. The speed differences on Thailand roads is incredible, which explains alll of the road deaths. Also, with, like, 70% plus of the road deaths being motorcyclists, maybe Thailand’s roads aren’t so dangerous after all, as long as you are not on a motorbike.

You're quite right with the first 5 words.....it's not speed that kills....it's the sudden impact with the rear of a truck !

11 minutes ago, essox essox said:

SPEED KILLS SLOW down are signs on UK motorways....THIS IS  VERY TRUE so why here INCREASE the speed limits???

The speed limit on the Tollway and Urban Expressways is 80kmh (50mph) where traffic can easily and safely travel at 120 kmh (74mph), conversely the speed limit along Sukhumvit Road in central Bangkok is 80kmh (50mph) which does seem very high and a safer 50kmh (30mph) limit would make a lot of sense. 

The proposed adjustment would seem to match the speed limits applied in many Western countries and makes plenty of sense. 

14 hours ago, SilverBeast said:

Differences in speed cause differences in traffic flow and that is a problem.  A group all moving 110km/h together is much safer then a road where some traffic is going 40km/h and some is going 130km/h.

That might be valid in countries where they have standard driving lessons before obtaining a license. Certainly, used this method in the UK years back but that is not the issue in Thailand.

• Like 1

Drove from Bangkok on the 4 lane motorway to Chonburi this morning, this is a 120 km road, in the right fast lane cars driving in 80-90 blocked the faster ones, the fastest lane was actually the left one.  With no driving discipline it doesn't matter what speed limits or rules they came up with, yesterday I almost crashed in to a police crossing on a red light on the main road from the south to Bangkok, and it was like 5-8 seconds after I got a green light! 

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo

Raising the speed limit to make the roads safer is the same as "Killing for Peace"  :cheesy:   Boy am I happy I don't drive much anymore, I have a small truck and a motorcycle, and still take public transportation, and fly or take a train often.

• Haha 1

Just more B/S from dumb officials that don't do their jobs.

Change the speed limits etc, but never enforce the law, what is the point?

:burp:

What is even more annoying is that a change in the law requires government approval, yet these edicts are proclaimed without sanction.

:saai:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

A lot of knee jerk reaction comments on this thread. Very few people actually commented on the reasoning behind this.

The difference between speeds of various vehicles is actually a more serious problem than the speed itself. The safest speed to drive is the same speed as everyone else is driving, even if that speed is faster than the posted speed limit. Unfortunately, many don't realize this and insist on driving at 90 when the prevailing traffic is going 120. There is a constant debate in the West, where communities intentionally set the speed too low as a revenue generator. Safety advocates argue that the speed limit needs to be increased, just as Thailand is considering now.

The idea behind raising the speed limit on highways is an acknowledgement that the speed limits are significantly below the real traffic speed, and by raising the legal limit, those people who are currently driving too slow (the limit) and causing a traffic hazard will likely speed up and match the traffic flow.  

Of course, while this may have a small effect and is likely a good idea in many cases,  the real problem is inadequate enforcement of all the other rules of the road. Unless the police start to take enforcement seriously and actually patrol the streets and pull people over rather than setting up road blocks to collect money with the least effort, the situation will never improve.

Overall, this plan is a good idea, but it is not sufficient to get Thailand out of the cellar for road deaths.

17 minutes ago, Monomial said:

A lot of knee jerk reaction comments on this thread. Very few people actually commented on the reasoning behind this.

The difference between speeds of various vehicles is actually a more serious problem than the speed itself. The safest speed to drive is the same speed as everyone else is driving, even if that speed is faster than the posted speed limit. Unfortunately, many don't realize this and insist on driving at 90 when the prevailing traffic is going 120. There is a constant debate in the West, where communities intentionally set the speed too low as a revenue generator. Safety advocates argue that the speed limit needs to be increased, just as Thailand is considering now.

The idea behind raising the speed limit on highways is an acknowledgement that the speed limits are significantly below the real traffic speed, and by raising the legal limit, those people who are currently driving too slow (the limit) and causing a traffic hazard will likely speed up and match the traffic flow.  

Of course, while this may have a small effect and is likely a good idea in many cases,  the real problem is inadequate enforcement of all the other rules of the road. Unless the police start to take enforcement seriously and actually patrol the streets and pull people over rather than setting up road blocks to collect money with the least effort, the situation will never improve.

Overall, this plan is a good idea, but it is not sufficient to get Thailand out of the cellar for road deaths.

As I have said before, yes higher speed limits don't have to be dangerous but In Thailand many Thai drivers have had no formal training...as in the bus drivers who know very little about the actual practicalities of a buses critical tilt angle, maintenance and so on. The drivers have to actually care about the potential weapon they have under their control and until that happens in Thailand nothing much will change. Thai drivers can do it they just don't have the inclination or the incentive to do so.

Truly amazing what they can come up with some times.

around 70 a day die on the roads and they think going faster could be the key to solving the problems on the roads.

This deserves a medal, well done, Good job. :stoner:

gold-medal-500x500.jpg

Edited by stanleycoin

16 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Truly amazing what they can come up with some times.

around 70 a day die on the roads and they think going faster could be the key to solving the problems on the roads.

This deserves a medal, well done, Good job. :stoner:

gold-medal-500x500.jpg

I reckon they think if people drove faster they'd get to there destination  quicker therefore they won't be on the road as long

• Haha 2