Keeping a "Retirement Visa" valid when exiting LOS

I've just renewed my 18th annual "retirement visa" March 2018.
However I will have to exit LOS for the first time in along time,  and I'm well out of touch.

What do I need from Jomptien to keep that visa valid until I return?

If I'm gone to the UK for say 6 months does that time get added on when I return?
i.e. it would normally expire March 2019 but add 6 months 'cos I was out of LOS ?

What if I'm still in the UK past March 2019? Would the whole "retirement visa" be void?

Do I need to be aware of any stamps at the airport outward or inward?

Is there still a cash payment at departure?

A lot of questions. Maybe someone could just link me to a previous thread?

You will need to get a re-entry permit to keep your extension valid when you enter the country. The re-entry permit will be valid to the date your extension ends in March 2019.

You will the a entry stamp equal to the date your extension ends. A re-entry permit adds no days to your permit to stay.

If you do not enter the country on or before the date your extension ends you will have to start all over again by getting a new non-o visa.

25 minutes ago, Reluctant Traveller said:

What do I need from Jomptien to keep that visa valid until I return?

A single entry re-entry permit. It costs 1,000 baht.

25 minutes ago, Reluctant Traveller said:

If I'm gone to the UK for say 6 months does that time get added on when I return?

No. When you return you will be stamped in for the remainder of your current permission to stay (March 2019).

26 minutes ago, Reluctant Traveller said:

What if I'm still in the UK past March 2019? Would the whole "retirement visa" be void?

Yes.

If that happens, and you are in receipt of state pension, you can easily get a new non-immigrant 'O' visa based on retirement. That will enable you to re-enter for 90 days, and during the last 30 (maybe 45) days of the 90 you can apply for a new 1 year extension of stay ("retirement visa"). If you're under state retirement age, you can get a non 'O-A' visa (more paperwork/requirements than the 'O') that would give you 1 year on entry and can be extended at the end of that year, OR enter as a Tourist and apply for the non-immigrant visa once in Thailand. 

32 minutes ago, Reluctant Traveller said:

Do I need to be aware of any stamps at the airport outward or inward?

They will stamp you out with the usual departure stamp showing the date you leave. When you come back make sure you make the IO aware of your re-entry permit and that the entry stamp gives you permission to stay until March. If a mistake is made on entry you can get it fixed in Jomtien.

34 minutes ago, Reluctant Traveller said:

Is there still a cash payment at departure?

No.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Reluctant Traveller said:

Is the departure date required before I request this permit ?

You can put any date on the TM8 application form for the departure and return dates. Some offices will even allow you to leave them blank.

The dates are not show on the re-entry permit stamp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1