What's new in truck world ??

So we have just sold our 2010 Ford Ranger.. Well, more like we are renting it to our rubber cutter for 6 years then he gets to keep it :) He can't afford a down payment, so Mrs CC decided it would be a good idea to let him have it and pay over 6 years (5k per month)... Don't ask me why he couldn't just save 5k per month until he had a deposit !!

Anyway, we got rid of an 8yr old truck that has been good as gold, for a reasonable price and the rubber cutter is happy...

Now that puts me back in the market for a new truck !!! Loved the Ranger and never had any major issues but not a dedicated Ford fanboy, so open to all suggestions with supporting reasons... I will be doing my own research, before any one gives me grief, just looking for opinions from the TVF massive... We have an old Nissan, so not in any desperate hurry, in case there are new models coming soon !! Ford have got 0% finance again at the moment, which always gives me a woody....

So, what says you motoring gurus ??  TransAm, get in there 1st pal...

• Like 2

I was bullied by wife & daughter into the new Isuzu 1.9 but I have to say I was impressed after a few long trips.

I bought the motorbike I wanted don't care much about car/trucks.

We have a car Honda City as well and I find in our needs and situation that works well having a truck and a car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

The Ranger is still the best truck available here, especially towards to top of the range. If you drive on roads none of the others can hold a candle to it.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Whats with this Road Thing, some provinces are bad, but im sure many posters here never need Tractors or Submarines, a normal car is O.K. for a non tradie, but not very Yobbo n Gold Chain admittedly.

11 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Must admit, after reading the thread about the Everest v Tuna, someone did mention the Honda CRV and it does look interesting... After all we have an old pick up for donkey work, so a nice car, for longer trips, might be the go !!

Be nice if Honda sold their  pickup here  "Ridgeline"

https://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

The Ranger is still the best truck available here, especially towards to top of the range. If you drive on roads none of the others can hold a candle to it.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Try the Colorado, I tried  both Ranger and Colorado found the Ranger   wallowy, sloppy  handling and for an alleged 200hp pretty tame and tests confirmed it here

mph  pick ups.jpg

Edited by kannot

33 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Whats with this Road Thing, some provinces are bad, but im sure many posters here never need Tractors or Submarines, a normal car is O.K. for a non tradie, but not very Yobbo n Gold Chain admittedly.

I think he means on pure road driving, the Ranger wins... But off road not so sure !

19 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think he means on pure road driving, the Ranger wins... But off road not so sure !

The Ranger wins in most off road  tests I saw from Australia but to be honest how many people really take their pick up to extreme limits, I found the Colorado way more to my liking but its always going to be personal, certainly on the road when  i drove them yesterday I much preferred the Colorado

• Like 1

Difficult question really, depends on usage, how long you want to keep it, not bothered about the stop light drags etc or gizmo's..

For me in LOS reliability and if a problem can get it fixed easily, that's why l have a Toyota, but if l were in farangland l might not. If I had the dosh I would buy this in the same colour with a free tin of their wax...:stoner:

revo.jpg.85dc9945f8a3344455124ac6c372c57b.jpg

3 hours ago, transam said:

Difficult question really, depends on usage, how long you want to keep it, not bothered about the stop light drags etc or gizmo's..

For me in LOS reliability and if a problem can get it fixed easily, that's why l have a Toyota, but if l were in farangland l might not. If I had the dosh I would buy this in the same colour with a free tin of their wax...:stoner:

revo.jpg.85dc9945f8a3344455124ac6c372c57b.jpg

Thought I would be keeping the Ranger longer but the missus had other plans :)

We clocked up 180k in just under 8 years, so I guess we are medium/high usage ? I don't need high performance but prefer good fuel economy... Gizmos !! Never had them so not sure if I like/need them but a touch more comfort than the XLT wouldn't go unappreciated :)

No requirement for 4x4 and we don't tow a boat either... I'm interested in as much safety as possible, which would point to the top end, rather than middle level..

Probably prefer at least a double cab for passenger comfort this time but as said above, might not even get another pick up ?

3 hours ago, kannot said:

I found the Colorado way more to my liking but its always going to be personal, certainly on the road when  i drove them yesterday I much preferred the Colorado

Is there anything new though with the Colorado or is it same engines as before new bodywork etc.

Isuzu has the new 1.9 diesel engine.

20 hours ago, phetphet said:

I did read somewhere that the Ford Ranger Raptor would be coming out in Thailand 2018. 

Here is a youtube video I just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2k4EeqAvTQ

With the smallest engine they could find in the cupboard.

Maybe tickled to have high power by electronic wizardry, but a bigger engine in a pickup like that would be much nicer.

The trailer can only be 2200 kilo!

7 hours ago, kannot said:

Try the Colorado, I tried  both Ranger and Colorado found the Ranger   wallowy, sloppy  handling and for an alleged 200hp pretty tame and tests confirmed it here

mph  pick ups.jpg

:sleepy:  :sleep:

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Thought I would be keeping the Ranger longer but the missus had other plans :)

We clocked up 180k in just under 8 years, so I guess we are medium/high usage ? I don't need high performance but prefer good fuel economy... Gizmos !! Never had them so not sure if I like/need them but a touch more comfort than the XLT wouldn't go unappreciated :)

No requirement for 4x4 and we don't tow a boat either... I'm interested in as much safety as possible, which would point to the top end, rather than middle level..

Probably prefer at least a double cab for passenger comfort this time but as said above, might not even get another pick up ?

What did you value your 2010 Ranger at? We have one of the same year and thinking to sell.

21 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Kwasaki

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 15.22.38.png

You can buy a nice SUV for that I guess, don't see the point.

The engine must be along BM lines like the new 1.9 Isuzu lump is suppose to be.

Our Isuzu was only 800k and a bit. :laugh:

• Like 1

I’ve had two Izusu D-Max and now MUX. Good running no issues. I like 

the Ford truck style but each to there own. Would’ve looked at the Ford

trucks but to get the wife to negotiate or even go to dealer is like getting a true vegan to eat raw meat. The plan when we bought the MUX was another D-Max she saw the MUX and it was either find a way to shut her

up..... soooo we got the MUX.  

There is an upside the older truck Papa would borrow everyday as long as it had fuel. The MUX never asked. 

• Haha 1

First thing you must decide is what you want petrol or diesel to start with then you must look at what is available if you want a 4 door or a 2 door, remembering that the 2 door gives you more room in the cargo bay, then you must look at the names of the vehicles for an example: Isuzu also builds the Chev Colorado and the Holden Rodeo, same motor and running gear as the Isuzu.

Went to help my son buy a Ford Raptor in USA. No discount and have to wait for it about 3 to 6 months. All other trucks in USA are heavily discounted but not the Raptor. When the smaller Raptor comes to Thailand expect a high price. May be worth it but it will cost more and perform like a dream. I expect it to be a huge success for those that can pay a lot more money. 

Son ended up buying a Chevrolet truck and loves it but as I understand Chevy is considering leaving the Asian truck market. 

Transam is correct about Toyota. All the Thai women and guys I know want me to buy the Ford Ranger for looks and cool but I want to keep my truck for 20 years so I am probably buying the new Toyota.  

I am very tall and the Isuzu just felt like it was not made for big big guys IMO. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Is there anything new though with the Colorado or is it same engines as before new bodywork etc.

Isuzu has the new 1.9 diesel engine.

The engines have been much improved  according to Australian tests, less  noisy and they have a lot of  torque. HAs that Isuzu got much torque, sure mpg will be  good but theres  always a price to pay somewhere