Older Persons Budget, UK, how much?

1 hour ago, vogie said:

There is no difference between a static and a mobile home, suffice to say statics are not mobile. 

The price of a static is IMO is dictated by the site, the more sought after sites will charge what they like, whereas a site with less facilities will charge less, £20,000 is doable, my daughter told me that the electric is also included in the ground rent, however I cannot verify this.

The 'Mobile' suggestion is certainly worth considering as a bolt-hole for part time residents looking to maintain NHS etc. A bloke here does it but says thethe downside is that the ground rent at 60 p/w takes most of his pension. He is nonetheless happy at the arrangement.

Edited by evadgib
11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The 'Mobile' suggestion is certainly worth considering as a bolt-hole for part time residents looking to maintain NHS etc. A bloke here does it but says thethe downside is that the ground rent at 60 p/w takes most of his pension. He is nonetheless happy at the arrangement.

Some sites I have looked at, are as I said £1,500 a year, about £4 a day or £28 a week, my daughter said the electric is included, but I can't verify that at the moment. What does he get for £60 a week or £3000 a year, he must have a prime position site with clubhouse and the like. There are certainly much cheaper than that.

I have a house in England which I rent out, I don't think I'd like to live in it though, if I returned to the UK I would be looking to buy a static (I wouldn't be able to afford anything else) or even a motorhome, but could be a problem as I get even older. I am getting a little bored here, so returning is a possibility. But the cold is not good on old bones.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

I've been through all of that with him several times and his mind is made up, in part he's hankering to revisit some of the many things he's missed for a long time, architecture, the change in seasons, the countryside, an English pub for a pint, conversation beyond just banal, those sorts of things....he's actually quite level-headed and intelligent so this is not a whim. One thing he said to me recently when we were driving past the temple where they burn bodies......he said, have you ever seen that process, three or four chaps stood there pouring bottles of petrol onto the corpse and afterwards, taking a shovel to sift the big bone fragments from the dust, it's disgusting and degrading - I couldn't disagree. EDIT TO ADD: sorry I missed your question....he's lived here for the past twenty two years.

Considering he's been away for 22 years with no family back there and friends, if any, living different lives, he could end up quite a lonely chap.

Surely he could satisfy all those desires with a 6 month visit, including re-establishing his residency to get his pension updated. Get his free health checks / treatments, dental, optical etc.

I would also consider a property investment in selected areas of Thailand to be far more capital protective than the stagnant North of England. Considering he intends bequeathing his wealth to the Thai family, I presume he is happy with them and trusts them, but can anyway have a lease to cover his interest whilst alive.

I'm sure there must be some opportunities to meet like minded intelligent people to have meaningful conversations with, unless he lives in the middle of buffalo wallowing country. In which case maybe consider a move to a more populated area.

Whatever he decides, best of luck. Maybe not burn any bridges or make permanent commitments on his first exploration though.

• Like 1

Where ever he decided to settle other than London, I can assure you it is  cheaper to live in the UK. than here in the Land of Scams. I know because I do 6 months about and have done for past 15yrs.  Thailand is played out as a cheap destination if the sun didn’t shine not a sole would visit 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The two single retired women I know live extremely comfortably on their state pensions, one has an additional military pension but uses that entirely for trips overseas. 

If the person this query relates to is renting then why are they paying house insurance? 

Indeed why pay contents insurance? The stuff old people treasure is almost always irreplaceable photos, letters, trinkets of no monetary value but of immense personal value - If these things are stolen, burned in a fire or otherwise lost they can't be replaced. 

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I think this is a troll post but I'll give it the benefit.

I have been to five in the past 16 years, each one is exactly as I have described, the most recent four months ago and of a very senior local person. I have never seen or even heard of gas fired cremation in Thailand, never, anywhere. A part of that is that Thai relatives require larger bone fragments to keep rather than dust and gas fired cremations doesn't allow that. 

All the Wats in Pattaya have gas fired crematoriums. 

I am 78 years old and living in the UK.

Monthly council tax £105, (discounted)

I own the flat I live in, but I do have to pay £170 pm service charge and a £30 quarterly ground rent.

My grocery bill is usually around £100 pm (varies acording to how much beer included!)

Bus passes must be applied for from the county by the council tax payer.

Free tv licence also must be applied for with proof of age.

I hope this answers some of his questions.

One thing I will add, if he qualifies for NI Pension, get it up rated by the tax office on his return.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

All the Wats in Pattaya have gas fired crematoriums. 

I've never checked but I'll bet they don't, simply, it would be extremely odd if all the wats in Pattaya had gas fired crematoriums and almost none in Chiang Mai province did.

9 minutes ago, khunlungphudhu said:

I am 78 years old and living in the UK.

Monthly council tax £105, (discounted)

I own the flat I live in, but I do have to pay £170 pm service charge and a £30 quarterly ground rent.

My grocery bill is usually around £100 pm (varies acording to how much beer included!)

Bus passes must be applied for from the county by the council tax payer.

Free tv licence also must be applied for with proof of age.

I hope this answers some of his questions.

One thing I will add, if he qualifies for NI Pension, get it up rated by the tax office on his return.

Many thanks for that.

57 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

I find this interesting as well. I turned 70 last November and do not consider myself even slightly "elderly."  My mother, in the U.S., is 93 and her boyfriend is 91. He still pilots his own airplane, alone! And still works a 40 hour week selling industrial piling for boat docks in South Florida.  70 is the new 50...Lol. 

Which ever way you slice the cake, 70 is elderly.

4 hours ago, paulsingle said:

I have a 2 bedroom apartment in Basingstoke, Hampshire and the figures you've listed are realistic if one is careful with energy and thrifty with grocery shopping. 

However, go and join friends once a week for a few pints and a bite to eat and you can add at least £100 a month.

Absolutely after all fixed bills / mortgage etc  had been paid i liked to have 50000 baht equiavalent (£1000) for food / entertaininment / clothes. That gave me a pretty good life and eating drinking out once or twice per week..

• Like 1
4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I've been through all of that with him several times and his mind is made up, in part he's hankering to revisit some of the many things he's missed for a long time, architecture, the change in seasons, the countryside, an English pub for a pint, conversation beyond just banal, those sorts of things....he's actually quite level-headed and intelligent so this is not a whim. One thing he said to me recently when we were driving past the temple where they burn bodies......he said, have you ever seen that process, three or four chaps stood there pouring bottles of petrol onto the corpse and afterwards, taking a shovel to sift the big bone fragments from the dust, it's disgusting and degrading - I couldn't disagree. EDIT TO ADD: sorry I missed your question....he's lived here for the past twenty two years.

He's wise man. It's only when you get back you appreciate what you've been missing all those years. Thre's no place like home.

• Like 1

Based on what Vogie said earlier I've revisited the cost of renting versus buying and it does indeed make sense at his age, especially given his desire to preserve capital to pass along to others.

At £450 month rental per month for a one bed (per Rightmove) the annual net cost is only around £2,500 per year since interest income on the bulk of his capital will make up the difference - all his other costs are the same in both scenarios.

I believe I will try again to convince him on this point, many thanks Vogie, I'm grateful.

I still wouldn't mind though getting closer on the supermarket costs, if anyone can provide input.

Many thanks

• Like 1
4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

All valid points and much appreciated - the missing part of the jigsaw is that he doesn't have health insurance and almost certainly can't get it now except under extremely onerous terms and cost. And whilst he is currently in quite good health it is inevitable that this will change over time.

Regarding being watertight: I cannot begin to try and estimate how many hours I've spent on this subject with him. As things stand he has two linked wills, one for Thai based assets and the second for UK based assets - I am the executor of his Thai Will and a family member who is a UK Solicitor is his UK Executrix. Both Wills work together to ensure his assets end up where intended.

I hope when I need one I have a friend who seems as switched on and concerned as you are.  Your friend is a lucky man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Based on what Vogie said earlier I've revisited the cost of renting versus buying and it does indeed make sense at his age, especially given his desire to preserve capital to pass along to others.

At £450 month rental per month for a one bed (per Rightmove) the annual net cost is only around £2,500 per year since interest income on the bulk of his capital will make up the difference - all his other costs are the same in both scenarios.

I believe I will try again to convince him on this point, many thanks Vogie, I'm grateful.

I still wouldn't mind though getting closer on the supermarket costs, if anyone can provide input.

Many thanks

Not quite, renting he will not have the expense of building insurance and maintenance, and even less outlay if he rents a furnished property.

An added bonus being peace of mind, less hassle / stress / effort assuming he gets a genuine, decent and responsible landlord.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The Council Tax quote is live and from the Council where he will live - property costs however are outside of my remit..

Need to know how much money the guy has to buy a one bedroom flat? What type of income does he have? Pensions or other incomes, how many and how much in total?

Taking an educated guess, after purchasing a property, about £300 per week in the UK would be a reasonable estimate that would get him by if he`s careful with his spending.

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

Need to know how much money the guy has to buy a one bedroom flat? What type of income does he have? Pensions or other incomes, how many and how much in total?

Taking an educated guess, after purchasing a property, about £300 per week in the UK would be a reasonable estimate that would get him by if he`s careful with his spending.

Post 22 describes income and savings.

Your spending figures seem high compared to other earlier (and mine) estimates, remember, he's 70 years old and single in a one bed.

He's 70 years old in June so yes, he will qualify for a bus pass.

I've been round and round with him regarding buy vs rent. He's determined to buy because he wants to preserve his capital which he sees as extremely important, capital preservation is one of his motivations for going back. He's one of those people you just know he's going to live for another 20 years at least.

He wants to move to Lancaster which is not a bad choice at all, plenty of available lower cost accommodation, low crime and a vibrant place to live - being on the edge of The Lakes is a bonus of course, being near to Morecambe, less so.

one qualifies for bus pass aged SIXTY not 70.....when 70 have to retake driving test

• Like 1

I've just returned to  the UK and am renting while I look for a place to buy.

I 'm younger than 70 (62) and am going to buy because I don't want to be in the situation of always being able to be turfed out at a landlord's whim with two months notice, and could benefit from capital gains on a purchase (even though I am living in London). Also London rents are so huge that renting would feel too much like throwing vast sums down the toilet for the rest of your life.  However it is certainly true that renting would free up far more capital.

I am lucky in that I was aware from a very young age that a UK State Pension represents basic poverty line living and so took out every other pension I could afford. My US private one withdrawn as a lump sum is helping me to buy a 2 bed flat, and I have a UK private, UK state and US State coming on line within the next 5 years, which together with investments will come to over 30,000GBP so I don't have a problem thank goodness.

My outgoings last month in London :

1300  rent

internet/phone/tv package 30

water 30

gas/electric 31  (gas is three times cheaper than electricity so always choose gas heating)

council tax 95

tv license 12.25

travel 0  (London 60+ card bus rail tube all free)

food/entertainment/booze/ coffees eating out etc 480  (no attempt to economise at all)

If you exclude rent which will disappear soon it's around 700 per month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since he has his mind made up and not taking advice, I would say Bye Bye what is the point of you wasteing your time. I am 72 this chap doesn't seem like he really need advice

• Like 1

One thing he said to me recently when we were driving past the temple where they burn bodies......he said, have you ever seen that process, three or four chaps stood there pouring bottles of petrol onto the corpse and afterwards, taking a shovel to sift the big bone fragments from the dust, it's disgusting and degrading - I couldn't disagree. 

Complete nonsense. I stay right next to a big (Wat Tha Thong) on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok which has gas fired burners, like many (& i suppose all) other temples. And for the record, in the last 25 years here, I have attended many many cremations at various temples. Not once have i seen people crowding the burning corpse pouring petrol over it from bottles. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The £5 per month is a real quote on contents only in the postcode where he will live so it's pretty certain.

I think you overestimate the grocery spend for an older single person, I spent an hour or so on Tesco UK online lookimg at prices and I reckon £50 a week is doable, assuming he cooks for himself which he will. I'll be interested however to hear from others on this point to see what they think.

£50 about right.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Whilst your bus pass has to be obtained from your local authority it is valid for all off peak local bus travel within England.
You can’t use it on National Express or inter city routes.
If you live in London your Freedom Pass also allows off peak travel on the Underground.

As a holder of a London freedom pass it gives 24/7 access to buses and tube (not just off peak). It can also be used on the local overground rail (eg Waterloo to Vauxhall) but only after 09:30 so that is kind of off peak. In addition you also get local busses free throughout England. Confusingly but usefully, although National Express is out, I have used mine on the local service  from Hull to York.

• Like 1
one qualifies for bus pass aged SIXTY not 70.....when 70 have to retake driving test
I'm sorry but neither of those answers are correct, bus passes in England are issued to those who have reached the State Pension age for women, I think that's currently 66.
If you live in Scotland and Wales, and maybe London, it's still 60.
You don't have to retake your driving test at 70 but you do need to renew your driving licence when you reach 70, and every three years thereafter. To renew your licence you need to complete a form D46P, which the DVLA should send automatically.
  • Like 2