Case of chinese whispers gone wrong or really they wont put rabid dogs down.

Ok on my girlfriends farm we have two still youngish dogs maybe just closing on a year old now. A few months ago a bitch nearby came into season and boys being boys they went off after her(this is not my farm or how I would do things but Im a visitor here), apparently there were other dogs there and the boys got into a few bad fights, both of them went weak in the hind legs after this but over time both came good(maybe rabies maybe not), one however is now not very well and produces a lot of saliva especially when eating but also at other times, we do have 2 young children who spend time at the farm(only ones who live there full time are the girlfriends parents).

So reason for writing, I have said a few times that the dogs are maybe a ticking time bomb and maybe not worth the risk but so far fell on deaf ears, I like both dogs and have been the one to buy them flea stuff and chewy treats, there was a village meeting this week that the MIL attended about rabid dogs in the area, seems one got away and bit a buffalo, it was said at the meeting that the dogs were not to be put down(this is where the chinese whispers comes in surely) it was said the government has said not to kill them.

It was said also outside the meeting that if you wanted to put them down do it quietly and dont let anyone know, also looking into this apparently you have a hard time getting a vet to do this anyway.

So for now I sit on my hands and dont try and upset the family and just hope that these 2 dogs at least had something else such as cattle ticks.

It could be Chinese whispers in that they’re saying not to go ahead and put stray dogs down randomly.

In Bangkok if one calls in a suspected rabies case they’ll pick up the dog. If positive then they’ll come in and make a sweep over a big radius and round up all dogs and other animals in the area. Only the ones testing negative come back. 

what breed are these 2 dogs one of whom is producing a lot of saliver.one thing you need to do is report it to the dept.of livestock straight away.in the meantime get them vaccinated  with an indate vaccine.

you posted this over 17hrs.ago,have you done anything.

3 hours ago, Crash999 said:

It could be Chinese whispers in that they’re saying not to go ahead and put stray dogs down randomly.

In Bangkok if one calls in a suspected rabies case they’ll pick up the dog. If positive then they’ll come in and make a sweep over a big radius and round up all dogs and other animals in the area. Only the ones testing negative come back. 

They cut off the head and examine the brain to test for rabies. How the hell they put them back on the street when tested negative?

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

They cut off the head and examine the brain to test for rabies. How the hell they put them back on the street when tested negative?

It's called reincarnation.

20 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

The other way is to quarantine the animals for a couple weeks to see if there are any symptoms. 

Have they had any vaccination at all before?

Even if had at least their 2 puppy rabies shots, then find out the company the vaccines came from (ask vet), booster shot the dogs and quarantine them for 45 days. If a dog is vaccinated (even if it has missed years of shots), it is such a low risk to get rabies that the 45 days and booster is merely a formality to be 100% sure. If never vaccinated then vaccinate and quarantine them for 4-6 months. 

Either way vaccinate and quarantine them. 

Yes, no amount of vaccination will help the dog if it has rabies already. It is unknown if the dog has rabies or not, but if a un-vaccinated dog is exposed to a rabid animal it should either be put to sleep or quarantined for 6 months, Obviously it is unknown in this case if exposed to a rabid animal or not, so personally, I would vaccinate the animal before quarantining just to make sure it is vaccinated (unlikely if Thai farm dogs). 

Understandably, many people are on edge lately. A couple of months ago my two dogs killed quite a big stray cat that jumped into our yard. A couple weeks later the Caucasian was acting incredibly aggressive (more than usual) to everyone and everything except household members. Started to cough and breathe a bit heavier than usual. Bloods were all good. I was more thinking/worried about a Bartonella infection due to the trouble breathing and because it was a cat. The Fila a few days later was sneezing and all snotty for about a week. Both dogs cleared up 100% quite quickly, so probably a flu thing in the end.

Naturally, whether rationally or irrationally, the rabies thought crosses your mind here with any potential exposure and then symptoms a few weeks later (even if dog is vaccinated). It put me on enough of an edge to go and vaccinate my eldest child. Now, two dogs down the road have just died of rabies, so I don't regret having her go through the shots. Although it is painful knowing rabies is around, on the plus side at least some sort of herd immunity now exists due to 800 plus dogs being vaccinated within a 3km radius. 

Archived