Exploring Retirement

I have a Non-Imm B visa that will expire the end of April 2007 with the termination of my present contract. I am over 55 and would like to explore the possibility of retiring in Thailand. Is there any way I can get in Thailand an extension or conversion of my present visa at the end of April that will permit me to remain here for x period of time while I decide about retiring here? If so, what kind of visa should I be seeking? Thanks.

In the last month of your contract/visa go to immigration and simply explain the situation and ask them to convert

your B visa to an Non Imm O and extend it for one year.

Expect to have to show a pension income of 65K a month or 800,000K in the bank.

The pension documents will need to be certified by your embassy.

Thanks.

Do you happen to know what one has to show the U.S. Embassy to satisfy the 65 K monthly income, or is it just swearing to the amount being received?

Also, assuming I get the "O," will this require my exiting LOS every three months?

Edited by mopenyang

When I went to the embassy in October to get my letter I didn't have to show them anything that proved I had the B65,000 p/m income. And when I went to Immigration the only document they wanted to see, concerning income, was the letter from the embassy.

When I went to the embassy in October to get my letter I didn't have to show them anything that proved I had the B65,000 p/m income. And when I went to Immigration the only document they wanted to see, concerning income, was the letter from the embassy.

Are you over age 62 and assumed to receive Social Security?...

If someone who was 55 years old (like the OP) would the embassy be as accommodating and assume you had the income?

If you have 800k in a bank account for 3 months or income of 65k per month or a combination of the two you can extend your stay at immigration. The fee is 1,900 baht and you will need bank passbook/copies, letter from bank confirming current bank balance (should match passbook), passport/copies, arrival card/copy, letter from Embassy if using pension/income and documents to support that letter. A 4x6cm photo current within 6 months is also required.

Embassy letters are now subject to examination of supporting proof by immigration so at immigration you should have the information your amount declared in Embassy letter is based on even if Embassy does not check this (as is the case with US Embassy where your sworn word is used).

If one was 55 years old and not receiving a Government/Company pension check what other income source is acceptable? Could a stock portfolio of $500,000 be acceptable as the 65,000 baht/month income source?

I looked at the Bangkok US Embassy website and could not find any information on their certification of income does anyone know where more info can be found? Maybe a link to a .pdf of the form the Embassy will certify? Thanks

Edited by sfokevin

You sign a sworn statement for the US Embassy letter that what you enter is correct. If you have tax payments to support that figure I suspect immigration will accept the letter. The letters now should have supporting evidence for immigration to review.

Are you over age 62 and assumed to receive Social Security?...

If someone who was 55 years old (like the OP) would the embassy be as accommodating and assume you had the income?

Yes, I am 62 and receiving SS. It appears the US embassy (consolate) is not asking any questions or asking for any proof that you have the income no mater what your age. lopburi3 has stated that Immigration now is requiring some backup paperwork proving the income but that was not the case in October 06 when I renewed my retirement visa.