Multiple entry tourist visa recent changes

Hi,

I've just checked out the METV (6 month) requirements posted on the Sydney Thai Embassy website and there have been significant changes since last year:

1. documented evidence of a bank balance of 200,000 baht

2. return airfare ticket covering the period of stay

These are quite restrictive compared with previous requirements and I am wondering what alternatives there are. For example, is it possible to get extend a 30 day tourist visa (which I've never used)

Any help would be much appreciated

The 200k baht in the bank has been the same since the METV became available in November of 2015. A METV allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. Same for the return or onward ticket.

Two and 3 entry tourist visas have not been available since the METV became available.

You can still get a single entry tourist visa that will allow one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

There is no 30 day tourist visa. I think you a writing about a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office.

I've just checked my passport and the visa I got last year was category "Tourist Multiple  TR" and I'm sure that I did not have to present any bank documents documenting 200,000 baht at the Sydney Embassy. I haven't had that kind of money in my account for some time :). Nor did I have to show a return airfare ticket (actually that's an easier ask).

I wouldn't say these requirements are restrictive, to me they look extremely lenient. Return airfare is required by most countries and 200000 covers a 20 days stay for a tourist that isn't too extravagant.

17 minutes ago, mamboze said:

I've just checked my passport and the visa I got last year was category "Tourist Multiple  TR" and I'm sure that I did not have to present any bank documents documenting 200,000 baht at the Sydney Embassy. I haven't had that kind of money in my account for some time :). Nor did I have to show a return airfare ticket (actually that's an easier ask).

As far as I know the consulate in Sydney and the embassy in Canberra have always wanted the equivalent of 200k baht in the bank. The embassy website says $8000.

• Like 1

As far as I know the consulate in Sydney and the embassy in Canberra have always wanted the equivalent of 200k baht in the bank. The embassy website says $8000.

My METV was from Melbourne,Australia in January 2018. Required $8000 AUD balance for 3 months. No return airfare required but it is a pretty cheap to buy a BKK to Kuala Lumpur ticket for 1200 baht.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app