All Bombing Suspects Released

george

All bombing suspects freed

BANGKOK: -- All 18 suspects linked to the New Year's Eve bombings have been released after police failed to produce sufficient evidence by yesterday's deadline for detention without charge.

Only one civilian, identified publicly for the first time as Krissada Thibbadee, has been charged, with illegal possession of firearms and munitions. He is one of four civilians taken into police custody seven days ago.

Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas said earlier that nine suspects had been released. Two of them were released in the afternoon and another seven later in the evening.

Boonrawd said there would be further investigation where police had failed to produce evidence to support a prosecution.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, as head of the Internal Security Operations Command, will decide who handles further investigation.

"It could be the Department of Special Investigation that looks into matters not covered by the police," he added.

A police source said the nine suspects would be watched until police were positive they had no role in the attacks.

Another police source said three or four suspects would be charged with illegal possession of explosives soon.

Surayud described the latest information about the bombings given him by national police chief Kowit Wattana as "good progress".

"I think the police chief has shown dedication and made a considerable contribution to solving the case," he added.

--TNA 2007-01-27

All bombing suspects freed

"I think the police chief has shown dedication and made a considerable contribution to solving the case," he added.

Oh my god... It's a festival ! Day after day, shame and more shame on Thailand.

So now, I hope Sonthi is going to stick to his words : and cut off the chief of police...

Who is obviously a clown.

And Surayud too should start to... stop smiling and use the axe... I mean, he was bullshitted by the chief police the day before....Surayud described the latest information about the bombings given him by national police chief Kowit Wattana as "good progress".

Back to square one. Maybe the "real" investigation could start now...

Edited by cclub75

Police admitted of lacking evidence in BKK bombings case

Pol. Lt. Gen. Jongrak Juthanond (จงรัก จุฑานนท์), the Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner-general, has admitted that the evidence at hand is not enough for the court to allow the police to issue arrest warrants against any of the Bangkok bombings' suspects.

Meanwhile, Royal Thai Police commissioner-general Kowit Wattana said the police have done their best to achieve the objective of identifying the suspects of this case.

The police investigated the nine bombing sites and examined all evidence at the Office of Police Forensic Science and all nine suspects.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 January 2007

So: all-in-all, they've got nothing and nobody linked to the bombings (Mr. T., southern Muslims etc.).

The positive side is that the Thai Police is 'walking on eggs' in order to try and make no mistakes....

LaoPo

I called it in another thread when I said these guys were all scapegoats. It just seems entirely too implausible that all these high ranking "politically inconvenient for the current regime" military men would be responsible. It seems like the police chief was trying to curry favor by arresting potential competition in the usual pin the tail on the donkey but bungled it horribly.

Police investigations and events (South not included):

1 school burned = nothing

2 school burned = nothing

3 school burned = nothing

4 school burned = nothing

5 school burned = nothing

6 school burned = nothing

7 school burned = nothing

8 school burned = nothing

9 school burned = nothing

10 school burned = nothing

11 school burned = nothing

12 school burned = nothing

13 school burned = nothing

14 school burned = nothing

15 school burned = nothing

16 school burned = nothing

17 school burned = nothing

18 school burned = nothing

19 school burned = nothing

20 school burned = nothing

21 Bomb at Prem's residence = nothing

22 Bomb at Khunying Prnthip's office = nothing

23 Bomb at Chamlong's "compund" = nothing

24 Bomb at Thaksin residence = still nothing

25 New Year's eve bombings = nothing

26 tourist attacked with machette, police tried to tell her that she imagined the episode. = nothing

27 last cop who pulled me over for nothing = got nothing (I took off)

28 murder case in the proximity of Shin = nothing

29 Thaksin protesters attacked @ Central World plaza = police did nothing

30 Thaksin's son pushed and shoved when appeared for testimony = police did nothing

31 motorcycle taxi drivers sieged Sonthi L.'s office = nothing

32 Kamnan Poh on the run = nothing

33 Democrat rally interrupted and members attacked in Chiang Mai = nothing

34 PAD leaders attacked at Udon Thani University = nothing

35 Nation local news editor attacked in Chiang Mai = nothing

Does anyone see a pattern here? :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

26 tourist attacked with machette, police tried to tell her that she imagined the episode. = nothing

30 Thaksin's son pushed and shoved when appeared for testimony = police did nothing

You forgot the "drug war" incidents - a few thousand of them.

I dont see nothing!

:D was always a farce.the guys were obviously innocent.third world country ?close to it. useless police force? possibly. but at least there are rules regarding how long they can be held.if we were policed by dubya theyd be in guantanamo or some dodgy torture centre somewhere for a lot longer than 28 days :o

:D was always a farce.the guys were obviously innocent.third world country ?close to it. useless police force? possibly. but at least there are rules regarding how long they can be held.if we were policed by dubya theyd be in guantanamo or some dodgy torture centre somewhere for a lot longer than 28 days :o

I hate to say it but yes you are not far wrong on the dubya and no rights comment. Suspects in a terrorism case enjoying more rights in Thailand under military rule than in the "free" US.

What makes you think the military guys DIDN'T do it?

Here's another view.

The Military and Police mafias have always hated each other. So the Police say 'ok, we'll investigate' then they go off and actually arrest the guys who DID BOMB Bangkok. A direct challenge to the CNS.

The CNS and gov't totally flip out. 'How dare you!' and in response CNS/Surayud call for a parallel investigation. CNS and Kowit meet - his judgment is questioned - he faces losing his job (and maybe more) a deal is done and he backs down and 'voila' a few days later all 15 military officers walk free - charges dropped.

The case remains a mystery...and they get more time to pin it on Thaksin (whom I despise by the way).

Here's another view.

The Military and Police mafias have always hated each other. So the Police say 'ok, we'll investigate' then they go off and actually arrest the guys who DID BOMB Bangkok. A direct challenge to the CNS.

The CNS and gov't totally flip out. 'How dare you!' and in response CNS/Surayud call for a parallel investigation. CNS and Kowit meet - his judgment is questioned - he faces losing his job (and maybe more) a deal is done and he backs down and 'voila' a few days later all 15 military officers walk free - charges dropped.

The case remains a mystery...and they get more time to pin it on Thaksin (whom I despise by the way).

it seems really strange to me that there seems to be more of the old retired so called resident farang who have nothing but bad words to say about Taksin than the average Thai does - just a comment - I for one think that despite his management methods he was steering Thailand in the right direction. There is no government in any country = The UK - the US or even Aust that cannot claim the perfect government -- remember the saying - Power corrupts - Absolute power absolutly corrupts -- the most of the thais i know and this is considerable from all walks of life here - Army Officers = Police Officers - Public servents - all dont think as you guys do --- some even consider him as a role model -- after His Majesty of course

Here's another view.

it seems really strange to me that there seems to be more of the old retired so called resident farang who have nothing but bad words to say about Taksin than the average Thai does - just a comment - I for one think that despite his management methods he was steering Thailand in the right direction. There is no government in any country = The UK - the US or even Aust that cannot claim the perfect government -- remember the saying - Power corrupts - Absolute power absolutly corrupts -- the most of the thais i know and this is considerable from all walks of life here - Army Officers = Police Officers - Public servents - all dont think as you guys do --- some even consider him as a role model -- after His Majesty of course

You're so right Mike, that's why 10 million Thais wrote no to Thaksin on their ballot papers in the last election.

He was certainly steering Thailand towards Singapore in more ways than one.

Under Thaksin there was no investigation of corruption.

There were dozens of libel cases, like Singapore, suing anyone for millions who suggested his business had benefited from changes in laws.

There were attempts to buy up every MP, like Singapore he wanted no opposition.

The checks and balances were impotent, look at the last EC.

As you say, absolute power corrupts absolutely and there's no better example in modern Thailand than old 'na liam'.

Here's another view.

"You're so right Mike, that's why 10 million Thais wrote no to Thaksin on their ballot papers in the last election." Nothing to do with the fact that the major opposition party refused to participate in the democratic process?

"He was certainly steering Thailand towards Singapore in more ways than one.

Under Thaksin there was no investigation of corruption." of members of the previous legally deposed government.

"There were dozens of libel cases, like Singapore, suing anyone for millions who suggested his business had benefited from changes in laws." If such a statement is made as fact, it IS libelous unless proved in a court to be true.

"There were attempts to buy up every MP, like Singapore he wanted no opposition.

The checks and balances were impotent, look at the last EC." The same EC that was imprisoned while Taksin was acting Prime Minister?

"As you say, absolute power corrupts absolutely and there's no better example in modern Thailand than old 'na liam'." perhaps corruption but... absolute? And after five months of trying to find enough evidence to bring a single corruption charge to court, ... nothing. Doesn't sound very 'absolute'.

Edited by blaze

This certainly does nothing to advance the image of the Royal Thai Police. :o

That is right, it is called a Junta, and Junta's use to create their own version of the truth. Soon Sonthi is starring as Big brother, and Surayud will lead the department of truth. How silly was the statement that Sonthi made, that the people were not guilty, because the bomb making materials, guns, detonators and other materials were there because of their profession. Sonthi stated that if they searched his house they would find numerous weapons too. How sweet, which professional army allows their soldiers to take home ammunition, handgrenades, and explosives.... indeed it is a joke.....

That is right, it is called a Junta, and Junta's use to create their own version of the truth. Soon Sonthi is starring as Big brother, and Surayud will lead the department of truth. How silly was the statement that Sonthi made, that the people were not guilty, because the bomb making materials, guns, detonators and other materials were there because of their profession. Sonthi stated that if they searched his house they would find numerous weapons too. How sweet, which professional army allows their soldiers to take home ammunition, handgrenades, and explosives.... indeed it is a joke.....

I think you're making a mistake : the joke is not the junta... in this case it's the police.

Who can believe that a bunch of terrorists soldiers would leave in their homes... some of the gears they used to make the New Year Eve's bombs ? And who would wait quietly to be arrested... I mean even by thai standards, it's difficult to be so stupid, right ?

However, I don't say that the military (and even the junta itself) are not involved. It's still possible.

But, this police raid against a bunch of guys, was a total joke.

-"Okay guys, we need to find people with explosives"

-"Chief, chief ! I know a soldier who have some in his appartement !"

-"Okay, let's catch him"

On the question of having guns at home, the only reasons I can think of is because of the state of the country.

I would suspect if a plumber was on call at night he would have the company truck with him at home.

I would think that police would have their guns with them a home.

Seeing is how martial law was in effect at the time police came looking, I would see some logic in military men having weapons at home in the event of an emergency and they needed to deploy quickly. Seeing of the rumor of a counter coup, I can see logic in having guns at home.

As for explosives, that is a bit of a push, but still because of martial law it may be considered part of being ready.

As for explosives, that is a bit of a push, but still because of martial law it may be considered part of being ready.

You flimsy attempts of justifying your support of the military turns even more comical than usual.

Today on ITV one of the released soldiers was interviewed, and he stated that he knew the guilty parties, could though not reveal them, because they were higher ranked officers most likely found in the special warfare command in Lopburi, and asked them to come forward to take responsibility. Hmmm...

Will we get to know the guilty parties? I doubt.

Blaming the police here in this case is maybe fashionable, but given the enormous military interference and usual lobbying for their own i believe the larger problem is with the military. When even Gen. Sonthi, known as one of the softer parties of the junta, is making a ridiculous statement that it is normal for soldiers to keep explosives in their homes, than you can only imagine to what extend the hardliners go so that the name of the military is not smeared by the much hated police.

Military and police always had a disfunctional relationship here, even transcending the rivalries within the forces. But that is not about good boys in green vs. bad boys in brown.

May i bring to your attention that the last political massaker in '92 was performed by the military, and not the police. And strangely enough, soldiers of the Special Warfare command, then commanded by Gen. Surayud and under him Gen. Sonthi, took part, the investigation into this incident until today not released to the public.

Also the drugwar killings were not just performed by the police, but by all armed forces. Including, and especially the border police (which was not primarily loyal to Thaksin).

The investigation into the bombing has been hindered from day one, and most likely not by the so called incompetence of the police, which, if you have any experience with the police, is not as far as incompetent as farang urban rumor here makes you believe. In cases they have to solve, they generally are amazingly efficient due to their excellent intelligence network. But when the culprit is within the higher ranks of the army, then they usually reach their limits soon.

But i doubt that any presentation of facts can shake you from your mistaken trust in the goodness of the army, and your own somewhat strange reasoning.

SJ, All I was doing was looking at things from another point of view to spark some debate. I tend to agree it is far fetched, but it is the only plausible reason I could think of. Please let me clarify my position on the new government. I am not pro nor anti on it, I only want to give them a chance to do what they said they would. To criticize them or anyone before they have had a chance to complete what they are doing is rude unless it is invited criticism looking for input. Simply put it is Thai business.

However as long as we are on the topic for just a moment (and slightly off topic for this thread), I may add this recommendation. I would recommend that in the drafting process that certain key laws be made that can only be changed with the blessings of the King. Those laws key to national security and to fighting corruption. Thaksin has show the need for that as he changed laws on the fly for his own personal needs.

Now back on topic, the bombers could have been anyone, but supporters of Thaksin and Thaksin have the most to gain by it but only in the first few days. At this point because nearly everyone almost immediately saw Thaksin as being involved, the word of mouth and rumors will no doubt find it’s way into Thaksin supporter country. I think it will further erode his support base so even if he did come back he may not have the votes to regain power. Why give someone power who would bomb innocent people for his own gain. I feel that thinking transcends all levels of Thai society.

Edited by John K

I don't think the Thai Police have a clue on what they are looking for. Its a guessing game with them..They are just trying to make everyone think they are doing there job. The police force here needs a complete revamping from the top down. They should look within the department.. where the the real crimminals are.