Over 84 percent of people want revelers to wear traditional costumes during Songkran : Nida Poll

webfact

14 minutes ago, Faranginthai said:

Why is this poll given any credence or headlines at all.....1250 people polled out of population ~69 million or 0.0018%.....enjoy the water splashing....!!

Are you familiar with the rules for statistical sampling?

It's hard to believe.  :glare:  If 84% of the populace wants everyone else to wear 'traditional clothing', then I'd expect that those respondents would be wearing 'traditional clothing' themselves.  However, a casual observer walking through a Thai village on Songkran will not see 84% of the population sporting 'traditional clothing.'

Remember: There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

If 80% of the people wanted revelers to wear traditional costumes, 80%  of the revelers which I assume are people would be wearing traditional costumes.

so what's stopping them?

MONEY 

Yesterday (8 April) I went to Tesco Lotus on Ram Inthra many staff members were wearing apparent traditional Thai outfits. I also noticed they recently installed self checkout lanes to eliminate the number of cashiers needed. Thai tradition?

26 minutes ago, connda said:

It's hard to believe.  :glare:  If 84% of the populace wants everyone else to wear 'traditional clothing', then I'd expect that those respondents would be wearing 'traditional clothing' themselves.  However, a casual observer walking through a Thai village on Songkran will not see 84% of the population sporting 'traditional clothing.'

Remember: There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.  :thumbsup:

So true and 84% of how many ??????? eight

5 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

Jeeze,

What an obviously self serving poll and result.

Even with no sampling demographics and no indication of the actual survey questions, I am going to call " bullshit."

It is such a biased result.

It was Napoleon who started the present day craze for this sort of thing.

He would regularly get 102% approval ratings..

He kind of muffed it when he asked "Shall we march on Moscow?" and they all said "YES!"

Edited by Odysseus123

6 hours ago, captspectre said:

what about the falang tourist idiots who wear tank tops, and shorts, and walk around like a bunch of drunken fools  throwing water on everyone? what about the drunk females who wear next to nothing yet take offense when someone grabs their butt?

I'd really like to answer this and tell you, what I think about your post...but I like my posting rights!

Unfortunaley it's not said what Thainess means for Thai.

My understanding of Thainess has to do with retro culture in a museum country just to preserve ghosts and superstition in a country which lost direction into 2018.

And....to wear costumes has nothing to do with politeness. Or does anybody thinks that Thais would change their violent attitudes when wearing costumes????

This is very interesting - i.e. to claim that 84% of the people want others to wear traditional costumes during Songkran. I expect NO LESS THAN that figure (84%) to be wearing traditional costumes - OTHERWISE this poll is truely JUST ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR LIES!

Saw a couple of young ladies yesterday  wearing some type of traditional dress, with the pants that looked like the "Bombay dung hammocks" that the old Indian gents used to wear, so some younger people are taking notice of Uncle tuu, it seems.

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

If 80% of the people wanted revelers to wear traditional costumes, 80%  of the revelers which I assume are people would be wearing traditional costumes.

so what's stopping them?

they would prefer that others look stupid but not themselves

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

I'd really like to answer this and tell you, what I think about your post...but I like my posting rights!

what's the matter? can't conduct a conversation without using profanity or derogatory terms? that's what a dictionary is for!

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

10 hours ago, captspectre said:

what about the falang tourist idiots who wear tank tops, and shorts, and walk around like a bunch of drunken fools  throwing water on everyone? what about the drunk females who wear next to nothing yet take offense when someone grabs their butt?

Do you live in Chiang Mai ?

17 hours ago, captspectre said:

what's the matter? can't conduct a conversation without using profanity or derogatory terms? that's what a dictionary is for!

And where exactly did I use profanity?

I avoided it, as you can clearly see!

But...well...you post is such rubbish - f.e. implying, it is okay to harass women, if they are dressed in a certain way, because they kind of ask for it!

Got it now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1